Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

In our culture it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on vices, etc., while refusing to take care of one's self or purchase health insurance.

Posted by   + Show Post

From Facebook:

During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive Shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive
Brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

... While glancing over her Patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medic...aid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.

[Am I] expected to pay for this woman's health care?

I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance.

It is a culture based on the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
STARNER JONES, MD
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
krysstizzle
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM
3 moms liked this

Well, I can agree that this is a culture that values odd things, for sure. I can't say that I'd agree that we should be valuing and spending all of our money on health insurance, though. Makes much more sense to get rid of the crap making us sick, and to value good, real food much more. 

OneToughMami
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not really bothered by medical assistance, there are multiple ways that one can qualify for it. What bothers me is that anyone would spend high dollar on cigarettes. They are so bad for you. It's terrible. I know of people who will cut into their food budgets, eat ramen for weeks, just for smoke money.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting futureshock:

No. Why does the dr have to know?
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:30 PM
5 moms liked this

Bullshit. 

These kinds of people are in the minority in every sense of the word. I am so sick and tired of irresponsible people being held up as the scapegoat. Using them and their idiocy to get out of doing the right thing for MILLIONS of people who are doing their damnedest to not get sick or injured and working as hard as they can at jobs that don't pay enough. Millions of people should not be kept out because of people like this particular patient. I hate this mentality of this doctor and all those like them. They are the ones holding us back. It's insane. There will always be selfish asshole people but ya know what? 

THEY STILL DESERVE FUCKING HEALTH CARE! 

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM

That's the nature of addiction. Nicotine is one of worst ones. 

If I don't get my coffee in the morning, I will turn into a monster and don't think that I won't knock over a dunkin Donuts on day two. 

When it comes to addiction, the cost is a small issue. People will do what they have to do to feed it until they are ready to not feed it anymore and it helps when they are given incentives to stop. There's a great deal being done right now all over the country that is bringing down the number of smokers. Here in Chicago people are no longer allowed to smoke in bars and restaurants. It's not fun to smoke outside in the middle of winter in Chicago. That brought down the number of smokers. It also led to an interesting decrease of heart attacks and strokes. Raising the taxes incrementally on cigarettes also brings down the number of smokers. It can be done. 

Quoting OneToughMami:

I am not really bothered by medical assistance, there are multiple ways that one can qualify for it. What bothers me is that anyone would spend high dollar on cigarettes. They are so bad for you. It's terrible. I know of people who will cut into their food budgets, eat ramen for weeks, just for smoke money. 

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Clean up the food supply, clean up the air and water and land, knock it off with all the chemicals they put into stuff, raise taxes on gas so people would be forced to move their asses more (and I really truly mean that) by walking or investing in a bike, and see our health issues plummet. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

Well, I can agree that this is a culture that values odd things, for sure. I can't say that I'd agree that we should be valuing and spending all of our money on health insurance, though. Makes much more sense to get rid of the crap making us sick, and to value good, real food much more. 

OneToughMami
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I hope people can get help. Like it's terrible. There's many places around here that do not allow smoking.
Quoting mehamil1:

That's the nature of addiction. Nicotine is one of worst ones. 

If I don't get my coffee in the morning, I will turn into a monster and don't think that I won't knock over a dunkin Donuts on day two. 

When it comes to addiction, the cost is a small issue. People will do what they have to do to feed it until they are ready to not feed it anymore and it helps when they are given incentives to stop. There's a great deal being done right now all over the country that is bringing down the number of smokers. Here in Chicago people are no longer allowed to smoke in bars and restaurants. It's not fun to smoke outside in the middle of winter in Chicago. That brought down the number of smokers. It also led to an interesting decrease of heart attacks and strokes. Raising the taxes incrementally on cigarettes also brings down the number of smokers. It can be done. 

Quoting OneToughMami:

Like wrestling? Click my siggy!

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not an Obama supporter by any means... but this has been going on for decades. I wish people would stop blaming him for everything. It's been presidents upon presidents that have caused this "carefree" living.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I tend to agree with this. I've seen too many people who honestly believe that the freebies they get are something they deserve. Most of them develop a blank look if they are asked just who they think pays for those freebies. Most of them are rather militant about anyone daring to say they probably don't even need them, let alone deserve them.

Debmomto2girls ~ there is absolutely a shortage of doctors and nurses, particularly in rural areas, and in most small towns as well.

One thing I will note, is that most doctor's offices absolutely pay attention to what insurance a prospective patient carries. I am as fed up with that as the rest of the health care business at this point, and it's a major reason I am so against any universal/government health insurance. I called a doc with a referral for a cyst on the bridge of my nose ~ told them I have Tricare, and they wanted to give me an appt. five months out. Had DH call the same doc, and flat out lie that we had the policy from his last job, and I could have gotten an appt. within 3 days. And yes, I did get back on the phone at that point and gave them a piece (several actually) of my mind about it.

There are huge issues on both sides of this, and all of them stem directly from insurance itself ~ but don't fool yourself that those without insurance aren't part of it. Same goes for those with any 'government' paid policies. Without actual insurance reform the bottom line is money, and a whole lot of people are still not going to be taken care of. Because so many people use the ER in place of a GP (and then don't pay), a lot of doctors are retiring early, accepting less patients, etc., and it will just keep getting worse.

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM
3 moms liked this

Gold tooth, very expensive brand of tennis shoes, a phone with a popular R&B ringtone, crisis of culture...

hmmm...........wonder what that's about.

I wonder how he would look at a person with bad or missing teeth, scarred skin, raggedy hot-boxes, a cell phone with a country ringtone, who smokes and consumes junk food and alcohol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN