Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teachers are to teach not to raise your children

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems to me that parents are expecting teachers to actually raise their child/children. They complain when problems in their house happens with their children that have nothing to do with school but they still think that the teachers should get involved.  Here is an idea, don't let your preteens text or get on facebook that is where a lot of the drama starts.  We cannot discipline a child for something that happens at night at the house, I have my own house to deal with at the end of the day I sure do not need a bunch of drama queens to deal with.  Sorry rough day at school.

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM
2 moms liked this
The person who is in control of your kids for the majority of their young lives are the people raising your kids. I know this is not popular or even PC, but it's the truth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM
If it didn't happen at school, then it isn't tour problem. The schools problem is not telling the parents to deal with their own out of school issues.

Quoting marinequeen:

We have a female student who has been known to be dishonest, needless to say she comes from a my child can do no wrong type of parent.  She complained that two boys had been sexting her at 10 at night, should be in bed, and that she had nothing to do with it.  We talked to the boys only to find out they had different stories when confronted she denied it all.  Well things got heated and the father of one of the boy brought in his boys phone with the texts on them, she had been taunting them and also was saying that because she was a girl that we would believe her.  Well, we took care of that one, which had nothing to do with school only to turn around again and have more problems, this time about a sleepover, this is not a school issue yet the parents say we should discipline these other girls with detentions, ugh!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marinequeen
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

But if it is after school hours I think the parents should be responsible for what the kids do, I do have a life outside of the classroom and most importantly a family that needs me.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Quoting marinequeen:

But if it is after school hours I think the parents should be responsible for what the kids do, I do have a life outside of the classroom and most importantly a family that needs me.

I agree with you.

I know there are sometimes, certain circumstances, when 'after school' spills in to 'during school' and can disrupt the learning process. But generally, when a child does some thing such as this kid did, it is up to her parents to parent.

Where her parents called by the school?  

coronado25
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this
I can only speak for me and mine...But I told them from the get go and impressed it through the years that the point of school was for learning reading writing history and sciences. PE is a plus, they should be active daily outside of school and arts are a plus because they shoud have hobbies, crafts and music outside of school. And, most importantly I stressed that the society they make at school must nevertake prioity overacademic learning nor should it ever be allowed to distract or interfere with another child's peace and opportunity to learn or take any time or attention away from the academic duty of those who are good enough to take on the proffession of teaching....Sounds harsh but I think the mentality of it sinks home. I know it is not everyone's opinion. My kids did well. My daughter was taught at home for part of second grade due to bullying. But returned in fall with no further problems. She is in college now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

There is a lot of bullying in the schools that have nothing to do with Facebook.  In my younger dd's class, an overweight girl is constantly teased and the teacher does NOTHING about it.  She won't talk to the kids doing the teasing. Facebook has nothing to do with that.

coronado25
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM
OH! I meant to write maths in all my list of imprtant academics! THE most important really!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

There is a lot of bullying in the schools that have nothing to do with Facebook.  In my younger dd's class, an overweight girl is constantly teased and the teacher does NOTHING about it.  She won't talk to the kids doing the teasing. Facebook has nothing to do with that.

This upsets me.  The teacher should indeed step in.  This is taking place in her classroom, her school, her domain.  Something needs to be done.

I don't think, and I could be wrong, that these type of situations is what the OP is talking about.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Maybe not in that situation, but you cannot deny the fact that social media is a huge tool in bullying. My personal opinion is that children have zero business on FB, MySpace, twitter, etc. I have yet to hear of a single positive that has come out of children having access to these things. 

I hate it when I see children of friends have sent me a friend request. I always email them back and explain I don't have children on my FB page. I find it inappropriate. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM

It upsets my dd too.  She is suh a quiet, shy kid. She wants to stick up for this girl and say something to these bullies but she is scared.  My oldest would have done it in a heart beat.  It is a tough call on my part.  I kind of want to tell her to stick up for this girl but I do not want them turning on her.  She does include this girl in as much as she can and talks to her but won't tell the bullies to knock it off. It's a tough one.  And her teacher is an ass. My oldest hd her and she was an ass than too.  I should have requested a new teacher but she didn't want me to and I believe they have to learn to deal with difficult situations.  I am tempted to email the principal but I am afraid they will tell the kids it was me and turn it around on my dd who honestly cannot handle it

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

This upsets me.  The teacher should indeed step in.  This is taking place in her classroom, her school, her domain.  Something needs to be done.

I don't think, and I could be wrong, that these type of situations is what the OP is talking about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)