Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teachers are to teach not to raise your children

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 221 Replies
40 moms liked this

It seems to me that parents are expecting teachers to actually raise their child/children. They complain when problems in their house happens with their children that have nothing to do with school but they still think that the teachers should get involved.  Here is an idea, don't let your preteens text or get on facebook that is where a lot of the drama starts.  We cannot discipline a child for something that happens at night at the house, I have my own house to deal with at the end of the day I sure do not need a bunch of drama queens to deal with.  Sorry rough day at school.

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM
8 moms liked this

Sounds as if this stems from a personal experience.  Care to share that rather than make generalized, blanket statements?

I'm sorry you had a rough day.  I can only imagine how difficult it can be.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM
11 moms liked this

I'm guessing someone is a middle school teacher lol.....

marinequeen
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM
3 moms liked this

We have a female student who has been known to be dishonest, needless to say she comes from a my child can do no wrong type of parent.  She complained that two boys had been sexting her at 10 at night, should be in bed, and that she had nothing to do with it.  We talked to the boys only to find out they had different stories when confronted she denied it all.  Well things got heated and the father of one of the boy brought in his boys phone with the texts on them, she had been taunting them and also was saying that because she was a girl that we would believe her.  Well, we took care of that one, which had nothing to do with school only to turn around again and have more problems, this time about a sleepover, this is not a school issue yet the parents say we should discipline these other girls with detentions, ugh!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Quoting marinequeen:

We have a female student who has been known to be dishonest, needless to say she comes from a my child can do no wrong type of parent.  She complained that two boys had been sexting her at 10 at night, should be in bed, and that she had nothing to do with it.  We talked to the boys only to find out they had different stories when confronted she denied it all.  Well things got heated and the father of one of the boy brought in his boys phone with the texts on them, she had been taunting them and also was saying that because she was a girl that we would believe her.  Well, we took care of that one, which had nothing to do with school only to turn around again and have more problems, this time about a sleepover, this is not a school issue yet the parents say we should discipline these other girls with detentions, ugh!

Is this girl's name Taylar?

She sounds exactly like this little twit that goes to school with my daughter.  My post, telling a child's parent you do not like their child..............you described this girl to a tee.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I promise you...I am NOT that mom! I can't tand the type.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I find this interesting only because when I was in school, the school made it their business to discipline us for events outside of school hours/events often.  I wonder if it is a school district choice. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM
4 moms liked this

Often times, I think some of the young kids find the lines blurred.  It is not their fault, they are at school all day and form bonds with certain teachers, admin and others.  They feel they can go to these people with issues that really should be dealt with at home.

Other times, kids don't have that parent at home who listens or cares so they will gravitate towards others.

Then there are those who run to the office at every whim, telling on so and so and claiming they are being bullied.

I do think  more definitive measures should be drawn out, and laid out for each and every parent, as to what is, and is not, acceptable from their child while at school.  What is, and is not, covered in the overall umbrella of the school in regards to behavior and instances that take place once school is out.

It's tough.  I can imagine it is tough for most teachers.

btamilee
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM
4 moms liked this

None of this belongs in school.  I don't blame you for feeling the way you do, this is NOT a school issue, but a parental problem.  

Quoting marinequeen:

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this

When they have young, immature humans for a large proportion of the time they're awake, teachers GET to discipline (that is: guide) children to civilized, ethical behaviour.

If not them, who is supposed to be doing it when there are no other adults around? Other children? The air?

marinequeen
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM
3 moms liked this

These are not my discipline problems outside of school.  We cannot go to their house, feed them supper, help them with their homework, and solve all the parenting issues.  I have four children of my own and I cannot take away from my home time to discipline what should be a at home problem.

Quoting marinequeen:

It seems to me that parents are expecting teachers to actually raise their child/children. They complain when problems in their house happens with their children that have nothing to do with school but they still think that the teachers should get involved.  Here is an idea, don't let your preteens text or get on facebook that is where a lot of the drama starts.  We cannot discipline a child for something that happens at night at the house, I have my own house to deal with at the end of the day I sure do not need a bunch of drama queens to deal with.  Sorry rough day at school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)