Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

In our culture it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on vices, etc., while refusing to take care of one's self or purchase health insurance.

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM
  • 253 Replies
7 moms liked this

From Facebook:

During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive Shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive
Brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

... While glancing over her Patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medic...aid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.

[Am I] expected to pay for this woman's health care?

I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance.

It is a culture based on the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
STARNER JONES, MD
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM

BUMP!

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM
8 moms liked this
There have been people like this for decades. This president did not create it. And I be to differ there isnt a shortage of nurses and doctors
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM
6 moms liked this
A patients health insurance should never be listed for anyone to see to begin with! Yes there are stupid people, but I want to believe that they are the minority! Most people work but because the system is for-profit, a lot of regular families can't afford good health insurance!

I think we should have universal/socialized healthcare. Basically I don't think people should be denied care because they are stupid. 8% of the amount paid to each employee goes into the system, and small fees for doctors visits and medications. No for-profit insurance companies and if you have a frivolous lawsuit against your doctor you will have to pay all lawyer fees, yours and his!
That might take down the cost. at the same time we wouldn't need all these administrators that eat up so much money within the hospitals trying to file paperwork and make calls to get the money in.
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

There have been people like this for decades. This president did not create it. And I be to differ there isnt a shortage of nurses and doctors

I agree that this has nothing to do with President Obama.  I edited the op so this discussion doesn't get off track.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Healthystart30:

A patients health insurance should never be listed for anyone to see to begin with! Yes there are stupid people, but I want to believe that they are the minority! Most people work but because the system is for-profit, a lot of regular families can't afford good health insurance!

I think we should have universal/socialized healthcare. Basically I don't think people should be denied care because they are stupid. 8% of the amount paid to each employee goes into the system, and small fees for doctors visits and medications. No for-profit insurance companies and if you have a frivolous lawsuit against your doctor you will have to pay all lawyer fees, yours and his!
That might take down the cost. at the same time we wouldn't need all these administrators that eat up so much money within the hospitals trying to file paperwork and make calls to get the money in.

Even the doctor?

A patients health insurance should never be listed for anyone to see to begin with!

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM
6 moms liked this

There are people who have money for nice things, even luxuries that refuse to pay for health care insurance. It makes no sense. If you have the money, do the responsible thing and protect your health and pocketbook.

PerfectVirgo
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw (and shared) that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:40 PM
7 moms liked this

Isn't that the truth!  I have been shocked at the Moms here at CM ( In other groups) who talk about their tattoos, piercings, having their nails done, their eyebrows threaded, their bikini waxes or Brazilian ( stupid idea and expensive), their nights out at the bars,etc. ....all of those things add up to LOTS of money. BUT then they reveal that they have no money, they wait for a tax refund ( and they will spend it, not save it) and then they say they don't want to spend any money on HEALTH CARE!  OMG! They will go the the ER! Makes me want to scream,!

If you are curious, I will tell you how we saved over $10,000 in the 1970's for a down payment on a house in only three years. ( Hint: I never have a manicure, no tattoos, no waxes...I sewed my clothes and most of the kiddies clothes except for jeans and outerwear....we didn't go to movies. We had one TV) And if we needed to pay for health care, we would have had the money for the whole family's health plan. For sure.

Ohhhh,boy, I get really fed up with these sponges. They have such bad judgment and throw good money away.

End of rant.

lga1965
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly !

Quoting Sisteract:

There are people who have money for nice things, even luxuries that refuse to pay for health care insurance. It makes no sense. If you have the money, do the responsible thing and protect your health and pocketbook.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I can't say I would not be thinking the same thing.

Although, acquiring health care isn't always as easy or as cost effective as many think.

But yes, tattoos are expensive, for the most part.  If one has the money to spend hundreds of dollars on them they should be able to save enough to acquire some form of health insurance.

Then again, to be quite honest, some one like described would have me thinking she has something going on the side, something less than legal, that affords her all of her extras.

Yes, once in a while I have horrible thoughts about people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)