Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I'd love to hear your view on religion

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM
  • 116 Replies
3 moms liked this
What has influenced you in life to see religion as you do? Why do you think you chose that certain religion?

I know some of you and what your religious beliefs are (or lack of religious beliefs) but I would like to know what experiences you have had that shaped your religious views?

In my life- well I kinda had a spiritual experience when I was little. That's all I'll say about that. At 8 years old I started Catholic school but I also found a gold cross on the floor. It was so beautiful and I still wear it to this day- I've never seen another like it also, still to this day.
Being in Catholic school I grew up and realized that I don't believe in the bible. All cultures/religions have myths and the reality is, that is what the bible is.
I don't believe in going to church. I don't think I should have to prove to a bunch of people what my faith is. Besides, have you seen the parking lot after church gets out?
What matters is my relationship with God and my faith- only.
And my faith is strong and my non-practicing Catholic self uses prayer as a guide and my religion to be a better person.

That's me. Who are you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:52 AM
11 moms liked this

Quoting viv212:

What has influenced you in life to see religion as you do?

VIOLENCE

9/11

HATRED

Massacres in the name of religion, in Palestine

HYPOCRISY

The wealth the Vatican sat on while covering up the molestation of children by priests:

INDOCTRINATION

Suicide cults:

SUPERSTITION

Children in Africa being tortured as witches, with the full blessing of the local church:

PREJUDICE

Church sermon fueled gay bashing

WILFUL IGNORANCE

Young Earth Creationism

Clairwil
4 moms liked this

And that's all recent stuff.   That isn't even starting to touch upon the historic contribution of religion to things like:

{long long list deleted - you can fill in the blanks yourself, if you like}

But, just to be fair and balanced, I'll also list some of the positive things about religion...

Clairwil
6 moms liked this

PRESERVATION OF TRADITIONAL VALUES

Thin cut cucumber sandwiches are always served at the Vicarage tea party

CULTURAL HERITAGE

Music and Paintings inspired by religion

COMPASSION

Franciscan friars, who worked with AIDS patients, when few others would

A VOICE FOR CHANGE

The Quakers who worked against slavery

NON-ARROGANT WISDOM

The Dalai Lama

Alas, too often the above are the exceptions, rather than the rule.

Clairwil
5 moms liked this
Quoting viv212:

I would like to know what experiences you have had that shaped your religious views?

Ok, three final images, that make me doubt any of the stories told about benevolent supernatural beings holding the planet Earth to be of special significance...

1. The Problem of Evil

2. The size of the universe.

This is a picture of two spiral galaxies colliding, from the Corvus constellation.   The collision has taken 100,000,000 years.   Millions of new stars have been created in the process, some of which have already gone nova.  There are more than 100,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe, and each of which contains (on average) more than one hundred Billion stars.

Humans, as a species, are just not terribly special.  Not on a galaxy wide scale, let alone a universe wide scale.  We wouldn't even be the sole sentient species left on Earth, if we hadn't finally killed off Neanderthal just 30,000 years ago.

3. Archeology - we KNOW that religions evolve

We can trace, through artifacts, the story of how religions have evolved over time, gods and memes changing and moving from one religion to another as they compete for followers.

stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Research, study and what aligned as correct for me. I don't have a religion I have a spiritual path. I would probably be place under the category of being pagan by some and by others somewhere on the atheist spectrum. *shrug* It matters not where people categorize me what matters to me is it works for me.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:40 AM
2 moms liked this
I grew up Lutheran. My mom is Lutheran, my dad is an athiest but he never talked about it when we were little. I was baptized and had a confirmation. I believed that Jesus and God represented the good, love and caring for others. Then I grew up and now there is nothing in this world that shows me that there is a powerful God! I do still believe what Jesus preached though and I live by it.
I hate how people have been prosecuted and told that they are wrong, stupid, evil, going to hell because they believe in their ancestors and spirits instead of one God. I don't like missionaries exploiting people and using their resources to turn people away from their religion.
I think every person should have the right to believe as they wish and it's not anyone's duty to change that!
I believe that the earth is an organism with life in every corner and we are slowly suffocating it. I think time would be better spent fixing what we have ruined instead of bitching and moaning about how others are somehow worse because they have such and such religion or no religion. We should all be able to agree on trying to turn the earth over to our kids or grand kids in a habitable conditions.
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Claiwil's pics are powerful and thought provoking, indeed.

I don't "do" religion, to me, religion is bondage.  I love Jesus, I follow His teachings, I try to live like Him, but I just can't get all tied up in the "rules" that a lot of religion puts on you. 

I CHOOSE to please my God, I don't do things a certain way because I'm told to, or believe things people tell you just cuz it's the way they think it out to be.  I prefer to say I have a relationship with Christ, a close friendship and walk with Him. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:34 AM
I honestly have no idea and am trying to figure it out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:41 AM
1 mom liked this

They are all a bit goofy, some are dangerous.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm likely in Clairwil's camp of seeing so much damage religion has wrought.  I also do see some beauty there.  

For me, though, it ends up as....is it true?  Is there a God?  Can it be real?

And I have no objective evidence that there is one, I see gigantic holes and nonsense in holy texts, I don't understand "the rules" or why a good and loving God would want so many of them, or why so much bad would continue to exist in the context of that good and loving God.

When things don't make any logical sense I tend to reject them as untrue.

So for me, there is no God or religion.  There is just the here and now, and our obligation as a community to do the best we can for ourselves and each other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)