Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Islam is More Dangerous than Other Religions, Radicals aren't Just Fringe Element

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 261 Replies
1 mom liked this

Bill Maher: Islam is More Dangerous than Other Religions, Radicals aren't Just Fringe Element

article image
By Alex Groberman, Sun, April 21, 2013

While conducting an interview on ‘Real Time' this past Friday night, host Bill Maher took a position that will probably be sort of unpopular with his fans on the left. When confronted with the fact that Islam isn't the only religion that contains hypocritical extremists doing crazy things for the sake of their God, the world's most proud Atheist countered with a surprisingly defiant point.

"You know what - that's liberal [expletive] right there ... they're not as dangerous," he said. "I mean there's only one faith, for example, that kills you or wants to kill you if you draw a bad cartoon of the Prophet. There's only one faith that kills you or wants to kill you if you renounce the faith. An ex-Muslim is a very dangerous thing. Talk to Salman Rushdie after the show about Christian versus Islam. So you know, I'm just saying, let's keep it real."

When his guest tried to interject, Maher kept on going.

"All religious are not alike. As many people have pointed out - ‘The Book of Mormon,' did you see the show? ... OK, can you imagine if they did ‘The Book of Islam'? Could they do that? There's only one religion that threatens violence and carries it out for things like that. Could they do "The Book of Islam" on Broadway?"

After Maher's guest tried to suggest that his point was mildly Islamophobic, the host took major offense.

"You're wrong about that, and you're wrong about your facts," he said. "Now, obviously, most Muslim people are not terrorists. But ask most Muslim people in the world - if you insult the Prophet, do you have what's coming to you? It's more than just a fringe element."

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM
4 moms liked this

I agree 100% with him.! Good for him for saying it :)

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM
4 moms liked this

I'll admit that I don't know enough about Islam to really say for sure.  I feel like there are crazy extremists from every religion that would commit awful acts.  Is Islam worse than the others?  I can't really say.  I think they all suck equally.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I'm surprised to hear this from him..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM
11 moms liked this

I agree with him as well. You don't see Christians flipping out and killing others because someone drew a picture making fun of Jesus.  You don't see Mormon's calling for the death of the South Park creators for making fun of their faith and yet when Islam is treated the same as any other religion, they are very quick to anger and that quickly escalates into violence. I don't understand why they get so damn offended when their religion is made fun of or if someone questions what they believe.

parentalrights1
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM
5 moms liked this
I think the only thing keeping radical christians from coming out and stoning people is the laws and religious freedom in this country tht makes it harder for them to do so.

No I'm not saying christians are all secretly wanting to stone everyone. I'm saying there would be radicals who see stoning condoned in the bible and would start acting similarly to islam radicals. Christians already think they're the one true religious group of the universe
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM
And isn't bill maher agnostic?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM
3 moms liked this

What? Bill Maher is spewing ignorance and hate on his TV show? I am SHOCKED!

You don't think your perception of what the "majority" of Muslims are like might be slightly skewed by the media? By the fact that the ONLY Muslims we see in the news are terrorists or that the bad guy in every movie these days is a Muslim? You just can't base your judgement of an entire religion based on what you see on TV, Obviously only the most extreme people make it to the news. The vast majority of Muslims will never be on TV. Because they aren't newsworthy. Because they are normal people with normal lives.

I mean, seriously, I have to ask (Of Maher and anyone who agrees with him.) have you ever actually MET a Muslim in person? Have you ever worked with one or been in a class with one? Ever had a conversation with one? Because all the Muslims that I have met personally were absolutely beautiful, gentle, spiritual souls.

Anyway, this is just more of the same ridiculous crap spewing from Bill Maher's mouth. I don't know why anyone listens to him still.

SuperChicken
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I see his point.  It isn't just the fringe that get upset when there is a cartoon or other perceived "insult" to Islam.  The fringe gets violent, but a lot of others justify the violence.

I disagree that this is more dangerous though.   At least in our society.  I am far more concerned with our own religious right changing our laws to fit their own "moral" convictions, with slowly and steadily trying to force Christian religious dogma into schools as truth, and the like.  And it isn't just the "extremists" doing that here.  It's a  whole lot of people - just find yourself a thread on having to remove a Christian symbol from a public school right here in this group.   I find this insidious creeping more dangerous for OUR society that sporadic and rare bursts of violence.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM
9 moms liked this

Maher is an athiest, and very anti-religion.  Anybody agreeing with him and stating, "Yeah if Christians did that..." needs to go look up what he has to say about Christianity before you start getting too cocky.

Also, ask yourself - do you actually know any Muslims?

I do.  I know all kinds of Muslims, including people who were born and raised in the ME.  And they are just as horrified by the extremists as the rest of us.

Billiejeens
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Dumb, just dumb

Quoting SuperChicken:

I see his point.  It isn't just the fringe that get upset when there is a cartoon or other perceived "insult" to Islam.  The fringe gets violent, but a lot of others justify the violence.

I disagree that this is more dangerous though.   At least in our society.  I am far more concerned with our own religious right changing our laws to fit their own "moral" convictions, with slowly and steadily trying to force Christian religious dogma into schools as truth, and the like.  And it isn't just the "extremists" doing that here.  It's a  whole lot of people - just find yourself a thread on having to remove a Christian symbol from a public school right here in this group.   I find this insidious creeping more dangerous for OUR society that sporadic and rare bursts of violence.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured