Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teachers are to teach not to raise your children

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems to me that parents are expecting teachers to actually raise their child/children. They complain when problems in their house happens with their children that have nothing to do with school but they still think that the teachers should get involved.  Here is an idea, don't let your preteens text or get on facebook that is where a lot of the drama starts.  We cannot discipline a child for something that happens at night at the house, I have my own house to deal with at the end of the day I sure do not need a bunch of drama queens to deal with.  Sorry rough day at school.

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Replies (31-40):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

They are raising the kids while they are at school.  What happens at home under the parents' supervision needs to be owned by the parent.  If my child hits another kid at school, I consider that my problem, but I also consider it the school's problem because the school is responsible for my son while he is there.  If my child hits another kid at a friend's house, it is my friend's problem, because she is the responsible adult in her home (as well as mine because I am teaching my kids that they are not to hit others).  If it happens under my husband's care, it is his problem... and so on and so forth.  The responsible adult(s) who is (are) in charge of the kid at the time of the incident is the one (are the ones) responsible for taking care of the incident.

Quoting stacymomof2:

If the school is raising them, it is their problem.  That is what raising means, there is no break from raising kids.

Quoting kailu1835:

If it didn't happen at school, then it isn't tour problem. The schools problem is not telling the parents to deal with their own out of school issues.

Quoting marinequeen:

We have a female student who has been known to be dishonest, needless to say she comes from a my child can do no wrong type of parent.  She complained that two boys had been sexting her at 10 at night, should be in bed, and that she had nothing to do with it.  We talked to the boys only to find out they had different stories when confronted she denied it all.  Well things got heated and the father of one of the boy brought in his boys phone with the texts on them, she had been taunting them and also was saying that because she was a girl that we would believe her.  Well, we took care of that one, which had nothing to do with school only to turn around again and have more problems, this time about a sleepover, this is not a school issue yet the parents say we should discipline these other girls with detentions, ugh!

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

marinequeen
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I want people to realize that we do love our students dearly and even think on them and take into account their situations.  It is hurtful when you know something is going on and the parents want you to handle it but if it is a home problem you need to let the parents parent.  We have on a few occasions said to kids if it is getting too rough at home call us if you need to talk.  That is a safety issue only, not to parent but to listen.  The minute we step into the drama we get called before the board because we have over stepped our bounds.  

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

That's outrageous. 

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Well dd is in kindergarten and if she won't behave at home ( mostly doesn't want to do hw or read) I do tell the teacher. The teacher doesn't mind talking to her and I have seen teachers take away play time at the parents request for bad behavior at home.(mostly pre-k students)

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely.  The only reason I ever tell my son's teacher that he has been having difficulties at home is to give her a heads up in case those difficulties carry over into school.  I would never dream of asking her to punish him for something he did at school.  That's crossing a line.  I take responsibility for anything he does in my home, including any consequences that may fall.

Quoting desertlvn:

That's outrageous. 

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Well dd is in kindergarten and if she won't behave at home ( mostly doesn't want to do hw or read) I do tell the teacher. The teacher doesn't mind talking to her and I have seen teachers take away play time at the parents request for bad behavior at home.(mostly pre-k students)

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

marinequeen
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I agree that this was over the top.  This brings to question who is the parent and who is the teacher, people need to take care of home matters at home.  Not a problem if we are aware of problems in the house but, we should not have to punish for incidents at the house.

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Kailu, what you do makes sense. The other poster, however, is becoming completely ineffective and powerless as a parent.

Quoting kailu1835:

Absolutely.  The only reason I ever tell my son's teacher that he has been having difficulties at home is to give her a heads up in case those difficulties carry over into school.  I would never dream of asking her to punish him for something he did at school.  That's crossing a line.  I take responsibility for anything he does in my home, including any consequences that may fall.

Quoting desertlvn:

That's outrageous. 

Quoting kaylasmom22:

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Well sometimes this kids listen more to their teacher than the parents. I'm talking pre-k and kinder level. I know for a fact the some prek kids respect their teacher more than the parents. I think its nice that we as parents can have a open communication with the teachers. Some teachers view their jobs as a paycheck others view it as a opportunity to make a difference.

Quoting desertlvn:

That's outrageous. 

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:23 PM
You mean me? Because I have a good relationship with my daughter's teacher I'm being a ineffective parent? Smh

Quoting desertlvn:

Kailu, what you do makes sense. The other poster, however, is becoming completely ineffective and powerless as a parent.

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting desertlvn:

That's outrageous. 

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I cannot understand why you would be expected to discipline kids for something that happened AT HOME, not at school. That is not your responsibility--absolutely ridiculous.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I expect that when I drop them off at school that the teachers keep them their and accounted for. They should teach and supervise not raise

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)