Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

FBI investigating shooting incident at Tennessee nuclear power plant

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

A gunman took at least two shots at a security officer outside the Watts Bar nuclear power plant in east Tennessee and then escaped in a boat, a spokesman for the Tennessee Valley Authority said.

The incident, which is being investigated by the FBI and local police authorities, occurred just before 2 a.m. Sunday. TVA spokesman Jim Hopson said the gunman has not been apprehended.

FBI officials did not immediately respond to a telephone message left Monday.

The power plant, which was not damaged during the shooting, was put on an "unusual event” status—the lowest caution level for a facility regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Hopson said. The facility remained on that status through early Sunday afternoon, he said.

Security at the nuclear plant was not compromised during the incident, he said. The security officer also was not injured.

“But anytime you have shots taken at a security officer at a nuclear plant, that’s a big issue,” Hopson added.

The episode began when a security officer on patrol outside Watts Bar plant noticed an individual standing on the bank of the Tennessee River on plant property. Hopson said the officer challenged the individual, believed to be a white male wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

The individual pulled a handgun and took at least two shots at the officer, Hopson said. The security guard returned fire and called for backup. The gunman got into a flat-bottomed boat and escaped downstream. The exchange occurred in less than a minute, Hopson said.

Hopson declined to identify the security officer.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/fbi-investigating-shooting-incident-tennessee-nuclear-power-plant-185128019.html

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Wow. So not comforting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Oh good. All the crazies are coming out now. *sigh*

I live about an hour from a nuclear plant. When I hear stuff like this, it makes me want to move far, far away. 

punky3175
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
What the hell is going on that has made people lose their damn minds?!?! (I know....it's happened like this before it just seems like an awful lot going on so close together.)
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:57 PM

smh

jllcali
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM
I wonder if maybe he was involved in smuggling and was scoping out places to conduct business. Obviously that was not an ideal location, but crimminals are dumb sometimes.

Or if he was scoping out the plant to possibly sabotage it.
mrssummerlin
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:47 PM
How interesting.

I think I need to watch the news more or something because I don't live to far from there and I hadn't heard about this.
Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Scoping out the plant...that was my thought too. Scary! I'm glad the security guard is okay.

Quoting jllcali:

I wonder if maybe he was involved in smuggling and was scoping out places to conduct business. Obviously that was not an ideal location, but crimminals are dumb sometimes.

Or if he was scoping out the plant to possibly sabotage it.
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to blame that rodent in PA that told us last February it was going to be an early Spring.

So lets blame the rat that was on steroids, for all the ills of our society.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Oh good. All the crazies are coming out now. *sigh*

I live about an hour from a nuclear plant. When I hear stuff like this, it makes me want to move far, far away. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Yeah

A shooting on unprotected land once they see the rent a cop, while probably poaching, is completely scary.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN