Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In our culture it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on vices, etc., while refusing to take care of one's self or purchase health insurance.

Posted by   + Show Post

From Facebook:

During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive Shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive
Brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

... While glancing over her Patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medic...aid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.

[Am I] expected to pay for this woman's health care?

I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance.

It is a culture based on the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
STARNER JONES, MD
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Replies (51-60):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
That, to me, is sad and wrong. It shouldn't matter what kind of ins someone has, everyone should get the same care. Who's to say that one (or all) of those people rushed through didn't need the same tests your son had? And instead of catching something early, it was missed and will end up being harder (and costing more) to treat.

But I'm not a fan of for profit healthcare, yes Drs, nurses, etc., should make a good wage, but hospitals should not in business merely to make money.

Quoting Mystres:

They have to know the persons Health insurance status to know how far they can take medical care. 

I remember a few months back I had to take my kid in to the ER  I was there for 7 hours.  And I can tell you they ran every test under the sun they could on my kid.  But when the people around me came in, and as i noticed them ask what is your insurance, the ones with GOVT insurance were  in  and out with in 30-45 minutes.

Quoting Healthystart30:

A patients health insurance should never be listed for anyone to see to begin with! Yes there are stupid people, but I want to believe that they are the minority! Most people work but because the system is for-profit, a lot of regular families can't afford good health insurance!

I think we should have universal/socialized healthcare. Basically I don't think people should be denied care because they are stupid. 8% of the amount paid to each employee goes into the system, and small fees for doctors visits and medications. No for-profit insurance companies and if you have a frivolous lawsuit against your doctor you will have to pay all lawyer fees, yours and his!

That might take down the cost. at the same time we wouldn't need all these administrators that eat up so much money within the hospitals trying to file paperwork and make calls to get the money in.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this

I think that wants over needs have been a problem for this country for some time.  The more social programs we add the more of these people we create.  While the programs have good intentions; personal responsiblity is the cornerstone of a physically and mentally healthy person.

People don't want to pay hc for someone that is a heavy smoker or overweight.  Blowing your money on wants and ignoring needs is just as irresponsible.

Medical staff have to know what kind of insurance you have because they pay differently...and what/how they pay is critical to care.  Don't blame the doctor/nurse..blame the government that regulates the ins industry.

btamilee
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I did know that the developmentally disabled receive Medicaid.  Deserve is a very strong word for me.  Fraud happens every single day, and for me.......it all starts with personal responsibility.  Life is hard, and I find that way too many people expect to have it all, without making whatever sacrifices are needed to get to where they need to be.  I find it very sad that so many people in this country have so sense of pride....

Quoting kidlover2:

I work for the ARC. Do you realize that most of the developmentally disabled receive Medicaid? Please tell me why you think they don't deserve it?? That's how I also know about all the fraud that goes on. I know of two coworkers in my one house that was fired for committing fraud... That's a house with 8 employees over the course of 18 months.

Quoting btamilee: I am really curious at to why you feel that most of the Medicaid recipients that you know deserve every penny they get? 
Quoting kidlover2:The point she is making is that this is a type of person that Medicaid haters love to rub in everybody's face of why Medicaid doesn't work. #1 Shockingly... Medicaid fraud is committed hands down more by the doctors and companies that handle the insurances. #2 For a $400 doctor charge, Medicaid will hand them $76. So in a sense you are paying for the working poor and disabled through your health insurance, not so much your taxes. Do I know some deadbeats of society that collect fs and welfare and "abuse" the system. Yes, kinda. I also feel sympathy that their limited choices put them where they are. Do I know that most of the Medicaid recipients I see every day deserved every penny they get? Yup.
Quoting lga1965:

Quoting pixie92:this is just bs. I love how people assume they know how and when someone got all their stuff. I have expensive tattoos also, yet havent paid for any of them. I have nice things also from before i got my divorce or from friends. People especially doctors need to pull their heads out of their judgemental asses and quit assuming they know all cause honestly they dont know crap about a stranger.
 You are really defensive. It seems some of us have made you uncomfortable,right? Would you prefer to have  1) health insurance, an annual checkup and mammogram, a small co-pay for medications ...OR...2) more luxury itmes that contribute nothing to your health? THIS is the point we are makimg. Is your health important? Or is it more fun to spend money on things you don't need and just not think about your future?

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM
But you gotta love when people show their true colors!

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting dawnnamarie:

I take care of 4 people. And those are the ones who matter to me. I should not be financially responsible for anyone outside of my family. 

Society disagrees.   So live with it, or choose a different society to live in.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

I fully believe in survival of the fittest.

"survival of the fittest" was intended to be descriptive, not prescriptive.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM
4 moms liked this

I couldn't agree more. The level of irresponsibility and entitlement is absolutely amazing. And then if you dare to suggest that people show some personal responsibility so the rest of us aren't stuck paying for the care that they'll inevitably need, you're accused of trying to set up a "nanny state" and trying to "take away their freedom".

I'd advocate for a system that makes affordable health insurance available to all, regardless of employment status or financial position, and then says, "Okay, you don't want to buy health insurance? Fine, you don't have to. But if you get cancer/get hit by a bus/fall out of a tree, you only get the amount of health care that you can pay for out of your own pocket." We don't have to force everyone to get insurance, since apparently collective responsibility is such a repugnant idea to so many. But neither should the rest of us be held responsible for the consequences of someone else's irresponsibility.

Quoting lga1965:

Isn't that the truth!  I have been shocked at the Moms here at CM ( In other groups) who talk about their tattoos, piercings, having their nails done, their eyebrows threaded, their bikini waxes or Brazilian ( stupid idea and expensive), their nights out at the bars,etc. ....all of those things add up to LOTS of money. BUT then they reveal that they have no money, they wait for a tax refund ( and they will spend it, not save it) and then they say they don't want to spend any money on HEALTH CARE!  OMG! They will go the the ER! Makes me want to scream,!

If you are curious, I will tell you how we saved over $10,000 in the 1970's for a down payment on a house in only three years. ( Hint: I never have a manicure, no tattoos, no waxes...I sewed my clothes and most of the kiddies clothes except for jeans and outerwear....we didn't go to movies. We had one TV) And if we needed to pay for health care, we would have had the money for the whole family's health plan. For sure.

Ohhhh,boy, I get really fed up with these sponges. They have such bad judgment and throw good money away.

End of rant.

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Oh please.... You keep spitting out rhetoric that you aren't even entirely aware of what you're insinuating... Yes. In the grand scheme of things, nobody "deserves" anything. Did you deserve to be born into a country that takes care of their own? Did you deserve to be born with a fully functioning brain and body? Do you deserve to live while others die? Disabled people do not deserve their lot in life... Therefore I think it is up to rest of us, it is our duty, to take care of human life just as we try to preserve nature and our planet for the good and well being of all.

Quoting btamilee:

I did know that the developmentally disabled receive Medicaid.  Deserve is a very strong word for me.  Fraud happens every single day, and for me.......it all starts with personal responsibility.  Life is hard, and I find that way too many people expect to have it all, without making whatever sacrifices are needed to get to where they need to be.  I find it very sad that so many people in this country have so sense of pride....

Quoting kidlover2:

I work for the ARC. Do you realize that most of the developmentally disabled receive Medicaid? Please tell me why you think they don't deserve it?? That's how I also know about all the fraud that goes on. I know of two coworkers in my one house that was fired for committing fraud... That's a house with 8 employees over the course of 18 months.

Quoting btamilee: I am really curious at to why you feel that most of the Medicaid recipients that you know deserve every penny they get? 
Quoting kidlover2:The point she is making is that this is a type of person that Medicaid haters love to rub in everybody's face of why Medicaid doesn't work. #1 Shockingly... Medicaid fraud is committed hands down more by the doctors and companies that handle the insurances. #2 For a $400 doctor charge, Medicaid will hand them $76. So in a sense you are paying for the working poor and disabled through your health insurance, not so much your taxes. Do I know some deadbeats of society that collect fs and welfare and "abuse" the system. Yes, kinda. I also feel sympathy that their limited choices put them where they are. Do I know that most of the Medicaid recipients I see every day deserved every penny they get? Yup.
Quoting lga1965:

Quoting pixie92:this is just bs. I love how people assume they know how and when someone got all their stuff. I have expensive tattoos also, yet havent paid for any of them. I have nice things also from before i got my divorce or from friends. People especially doctors need to pull their heads out of their judgemental asses and quit assuming they know all cause honestly they dont know crap about a stranger.
 You are really defensive. It seems some of us have made you uncomfortable,right? Would you prefer to have  1) health insurance, an annual checkup and mammogram, a small co-pay for medications ...OR...2) more luxury itmes that contribute nothing to your health? THIS is the point we are makimg. Is your health important? Or is it more fun to spend money on things you don't need and just not think about your future?

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Again, I love when folks true colors come out! Thanks for your acts of loving kindness too, not!

Quoting btamilee:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting lga1965:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Why is saying there are people that use the system so they can have their fun and play toys being so terrible?  There are some.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Again, I love when folks true colors come out! Thanks for your acts of loving kindness too, not!

Quoting btamilee:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting lga1965:

btamilee
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow....who peed in your cheerios?  I gave my opinion, I did NOT state it as fact!  That's whats great about these boards.....we CAN state our opinions.  Just so you know.....I probably know as much if not more than you about the disabled.  I am not saying that the disbabled do not need help, what I am saying is......if you ARE capable of taking responsibility for your own care, then that needs to be done.  I am wel aware that is not always possible, what I have the problem with is that when it IS possible, some make the choice to still allow other to support them.  

Quoting kidlover2:

Oh please.... You keep spitting out rhetoric that you aren't even entirely aware of what you're insinuating... Yes. In the grand scheme of things, nobody "deserves" anything. Did you deserve to be born into a country that takes care of their own? Did you deserve to be born with a fully functioning brain and body? Do you deserve to live while others die? Disabled people do not deserve their lot in life... Therefore I think it is up to rest of us, it is our duty, to take care of human life just as we try to preserve nature and our planet for the good and well being of all.

Quoting btamilee:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting lga1965:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM
The developmentally disabled don't "deserve" Medicaid was my issue.

Quoting talia-mom:

Why is saying there are people that use the system so they can have their fun and play toys being so terrible?  There are some.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting btamilee:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting lga1965:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured