Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The truth about divorce reform! Take action against proposed anti-family legislation.

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:51 AM
  • 100 Replies

Very important message to women who choose to stay at home to raise their children in the state of Florida:  

Please visit this website and read about the recently signed legislation to end permanent alimony and revise custody laws in the state of Florida, and then sign the petition to ask the Governor to veto this bill. 

Please take action to help protect women and children from this self-serving, biased and anti-family legislation

The proposed legislation, if  passed, would be a serious deterrent to mothers who sacrifice their careers and limit their future earnings potentials to commit themselves to raising their children full-time.

Please visit the website at:   http://www.truthaboutflalimony.com/   

Tell Governor Rick Scott to veto the proposed divorce legislation which would have devastating and far-reaching consequences for families, and especially for stay at home moms and children..

You can also post a comment to explain your objections to this unfair and anti-family legislation, and read the many comments posted by petitioners.    

Thank you

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM
10 moms liked this

I'm not understanding the devastating and far reaching consequences here? What are they reffering to? Alimony is not a right. If you get divorced and have previously been a SAHM, I'm sorry but eventually you are going to have to go back to work to support yourself. 

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

errr...not seeing the problem.

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM
NY already has this. If you get a divorced, lots of luck collecting alimony unless there is significant reason to. Child support in my opinion is a must. Although I get $86 a week for 3 children. It's not really worth the trouble.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM
What exactly does New York have?

Quoting kidlover2:

NY already has this. If you get a divorced, lots of luck collecting alimony unless there is significant reason to. Child support in my opinion is a must. Although I get $86 a week for 3 children. It's not really worth the trouble.
kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM
4 moms liked this
They don't grant the woman alimony unless there is good reason to. There is a significant amount of lawyers fees and court hearings to even get it looked at. Women have been fighting for equal rights for years... This is what equal rights look like. We can go get a job. There is no more dependence on our husbands to pay for us. I had a higher income than my ex husband when we divorced.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting kidlover2:

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM
7 moms liked this

spouses shouldn't be entitled to permanent alimony when they divorce  If a marriage ends, a period of time where s/he is getting on his/her feet is reasonable beyond that s/he needs to support herself.  

Era5182
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Why should alimony be permanent anyway??? What makes this bill anti family.?
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh okay,I didn't know exactly what you meant. I read that link, Florida is really screwed up where these issues are concerned.

I don't believe in lifetime alimony anyway. A woman should have her own money. The expectation that an e. spouse should have to support you for the rest of your days is ridiculous. Just to note,that in New York, if alimony is granted, it son a yearly sliding scale until its finally done and over with.

Quoting kidlover2:

They don't grant the woman alimony unless there is good reason to. There is a significant amount of lawyers fees and court hearings to even get it looked at. Women have been fighting for equal rights for years... This is what equal rights look like. We can go get a job. There is no more dependence on our husbands to pay for us. I had a higher income than my ex husband when we divorced.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting kidlover2:

parentalrights1
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Alimony should be given to a previously stay at home parent for a certain amount of time but not forever
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Haven't read the website yet, but what's so wrong with ending permanent alimony? It shouldn't be permanent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN