Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

An 8th grader, in my home town, was handcuffed and hauled off to jail for wearing this

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Replies (31-40):
tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Right and not how some liberals like yourself wish to try and re-write it or remove it altogether.Thank you.

Quoting lga1965:

The way it was originally written.

Quoting tnmomofive:

So tell us how it should be interepted...

Quoting lga1965:

Well THAt was jumping to a conclusion and being a wingnut at the same time.

I believe in the constitution but too many people misinterpret it.

Because they're not very bright.

Quoting tnmomofive:

What? Why is it a problem? Because you do not think the right to have firearms should be in our Constitution? Well so sad..so sorry too bad.

As for the OP If there are rules against that type of stuff on clothing than the boy should have followed the rules but having him arrested is overkill.

Quoting lga1965:

I want to know why his parents allowed him to.have the shirt in the first place. There is a problem there.

The school needs to discuss that with the parents who are obviously doing a poor job raising their kid.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

of course not, especially if it is one you don't approve of, right?  I would bet if he was advertising for equal rights for gays and a conservative teacher had him arrested, you wouldn't have had a problem.

Quoting lga1965:

And they don't care if their kid breaks a rule,obviously. A shirt that advertises has no place at school and they had a policy about that . But it seems he was probably being difficult. Do you side with this kid over the school ? If he was cuffed it's a pretty good bet he,was hostile.

Quoting candlegal:

Of course you would think that, lol

Quoting lga1965:

I want to know why his parents allowed him to.have the shirt in the first place. There is a problem there.

The school needs to discuss that with the parents who are obviously doing a poor job raising their kid.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM

If it was up to her, no one would be allowed guns but of course the criminals would still have them.

Quoting tnmomofive:

Right and not how some liberals like yourself wish to try and re-write it or remove it altogether.Thank you.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting tnmomofive:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting tnmomofive:

What? Why is it a problem? Because you do not think the right to have firearms should be in our Constitution? Well so sad..so sorry too bad.

As for the OP If there are rules against that type of stuff on clothing than the boy should have followed the rules but having him arrested is overkill.

Quoting lga1965:

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Again...opinion over facts: link

It was the image of a gun printed on Jared’s t-shirt that sparked a dispute between a Logan Middle School teacher and Jared, that ended with Jared suspended, arrested and facing two charges, obstruction and disturbing the education process, on his otherwise spotless record.

The Logan County School District’s dress code policy prohibits clothing that displays profanity, violence, discriminatory messages and more but nowhere in the document does it say anything about gun images.

Quoting lga1965:

And they don't care if their kid breaks a rule,obviously. A shirt that advertises has no place at school and they had a policy about that . But it seems he was probably being difficult. Do you side with this kid over the school ? If he was cuffed it's a pretty good bet he,was hostile.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah..I don't really understand her thinking (although she is not the only one).Even democrat politicians on the hill admitted that the latest gun control bill would do nothing to stop tragedies like the ones of late.All it would likely do is create more victims.

Quoting candlegal:

If it was up to her, no one would be allowed guns but of course the criminals would still have them.

Quoting tnmomofive:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting tnmomofive:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting tnmomofive:

Quoting lga1965:

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Ha, I never will

Quoting tnmomofive:

Yeah..I don't really understand her thinking (although she is not the only one).Even democrat politicians on the hill admitted that the latest gun control bill would do nothing to stop tragedies like the ones of late.All it would likely do is create more victims.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting tnmomofive:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting tnmomofive:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting tnmomofive:

Quoting lga1965:

Fairegirl33
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM

What is the rest of the information...

He "refused to remove his shirt"... was he beligerent ? Or did he just say No, I won't remove it ?

Sounds a bit extreme and I may be wrong but in most of these types of situation there is more to the story.

lga1965
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:53 AM
How do you know ?
There is something else going on here ....they called the police,you know.
The whole thing sounds bad.
Quoting Woodbabe:

But see...while YOU are expressing an opinion, he's expressing a legal right. You and this teacher are putting your feelings on the matter on a higher level than his legal right to free speech about a constitutional right. He didn't bring a gun to school and pictures of guns are not forbidden by school policy.

Quoting lga1965:

Well of course you would approve of a shirt that advertises guns and the NRA. Disgusting. Hoodlums.

Quoting candlegal:

Of course you would think that, lol

Quoting lga1965:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM

It seems like it could possibly be overkill or more of the story is missing.

elkmomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Interesting, but this is not the only story nor the first to cover this issue.  Would people have a problem if the logo was a simple NRA slogan?   Dress codes need to be very specific in details and unwritten policies need to be written.   It wasn't all that long ago that a biblical phrase/ quote was terms for being sent home. What if it the message was about bith control or condoms?   Not long ago there were issues of the "I like boobies" braclets.  Does Political Correctness realy belong in the schools?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)