Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Detroit father kills dog with axe and runs him over after it attacks his 5 year old son

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM
  • 67 Replies

Father Says He Killed Rottweiler with Ax After the Dog Attacked His 5-Year-Old Son

article image
By Denise A Justin, Fri, April 19, 2013

DePaul Simmons, a Detroit father of a 5-year-old boy who was reportedly attacked by a neighbor's Rottweilber, could face charges after admitting he later killed the dog with an ax and then hit it with his car. Simmons claims that the dog attacked his autistic son in southwest Detroit on Monday, according to Fox 2 News.

The young boy, Ricardo, is recovering. "He has a lot of stitches after being bitten by a really big dog," his mother, Lucinda Gavin, said.

"As my son was leaving out of the yard to get in his grandmother's truck, the dog grabbed my son's leg and was shaking his leg to where he fell and hit the ground. The dog [dragged] my son to the other dogs and had my son's face in his mouth and was shaking his face," she said.

"All I'm hearing is my son [saying] 'Mommy, help me." She said there was "Blood just rushing everywhere..." DePaul Simmons told reporters he rushed to the scene as soon as he heard what happened.

"My wife was in the middle of the street hysterical. He [Ricardo] was sitting in the back of the truck. He just started screaming, "Daddy," and I made them take him to the hospital, and from there I took over. [The] police never came," Simmons told Fox 2 News.

"I beat him with an ax," Simmons said, and then he said he also hit the dog with his car, killing it in its own yard. He was in clear sight of a group of witnesses, but Simmons said he didn't care--he did it in an attempt to get justice for his son because police did not come to the scene, remove the dog or arrest the owners.

"People [are] getting attacked by dogs every day, and to just let the dog still live and roam around to do it to another person, the next person might die," Simmons said.

Someone must have called the Michigan Humane Society, which left a card on his door, Simmons told Fox 2 News, "They [were] looking for me because they [were] going to arrest me for killing a dog and nobody showed up to save my son."

The TV news channel reports that there is some conflict in stories because witness statements indicate police and medical personnel arrived about 24 minutes after the 911 call.

"For them to be looking for me and not looking for the owner of this dog, and they know who it is, it's unjust. If they want to take me to jail, take me to jail, but justice will be served on behalf of my son. I promise you that," Simmons said. According to Fox2, no warrant has yet been signed.

The attack on Ricardo occurred just one day before two loose Pit Bulls mauled 64-year-old Jessie Clarke on the porch of her home on Charles in Detroit on Tuesday afternoon, leaving her hospitalized in critical condition.

Read More: 2 Pit Bulls Savagely Attack Detroit Woman Before Being Shot by Off-Duty Police Officer

VIDEO: See full Fox 2 story.

Source: WRBW, MLive

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aslen
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Talk about overkill....
No pun intended
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM
12 moms liked this
I find it disturbing that police didn't show up for an injured child but the Humane society came for a dead dog....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM
I'm so bad... That made me chuckle...

Quoting Aslen:

Talk about overkill....

No pun intended
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I did too!
But there's no other way to describe it....

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'm so bad... That made me chuckle...

Quoting Aslen:

Talk about overkill....

No pun intended

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

24 minutes after a 911 call?  Um, that's a LONG time IMO ...

Nicoleb9
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I can't guarantee that I wouldn't have done something similar. I can't imagine watching your child being mauled by an animal. Now the father's the bad guy? Lemme guess. Because two wrongs don't make a right. *eye roll*. Some things go beyond that tired line.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly! "My kids being mauled to death!" ... "Oh okay we'll be there in half an hour."

Quoting pansyprincess:

24 minutes after a 911 call?  Um, that's a LONG time IMO ...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:19 AM
While I understand being upset about his son, what he did was wrong. Killing a dog with an ax? That is disturbing.

The police are a disgrace for not responding
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:19 AM
No but with an ax? That is sick

Quoting Nicoleb9:

I can't guarantee that I wouldn't have done something similar. I can't imagine watching your child being mauled by an animal. Now the father's the bad guy? Lemme guess. Because two wrongs don't make a right. *eye roll*. Some things go beyond that tired line.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

It begs the question as to whether there is more to this story than we're hearing. Was this dog a repeat menace? Did it bother the family before? Was it left to run loose in the neighborhood? I can see that kind of rage if the dog was a repeat offender in the area. I'm not saying it was right, but I can see why it might have happened. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

While I understand being upset about his son, what he did was wrong. Killing a dog with an ax? That is disturbing.

The police are a disgrace for not responding

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN