Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O (kind of) on, Is Islam more dangerous? Why do we need to humanize these terrorists?

Posted by   + Show Post

I tend to agree with everything they said here. CBS should be ashamed. 

Ps. I think Amanda Palmer should be exiled or committed, or both. 

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Replies (21-30):
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM
6 moms liked this

The terrorists are human beings.  Understanding why they act as they do could be the first step to figuring out how to short circuit this personality type from expressing itself through wanton destruction.  Dehumanizing them does not help defeat them, it just makes "us" feel better about bombing "them" back, killing their loved ones, and perpetuating the cycle.  (general us, general them) 

I agree that these guys are monsters, but they are human monsters.  I hope everyone who contributed to this violence is caught and punished.  

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM
6 moms liked this

Some human violence is just a series of retaliations- if you take each side's story into consideration.
They did this, so we did this back.

Oh yeah? Well they did that before and that's why we did that before.

On and on until the cows come home. Too many innocent people get caught in between.

Being part of the violence isn't the best idea, ever. Getting all "argh, we should shoot em all and let god sort em out" isn't helpful.

DEhumanizing the baddies on either side answers no questions and doesn't help prevent anything. They're ALL humans.

I'm all about prevention. I think that the allopathic instaretaliatoryviolence thing I'm seeing .. everywhere.. is freakin' annoying.

parentalrights1
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM
3 moms liked this
There you conservatives go with your made up bullshit again

Noone protects extremist Muslims. Liberals just understand the concept of not blaming and persecuting and entire group of religious people based on a few radical crazies.

As for the two bombers, yes there are a few goobers who feel sorry for them. A special kind of crazy is always going to exist somewhere, but mostly people are trying to understand then and are shocked by the events.

Quit trying to paint liberals as people who like terrorists. This is why noone takes conservatives seriously anymore.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

The  US liberals love Islam.  Period.  It's too chic these days to express a negative opinion on extremist Muslims.  You know they're crazy, I know they are crazy,   but to bitch about is is stereotyping....and that's ignorant.  Ignorant, or uneducated....trouble is, I am educated to know and realize that extremists are very, very dangerous people who by coincidence keep  blowing things up in the name of Islam. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

We already know the root cause. It's radicalism. Nothing more to know. I do believe it's shameful to make them sound like victims themselves. Which is exactly what CBS and others have done. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

I think it's important to humanize them.  Call it liberal psychobabble if you like, but there is something to be said about addressing root causes of issues.  Simply writing them off as "evil" ignores some pretty significant realities that can and should be addressed to prevent them from happening again.  That's the same concept behind "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it".  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Generica
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Oh yeah lets treat them like animals, dehumanize...sure.

Lame.

Its important to understand how things come to a head so we can tackle these issues before they happen again. I think there was an article posted here on just that.

Sticking your head in the sand and "dehumanizing" isn't going to do a thing.

krysstizzle
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

What? Humans don't need to be humanized; they're just humans. Pretending the people who do horrible things aren't human isn't helping anything at all.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Hmm. I think to a point it is important to humanize them. People like this  live among us, they blend and adapt. They have a skewed human nature. We need to know that, they aren't just "over there", or some "alternate being". These boys were neighbors, students coworkers- I get what they are saying, but I don't completely agree. I think for many perhaps it may help them not be so trusting of everyone. While it is a very small percent of people, this could be our neighbor, or a peer of one of our children.

I don't think though, that humanizng them should make us any less trusting or make the penalties any less. Certainly not make us empathetic for them.

I also think the idiot who wrote the poem should be charged ; that kind of thinking isn't just dangerous, it's influencial to others who are just as screwed up. She's a singer, songwriter... she's a screwed up as they are with that line of thinking.

I guess I don't watch the news enough, I haven't seen any of those discussions.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Seems mature.    Okay.

Mommy2BeAmy
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Holy fuck leave islam out of it

The guy drank was a drinker right there hes not an observing muslim. The guy was a partyer thats not an observing muslim. Why keep saying muslim muslim muslim islam islam islam just say the russian immigrant bomber. Why?! Everytime you connect islam and bombing or any act of terror its making troubke for the majority of muslims the ones who follow the correct islam the peaceful islam. These kids had no islamic motive so these reporters need to leave islam out of it ghey know mosques in usa have been burned, muslims are frequent victims of hate crimes. Jeez I wonder if we stop making the followers of islam look like they obey a sick lets kill non Muslim woman hating ideology maybe we can stop being fucking targeted.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

If it's that simple *knowing the root cause*, why haven't we stopped it from happening?  What would you suggest?

Has it occurred to anyone that some are curious about them from a human standpoint?  Or that CBS may be looking at things from outside-the-box which is something we don't necessarily see from The Group of Five.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

We already know the root cause. It's radicalism. Nothing more to know. I do believe it's shameful to make them sound like victims themselves. Which is exactly what CBS and others have done. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

I think it's important to humanize them.  Call it liberal psychobabble if you like, but there is something to be said about addressing root causes of issues.  Simply writing them off as "evil" ignores some pretty significant realities that can and should be addressed to prevent them from happening again.  That's the same concept behind "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it".  

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I was thinking the same thing....

Quoting LauraKW:

Violence seems to be a go to answer for you.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I am in no mood for your kind of idiocy this evening. I think she is as evil as the terrorists after writing what she did FOR THEM. NOT for the actual victims. As far as I am concerned she is guilty of being insane, or treasonous at heart. For the moment, yes, I feel she should be cast out. Would it happen? No, but that's how I feel about what she did. It's despicable. I wouldn't reward her for a damn thing other than a swift kick in the ass that is clearly needed. 

However, I am betting you knew that already. As usual, you are looking for drama. Again, not in the mood. 

You'll have to look elsewhere for your nightly dose. 

Cheers. ;-) 

Quoting autodidact:

oh, pardon me. you want to "reward" free speech with exile or institutionalization. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Yep. Exactly what I said. 

Quoting autodidact:

so you're not a fan of free speech, then. got it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)