Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O (kind of) on, Is Islam more dangerous? Why do we need to humanize these terrorists?

Posted by   + Show Post

I tend to agree with everything they said here. CBS should be ashamed. 

Ps. I think Amanda Palmer should be exiled or committed, or both. 

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:52 AM

the point of free speech isn't the protection of popular speech

save you bile for those on this site saying those "poor guys" were "framed" or are innocent, why don't you?

Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:57 AM
I can't see the video. What is going on?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:57 AM
16 moms liked this

I think it's important to humanize them.  Call it liberal psychobabble if you like, but there is something to be said about addressing root causes of issues.  Simply writing them off as "evil" ignores some pretty significant realities that can and should be addressed to prevent them from happening again.  That's the same concept behind "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it".  

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Not sure. It's a YouTube video I embedded. Try again maybe? 

Quoting Sunshine257:

I can't see the video. What is going on?

AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:01 AM
O_o

The wrongness of that aside, dehumanizing ones enemy is a pretty big step towards evil. I think "glorifying" would be a more fitting word than "humanizing." And personally i dont see anything wrong with attempting to better understand the causes or motivations of people who do evil things, rather than just writing them off as monsters and hanging them high. Its not like anyone is saying he should go free because he was young, popular, and moderately handsome. I think people are just shocked that such a generally likeable guy went SO wrong. I havent seen anyone denying that he is a terrorist who should and will be punished for his crimes.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:Not these monsters or anyone else of their ilk. Did you watch the clip? That was referring to how CBS news found people to ogle over the younger brother. Pretty disgusting. 
Quoting AlekD:Wait..what? There is no need to "humanize" humans...
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:02 AM
6 moms liked this

We already know the root cause. It's radicalism. Nothing more to know. I do believe it's shameful to make them sound like victims themselves. Which is exactly what CBS and others have done. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

I think it's important to humanize them.  Call it liberal psychobabble if you like, but there is something to be said about addressing root causes of issues.  Simply writing them off as "evil" ignores some pretty significant realities that can and should be addressed to prevent them from happening again.  That's the same concept behind "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it".  

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:03 AM
2 moms liked this

The  US liberals love Islam.  Period.  It's too chic these days to express a negative opinion on extremist Muslims.  You know they're crazy, I know they are crazy,   but to bitch about is is stereotyping....and that's ignorant.  Ignorant, or uneducated....trouble is, I am educated to know and realize that extremists are very, very dangerous people who by coincidence keep  blowing things up in the name of Islam. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

We already know the root cause. It's radicalism. Nothing more to know. I do believe it's shameful to make them sound like victims themselves. Which is exactly what CBS and others have done. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Completely agree! 

As long as we keep pushing this off as a problem with Islam or a problem with this group of people or that group of people these things are going to continue to happen. It's not a problem with Islam. It's a problem with people. Islam didn't tell them to do what they did, some psycho babble on the computer did. The answer isn't to pretend these guys are some how different han us, than our loved ones, or our neighbors. It's to learn that people sometimes go down the wrong path. They get carried away in crazy crap that they shouldn't and because of that innocent people get hurt. We need to be reminded that these are people. They are people with families and friends who appeared to be normal because we need to be reminded tha anybody can fall into the wrong crowd and do something bad. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:49 AM
4 moms liked this

Yes, but why are 19 year old kids drawn to it?  That's the question I want answered.  And hopefully it can help prevent other kids from being taken in by it. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting jessilin0113:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Violence seems to be a go to answer for you.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I am in no mood for your kind of idiocy this evening. I think she is as evil as the terrorists after writing what she did FOR THEM. NOT for the actual victims. As far as I am concerned she is guilty of being insane, or treasonous at heart. For the moment, yes, I feel she should be cast out. Would it happen? No, but that's how I feel about what she did. It's despicable. I wouldn't reward her for a damn thing other than a swift kick in the ass that is clearly needed. 

However, I am betting you knew that already. As usual, you are looking for drama. Again, not in the mood. 

You'll have to look elsewhere for your nightly dose. 

Cheers. ;-) 

Quoting autodidact:

oh, pardon me. you want to "reward" free speech with exile or institutionalization. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Yep. Exactly what I said. 

Quoting autodidact:

so you're not a fan of free speech, then. got it. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN