Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think....this could be controversial

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM
  • 49 Replies
2 moms liked this

Do people convert to extreme branches of any main religion because it allows justification for their own sadistic nature?

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM
3 moms liked this
It's possible. Many soldiers journaled about joining the Crusades just to kill Muslims... So would someone who wanted to murder a bunch of people join a group where a sect made that behavior "okay"? Yes, I can see that happening...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:12 AM
1 mom liked this
It's possible.

When that FLDS ranch in Texas was raided, I was in a waiting room and overheard a conversation between two men where one said "I think I'm going to convert to FLDS so I can bang new pussy every couple years and my wife can't say shit" the other guy said "you know mormons can't drink, right?" First guy said "oh fuck that shit". Not the same as violence, but the post reminded me of that convo.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes or they are just plain ignorant of the religion they are supposedly following.
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:49 AM
3 moms liked this

I think those people tend to be the leaders of the crazies. Then there are those who blindly follow a charismatic leader. I still don't know why. 

Hitler was one man. He convinced millions to participate in insanity. How did one man manage to do that? How did he convince millions of people to follow along? That to me is the scariest part. 

stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:53 AM
2 moms liked this

It is said by some he learn hypnotic speech patterns. I am not sure if that can be proven but it is a possibility. Many who heard him speak at rallies said his voice had a hypnotic quality to it. 

Quoting mehamil1:

I think those people tend to be the leaders of the crazies. Then there are those who blindly follow a charismatic leader. I still don't know why. 

Hitler was one man. He convinced millions to participate in insanity. How did one man manage to do that? How did he convince millions of people to follow along? That to me is the scariest part. 

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I have wondered many times if that is the case.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Have you read "Under the Banner of Heaven"? Gives a good insight into the FLDS.

Quoting jllcali:

It's possible.

When that FLDS ranch in Texas was raided, I was in a waiting room and overheard a conversation between two men where one said "I think I'm going to convert to FLDS so I can bang new pussy every couple years and my wife can't say shit" the other guy said "you know mormons can't drink, right?" First guy said "oh fuck that shit". Not the same as violence, but the post reminded me of that convo.

Neon Washable Paint

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:05 AM
2 moms liked this

I think people are attracted to religion because it gives a finite set of rules. 

I think the more fundamentalist, radical, or extreme the religion, the more definitive and distinct the rules are, they become harder, more rigid, and with less wiggle room.

I think the kind of person who gravitates towards that is not necessarily sadistic but has mental illness, sometimes the mental illness directing them to make sense of what I personally find nonsensical, sometimes the mental illness making them look for that rigidity to keep them "in line".

JMO

PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM
3 moms liked this
Yes. Religion warps the psyche. Each generation is warped a little more.
DestinyRoseLC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:08 AM
In some cases it's possible
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)