Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In our culture it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on vices, etc., while refusing to take care of one's self or purchase health insurance.

Posted by   + Show Post

From Facebook:

During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive Shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive
Brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

... While glancing over her Patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medic...aid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.

[Am I] expected to pay for this woman's health care?

I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance.

It is a culture based on the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
STARNER JONES, MD
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
tambrathegreat
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

It is WAY harder to get insurance if you're not buying it through an employer.  Open enrollment for most programs comes once a year, whether your situation has changed or not.  Don't give me this shit that health insurance is easy to get or affordable.  It's just not.  If we had gone with a single-payer plan, we wouldn't need this discussion to come up every fifteen minutes on this site.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM
All I remember when Obama first took office, he said in one of his first speeches he WILL make Healthcare affordable for EVERYONE. This seemed to be his first priority. But, he didn't do that. It has actually risen the cost for A LOT of Americans. So, how is that helping us? He didn't keep his promise imo. He took what, $500M or B dollars out of Medicare & put it into Obamacare. I do agree that it was Presidents after Presidents that didn't do anything about this issue. But, I do tend to blame 'current' Presidents for the mess we are in. Obama has been President for 4 yrs., going now on 5. To ME that seems plenty of time to fix the very thing he promised Americans he would do. Right now, we will be having Obamacare. How is that helping EVERYONE? I hope that it does & very soon now. Ours have been going up & up since he first took office. That's why I'm upset with him. We just heard as of April 1st, our Healthcare has yet gone up again. From what I heard, those that still chooses NOT to have Obamacare, will just take the penalty. (which is cheap I heard). So, HOW is that helping? Time will tell I guess, but I'm not holding out hope for this Obamacare. I think it will hurt much more than help.
Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

I'm not an Obama supporter by any means... but this has been going on for decades. I wish people would stop blaming him for everything. It's been presidents upon presidents that have caused this "carefree" living.

stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Oh FFS doctors have been known to not take care of themselves as well.  

A pack of cigarettes a day does not equal to the cost of health insurance. For an entire years worth of pack a day cigarettes a person can afford under 3 months worth of health insurance and that is not including copay and deductible. 

Perhaps people should do math before assuming that because you can afford a vice means you can afford this other. If she paid for no vice she still could not afford health insurance or to go to the doctor.

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this
wait i have my weekends out at the bar and i have my monday night adult bingo and my tattoos. I say im broke right now and still do all these things and wont buy health insurance. But i dont pay for crap, not my tattoos, not my nights at the bar and not my bingo night so who cares? Not all things cost an arm and a leg and many people go to places that are cheap or go when someone else pays (boyfriend, parents ect.). Unless you know how its paid for or if there is any money spent ya really cant or shouldnt judge.

Quoting lga1965:

Isn't that the truth!  I have been shocked at the Moms here at CM ( In other groups) who talk about their tattoos, piercings, having their nails done, their eyebrows threaded, their bikini waxes or Brazilian ( stupid idea and expensive), their nights out at the bars,etc. ....all of those things add up to LOTS of money. BUT then they reveal that they have no money, they wait for a tax refund ( and they will spend it, not save it) and then they say they don't want to spend any money on HEALTH CARE!  OMG! They will go the the ER! Makes me want to scream,!

If you are curious, I will tell you how we saved over $10,000 in the 1970's for a down payment on a house in only three years. ( Hint: I never have a manicure, no tattoos, no waxes...I sewed my clothes and most of the kiddies clothes except for jeans and outerwear....we didn't go to movies. We had one TV) And if we needed to pay for health care, we would have had the money for the whole family's health plan. For sure.

Ohhhh,boy, I get really fed up with these sponges. They have such bad judgment and throw good money away.

End of rant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixie92
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:21 AM
2 moms liked this
so people that live far from where they work now need to pay even more for gas? Thats really bs. Where i live most people have to drive an hour to get to work cause that where our closest "city" is. We already pay enough in gas, daycare, car maintanence and so on and you wish to raise that? Thats just rude.

Quoting mehamil1:

Clean up the food supply, clean up the air and water and land, knock it off with all the chemicals they put into stuff, raise taxes on gas so people would be forced to move their asses more (and I really truly mean that) by walking or investing in a bike, and see our health issues plummet. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

Well, I can agree that this is a culture that values odd things, for sure. I can't say that I'd agree that we should be valuing and spending all of our money on health insurance, though. Makes much more sense to get rid of the crap making us sick, and to value good, real food much more. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixie92
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
this is just bs. I love how people assume they know how and when someone got all their stuff. I have expensive tattoos also, yet havent paid for any of them. I have nice things also from before i got my divorce or from friends. People especially doctors need to pull their heads out of their judgemental asses and quit assuming they know all cause honestly they dont know crap about a stranger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM

yes that way he does not ignore the patients needs. it is a law suit waiting to happen.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting Healthystart30:

A patients health insurance should never be listed for anyone to see to begin with! Yes there are stupid people, but I want to believe that they are the minority! Most people work but because the system is for-profit, a lot of regular families can't afford good health insurance!

I think we should have universal/socialized healthcare. Basically I don't think people should be denied care because they are stupid. 8% of the amount paid to each employee goes into the system, and small fees for doctors visits and medications. No for-profit insurance companies and if you have a frivolous lawsuit against your doctor you will have to pay all lawyer fees, yours and his!
That might take down the cost. at the same time we wouldn't need all these administrators that eat up so much money within the hospitals trying to file paperwork and make calls to get the money in.

Even the doctor?

A patients health insurance should never be listed for anyone to see to begin with!

dawnnamarie
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:40 AM
That's crazy to think of doing to anyone who doesn't live in a city.
I live in a mid sized town in the Midwest. We do not have public transportation widely available.
I work a half hour away in another county. All interstate between home and work.
Why should I have to pay more taxes on gas so the fat lazy people can get off their asses!?

Quoting mehamil1:

Clean up the food supply, clean up the air and water and land, knock it off with all the chemicals they put into stuff, raise taxes on gas so people would be forced to move their asses more (and I really truly mean that) by walking or investing in a bike, and see our health issues plummet. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

Well, I can agree that this is a culture that values odd things, for sure. I can't say that I'd agree that we should be valuing and spending all of our money on health insurance, though. Makes much more sense to get rid of the crap making us sick, and to value good, real food much more. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dawnnamarie
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:46 AM
3 moms liked this
I had 1300 taken out of my last biweekly paycheck for taxes. And it makes me irate to know that money goes to some of the programs in this country.

I busted my butt and SACRIFICED to get by while I was a single mother going to school. So I know it can be done. Therefore, I don't want to pay for others to be irresponsible, lazy, unhealthy, uneducated, etc... Not my problem.

I've also maintained the same weight for 10+ years, through exercise and hard work. I take the time to provide a healthy existence for my family. And I pay for MY OWN healthcare.

Grrrr.... This topic always gets me riled up. Sorry, vent over.
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this
This topic and people like you always get me riled up.

Let me tell you a true story. A woman I knew very well left an abusive man with her DD. She ultimately had to work 3 jobs, none of which provided health insurance. She literally worked herself into an early grave, dying at 47yo, when her DD was only 23yo. She was working poor and no one was working hard to help her except her, so she died because of people like you, who don't want to take care of anyone but themselves.

That dead woman was my mother who died over 19 years ago. Thanks for your acts of loving kindness, not.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

I had 1300 taken out of my last biweekly paycheck for taxes. And it makes me irate to know that money goes to some of the programs in this country.

I busted my butt and SACRIFICED to get by while I was a single mother going to school. So I know it can be done. Therefore, I don't want to pay for others to be irresponsible, lazy, unhealthy, uneducated, etc... Not my problem.

I've also maintained the same weight for 10+ years, through exercise and hard work. I take the time to provide a healthy existence for my family. And I pay for MY OWN healthcare.

Grrrr.... This topic always gets me riled up. Sorry, vent over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured