Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O (kind of) on, Is Islam more dangerous? Why do we need to humanize these terrorists?

Posted by   + Show Post

I tend to agree with everything they said here. CBS should be ashamed. 

Ps. I think Amanda Palmer should be exiled or committed, or both. 

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Replies (31-40):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM

oh, bullshit. I don't love any religion, I'm defending the right to free speech and pointing out the stupidity of considering words as evil as bombs,

land the vast majority of Muslims don't kill anyone.theres not a damn thing wrong with condemning those who do.

who here is claiming otherwise?

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

The  US liberals love Islam.  Period.  It's too chic these days to express a negative opinion on extremist Muslims.  You know they're crazy, I know they are crazy,   but to bitch about is is stereotyping....and that's ignorant.  Ignorant, or uneducated....trouble is, I am educated to know and realize that extremists are very, very dangerous people who by coincidence keep  blowing things up in the name of Islam. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

We already know the root cause. It's radicalism. Nothing more to know. I do believe it's shameful to make them sound like victims themselves. Which is exactly what CBS and others have done. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

I think it's important to humanize them.  Call it liberal psychobabble if you like, but there is something to be said about addressing root causes of issues.  Simply writing them off as "evil" ignores some pretty significant realities that can and should be addressed to prevent them from happening again.  That's the same concept behind "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it".  

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM

charged with what, exactly? what about it is dangerous?

Quoting Ziva65:

Hmm. I think to a point it is important to humanize them. People like this  live among us, they blend and adapt. They have a skewed human nature. We need to know that, they aren't just "over there", or some "alternate being". These boys were neighbors, students coworkers- I get what they are saying, but I don't completely agree. I think for many perhaps it may help them not be so trusting of everyone. While it is a very small percent of people, this could be our neighbor, or a peer of one of our children.

I don't think though, that humanizng them should make us any less trusting or make the penalties any less. Certainly not make us empathetic for them.

I also think the idiot who wrote the poem should be charged ; that kind of thinking isn't just dangerous, it's influencial to others who are just as screwed up. She's a singer, songwriter... she's a screwed up as they are with that line of thinking.

I guess I don't watch the news enough, I haven't seen any of those discussions.

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM
5 moms liked this
The value in humanizing those we prefer to demonize is that humanizing provides answers. How / why / when did such evil rear its ugly head in this murder / terrorist?

Simply hating them and not learning teaches us very little and helps us even less.

Humanizing does not mean absolving from guilt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I'm no attorney, it just seems to me she (the songwriter/singer) is openly condoning the terrorist acts...do we just people do that in the name of free speech? IDK, I see a problem with it.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting Ziva65:

Hmm. I think to a point it is important to humanize them. People like this  live among us, they blend and adapt. They have a skewed human nature. We need to know that, they aren't just "over there", or some "alternate being". These boys were neighbors, students coworkers- I get what they are saying, but I don't completely agree. I think for many perhaps it may help them not be so trusting of everyone. While it is a very small percent of people, this could be our neighbor, or a peer of one of our children.

I don't think though, that humanizng them should make us any less trusting or make the penalties any less. Certainly not make us empathetic for them.

I also think the idiot who wrote the poem should be charged ; that kind of thinking isn't just dangerous, it's influencial to others who are just as screwed up. She's a singer, songwriter... she's a screwed up as they are with that line of thinking.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM

where is she doing that? she's broken no laws.

Quoting Ziva65:

I'm no attorney, it just seems to me she (the songwriter/singer) is openly condoning the terrorist acts...do we just people do that in the name of free speech? IDK, I see a problem with it.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting Ziva65:

lokilover
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Holy fuck leave islam out of it

The guy drank was a drinker right there hes not an observing muslim. The guy was a partyer thats not an observing muslim. Why keep saying muslim muslim muslim islam islam islam just say the russian immigrant bomber. Why?! Everytime you connect islam and bombing or any act of terror its making troubke for the majority of muslims the ones who follow the correct islam the peaceful islam. These kids had no islamic motive so these reporters need to leave islam out of it ghey know mosques in usa have been burned, muslims are frequent victims of hate crimes. Jeez I wonder if we stop making the followers of islam look like they obey a sick lets kill non Muslim woman hating ideology maybe we can stop being fucking targeted.

They most definitely did have an Islamic motive. They're online profiles have many links to radical Islamic ideas. 

And by the way, your last sentence not only proves that you are disgusting, but that you know it too.

lokilover
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Quoting rfurlongg:

The value in humanizing those we prefer to demonize is that humanizing provides answers. How / why / when did such evil rear its ugly head in this murder / terrorist?

Simply hating them and not learning teaches us very little and helps us even less.

What answers?

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

They are humans. Human on human violence is a human problem. Stop blaming what happened on shit like "evil" and "monsters". It's stupid and childish.

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Well, the questions are very open ended therefore the answers can range wildly. Was this preventable? If so when and at what level? Was any other person / persons involved? If so, what was the level of involement? What were the events surrounding the decision to be destructive? Were their culture norms at play? So on, and so on.
Quoting lokilover:

Quoting rfurlongg:

What answers?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lokilover
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting rfurlongg:

Well, the questions are very open ended therefore the answers can range wildly. Was this preventable? If so when and at what level? Was any other person / persons involved? If so, what was the level of involement? What were the events surrounding the decision to be destructive? Were their culture norms at play? So on, and so on.

Quoting lokilover:

Quoting rfurlongg:

What answers?

Most of those don't need humanization to be answered. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN