Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

In our culture it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on vices, etc., while refusing to take care of one's self or purchase health insurance.

Posted by   + Show Post

From Facebook:

During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive Shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive
Brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

... While glancing over her Patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medic...aid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.

[Am I] expected to pay for this woman's health care?

I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance.

It is a culture based on the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
STARNER JONES, MD
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Replies (41-50):
kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM
The point she is making is that this is a type of person that Medicaid haters love to rub in everybody's face of why Medicaid doesn't work. #1 Shockingly... Medicaid fraud is committed hands down more by the doctors and companies that handle the insurances. #2 For a $400 doctor charge, Medicaid will hand them $76. So in a sense you are paying for the working poor and disabled through your health insurance, not so much your taxes. Do I know some deadbeats of society that collect fs and welfare and "abuse" the system. Yes, kinda. I also feel sympathy that their limited choices put them where they are. Do I know that most of the Medicaid recipients I see every day deserved every penny they get? Yup.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting pixie92:

this is just bs. I love how people assume they know how and when someone got all their stuff. I have expensive tattoos also, yet havent paid for any of them. I have nice things also from before i got my divorce or from friends. People especially doctors need to pull their heads out of their judgemental asses and quit assuming they know all cause honestly they dont know crap about a stranger.

You are really defensive. It seems some of us have made you uncomfortable,right? Would you prefer to have  1) health insurance, an annual checkup and mammogram, a small co-pay for medications ...OR...2) more luxury itmes that contribute nothing to your health? THIS is the point we are makimg. Is your health important? Or is it more fun to spend money on things you don't need and just not think about your future?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM

If the patient spent hundreds every month on health insurance, and for whatever reason wound up in the ER, he would still be paying thousands extra over the next months as the numerous copay bills for everything from having the TV on over the hospital bed to getting bloodwork flooded in.  I can understand why the patient would choose not to go this route, although I would NOT agree with that choice.  Patients who don't have health insurance are a big problem.  So are the ludicrously inflated costs of healthcare.  

You can have Fortune 500 employer-provided health insurance, have a relatively short health crisis, and still wind up losing your house because of the costs your plan doesn't cover.  

I have a further problem with the article because of the racist undertones and the use of one extreme example to stand in for all who don't have health insurance.   I believe people should buy health insurance, but in return, the health industry needs to work on getting premiums to be affordable and to making the costs of actual care reasonable.   

Mystres
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:37 AM

They have to know the persons Health insurance status to know how far they can take medical care. 

I remember a few months back I had to take my kid in to the ER  I was there for 7 hours.  And I can tell you they ran every test under the sun they could on my kid.  But when the people around me came in, and as i noticed them ask what is your insurance, the ones with GOVT insurance were  in  and out with in 30-45 minutes.

Quoting Healthystart30:

A patients health insurance should never be listed for anyone to see to begin with! Yes there are stupid people, but I want to believe that they are the minority! Most people work but because the system is for-profit, a lot of regular families can't afford good health insurance!

I think we should have universal/socialized healthcare. Basically I don't think people should be denied care because they are stupid. 8% of the amount paid to each employee goes into the system, and small fees for doctors visits and medications. No for-profit insurance companies and if you have a frivolous lawsuit against your doctor you will have to pay all lawyer fees, yours and his!
That might take down the cost. at the same time we wouldn't need all these administrators that eat up so much money within the hospitals trying to file paperwork and make calls to get the money in.

btamilee
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I am really curious at to why you feel that most of the Medicaid recipients that you know deserve every penny they get? 

Quoting kidlover2:

The point she is making is that this is a type of person that Medicaid haters love to rub in everybody's face of why Medicaid doesn't work. #1 Shockingly... Medicaid fraud is committed hands down more by the doctors and companies that handle the insurances. #2 For a $400 doctor charge, Medicaid will hand them $76. So in a sense you are paying for the working poor and disabled through your health insurance, not so much your taxes. Do I know some deadbeats of society that collect fs and welfare and "abuse" the system. Yes, kinda. I also feel sympathy that their limited choices put them where they are. Do I know that most of the Medicaid recipients I see every day deserved every penny they get? Yup.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting pixie92:

this is just bs. I love how people assume they know how and when someone got all their stuff. I have expensive tattoos also, yet havent paid for any of them. I have nice things also from before i got my divorce or from friends. People especially doctors need to pull their heads out of their judgemental asses and quit assuming they know all cause honestly they dont know crap about a stranger.

You are really defensive. It seems some of us have made you uncomfortable,right? Would you prefer to have  1) health insurance, an annual checkup and mammogram, a small co-pay for medications ...OR...2) more luxury itmes that contribute nothing to your health? THIS is the point we are makimg. Is your health important? Or is it more fun to spend money on things you don't need and just not think about your future?

mamavalor
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I experienced this same kind of mentality when I worked for the Boston Public School system.  They spend all their money on things that don't matter and nothing on things that do matter, like their education.  They get free this, that, and the other thing so when they do get money they spend it on things they can't get like NIKE sneakers, Polo jackets, and LV bags.  They would destroy other people's property, steal for the fun of it, and use the white man and the Asians as excuses for their situation.  Pathetic and sad.  This is a reason I don't give to charities.  I will only help those I encounter who need it.

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I work for the ARC. Do you realize that most of the developmentally disabled receive Medicaid? Please tell me why you think they don't deserve it?? That's how I also know about all the fraud that goes on. I know of two coworkers in my one house that was fired for committing fraud... That's a house with 8 employees over the course of 18 months.

Quoting btamilee: I am really curious at to why you feel that most of the Medicaid recipients that you know deserve every penny they get? 
Quoting kidlover2:The point she is making is that this is a type of person that Medicaid haters love to rub in everybody's face of why Medicaid doesn't work. #1 Shockingly... Medicaid fraud is committed hands down more by the doctors and companies that handle the insurances. #2 For a $400 doctor charge, Medicaid will hand them $76. So in a sense you are paying for the working poor and disabled through your health insurance, not so much your taxes. Do I know some deadbeats of society that collect fs and welfare and "abuse" the system. Yes, kinda. I also feel sympathy that their limited choices put them where they are. Do I know that most of the Medicaid recipients I see every day deserved every penny they get? Yup.
Quoting lga1965:

Quoting pixie92:this is just bs. I love how people assume they know how and when someone got all their stuff. I have expensive tattoos also, yet havent paid for any of them. I have nice things also from before i got my divorce or from friends. People especially doctors need to pull their heads out of their judgemental asses and quit assuming they know all cause honestly they dont know crap about a stranger.

lga1965
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I was discussing Health Care Insurance but I am not familiar with Medicaid.
I am at a loss as to why people make such poor choices and expect tax payers to pay for what they are too stupid to do for themselves.
I know some try and work hard and deserve help. But too many don't try at all. And this has been going on for at least 40 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DestinyRoseLC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I don't understand the whole judge a book by its cover. My dh is a perfect example. Hes a hard worker has worked since he was 14. He has expensive things, a high end phone, tatts, etc.... Then one day he lost his job. As time went on he had to file for a gov/medicaid insurance. When he starts working again he will pay his own way like he did before. Are there people out there that abuse the system? Yes. But assuming is just dumb.
DestinyRoseLC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup my son was granted medicaid when he began receiving ssi even though I was working and it was to help cover the extra costs for therapy and so forth, same with fs cause of the diet change that was needed. Wasn't a hand out cause you couldn't live off of it but was definitely a lending hand.

Quoting kidlover2:

I work for the ARC. Do you realize that most of the developmentally disabled receive Medicaid? Please tell me why you think they don't deserve it?? That's how I also know about all the fraud that goes on. I know of two coworkers in my one house that was fired for committing fraud... That's a house with 8 employees over the course of 18 months.

Quoting btamilee: I am really curious at to why you feel that most of the Medicaid recipients that you know deserve every penny they get? 

Quoting kidlover2:The point she is making is that this is a type of person that Medicaid haters love to rub in everybody's face of why Medicaid doesn't work. #1 Shockingly... Medicaid fraud is committed hands down more by the doctors and companies that handle the insurances. #2 For a $400 doctor charge, Medicaid will hand them $76. So in a sense you are paying for the working poor and disabled through your health insurance, not so much your taxes. Do I know some deadbeats of society that collect fs and welfare and "abuse" the system. Yes, kinda. I also feel sympathy that their limited choices put them where they are. Do I know that most of the Medicaid recipients I see every day deserved every penny they get? Yup.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting pixie92:this is just bs. I love how people assume they know how and when someone got all their stuff. I have expensive tattoos also, yet havent paid for any of them. I have nice things also from before i got my divorce or from friends. People especially doctors need to pull their heads out of their judgemental asses and quit assuming they know all cause honestly they dont know crap about a stranger.

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I think this doctor is an ass for assuming this persons situation without really knowing anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN