Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

An 8th grader, in my home town, was handcuffed and hauled off to jail for wearing this

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Replies (11-20):
LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Yes thank you. An actual news story and not just garble.

Seems like it could have been handled differently and things got out of control. The teacher as the adult should have got the principal and had them handle it. The student should have respected what the teacher said, turned the shirt around and then gone to the principal about it.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/west-virginia-teen-arrested-wearing-nra-shirt-school/story?id=19017896#.UXZ2jyvF3lM

Quoting SilverSterling:

Is this on any other News Source other then Fox? They tend to over play things (while I am well aware other sources downplay) I want something to balance out the bs before I form an opinion

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I think the teacher may have over-stepped but it also sounds like he was getting belligerent.  

The dress code doesn't prohibit gun images but does prohibit violence.  I guess it's a matter of opinion as to whether you thing the picture is simply the one or the other. 

btamilee
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM

We have a dress code at our High School, but it is NOT up to the teachers to enforce it....they get sent to the principal and he is the one to handle the situation. 

tambrathegreat
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm calling bull shit on the teacher in this story.  It sounds like they over reacted and were the cause of the non-almost riot. 

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

1- Students should not be arrested unless they're posing some kind of imminent threat. Like, if they BRING a gun to school. Schools aren't jails and I'm sick of the blending that seems to be happening. 

2- If images of guns aren't banned, too bad for the school. Follow the rules, if the rules are there to follow. This one wasn't.

3- The parents should have been called IF there had actually been an item in the handbook pertaining to wearing images of guns.

4- Since when is debating something we call the police for?

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I read about this in the national news.  I read he was being disruptive and that in the following days, several students wore NRA shirts in his defence.  Of course I trust about 10% of what the National news says, so....

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM

UPDATE: 8th grader suspended over t-shirt returns to school

WBOY-TV
updated 4/22/2013 4:51:08 PM ET2013-04-22T20:51:08

UPDATE:

Jared Marcum, the eighth grade Logan, West Virginia student who was suspended and arrested after refusing to change his NRA t-shirt at school, was met by several supporters Monday morning outside of Logan Middle School.

Jared returned to class, fresh off of suspension, wearing the same exact shirt that initiated the "t-shirt control" controversy in the first place.

"There's a lot of people wearing this same exact shirt, showing great, great support and I really appreciate it," Jared said just before walking into school.

Jared's father, Allen Lardieri, says getting Jared back into school was his first priority.

"We've completed the first leg of what we wanted to accomplish here," Lardieri said. "Now, we're working on the next step, which is trying to clear his name."

Lardieri says that he was informed by Logan City Police on Thursday that his son was facing two charges, obstructing an officer and disrupting the education process. However, Jared's attorney Ben White says that wasn't the police department's call to make.

"He was arrested, he was put into handcuffs, he was removed from the school and brought to the Logan City Police Department," White said. "Charges aren't officially filed or brought until the prosecuting attorney's signs off on them and they don't do that willy nilly. They do that after a thorough investigation."

That investigation is now under way, led by juvenile prosecuting attorney Sabrina Deskins.

Lardieri and White presented the Logan County School District with a letter requesting footage from surveillance video that may have captured the initial confrontation. Once they review the footage and conclude their meetings Logan County School District officials, they will decide who to name in a civil suit, which they say is imminent.

"There are cases on point for this exact situation and I feel strongly that we will prevail on this issue," White said. "If the board supports the band teacher's directive to turn the shirt inside out, obviously they'll be named in that suit as well."

When asked in person by 13 News about the situation, Logan County Superintendent Wilma Zigmond responded, "It's not, 'No comment,' it's the fact that I just can't discuss the student."

ORIGINAL:

The eighth grader taken out of school on April 18 for refusing to change his shirt has returned to school today, in the same shirt.

Jared Marcum was first pulled out of school on Thursday when he refused to change his shirt which displayed a rifle and the words "NRA: Protect Your Rights." He wore the same shirt to school today and was allowed to attend.

According to the juvenile prosecuting attorney charges have not been filed against Marcum but they did confirm that he was arrested by Logan City Police on Thursday afternoon and that an investigation is underway.

(READ MORE: Questions remain unanswered for 8th graderarrested over t-shirt)

According to the Logan City Police Dept., officers were called at the school's request. Officers arrested Jared and took him to the Logan City Police Dept., he was then transferred to the Logan County Courthouse where his father picked him up.

Jared's attorney, Ben White, is petitioning to get the school's surveillance video and says a civil lawsuit is imminent for violating Jared's first amendment rights.

Today, Logan County Schools superintendent Wilma Zigmond told 13 News that she could not discuss Jared's case. Logan Middle School did, however, give Jared's father paperwork for the one-day suspension Jared served on Friday.

Update:  WDYWTBWYGU?

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I want to know why his parents allowed him to.have the shirt in the first place. There is a problem there.
The school needs to discuss that with the parents who are obviously doing a poor job raising their kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Of course you would think that, lol

Quoting lga1965:

I want to know why his parents allowed him to.have the shirt in the first place. There is a problem there.
The school needs to discuss that with the parents who are obviously doing a poor job raising their kid.

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM

What? Why is it a problem? Because you do not think the right to have firearms should be in our Constitution? Well so sad..so sorry too bad.

As for the OP If there are rules against that type of stuff on clothing than the boy should have followed the rules but having him arrested is overkill.

Quoting lga1965:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured