Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

An 8th grader, in my home town, was handcuffed and hauled off to jail for wearing this

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Replies (41-50):
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I'm not sure he was actually charged. Maybe all this was for disorderly conduct?

I almost wonder too if the kid wore the shirt to stir up trouble. I'm all for gun rights, but not intentionally creating trouble. Plus, even if such images weren't specifically banned;  think it is highly likely that there is a broad statement somewhere in the dress code that might cover it... anything offensive, something like that. It could definitely be perceived as offensive, especially in today's world.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Right- I almost think more of this is for disturbing the peace
\I can't find info anywhere in which he was actually charged-

Quoting Fairegirl33:

What is the rest of the information...

He "refused to remove his shirt"... was he beligerent ? Or did he just say No, I won't remove it ?

Sounds a bit extreme and I may be wrong but in most of these types of situation there is more to the story.

MommyO2-6631
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM
I don't see s problem with the shirt and want yo know where to buy one. I don't understand why the school had a problem with it either. The kid was teaching everyone about 2 amendments by just walking :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Fairegirl33
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I saw some replies talking about a fight ?   I missed that in the article...

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Fairegirl33:

He "refused to remove his shirt"... was he beligerent ? Or did he just say No, I won't remove it ?

Sounds a bit extreme and I may be wrong but in most of these types of situation there is more to the story.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh I don't doubt he got pissy...but if the teacher is going to overreact to a shirt, I'm sure there was some overreaction to how HE reacted as well. My article says he had a clean school record...if he made it to 8th grade and never got into trouble I'd hesitate to call him a hoodlum too quickly.

Quoting lga1965:

How do you know ?
There is something else going on here ....they called the police,you know.
The whole thing sounds bad.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

LuvmyAiden
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I have read several articles in the past couple days. It seems the school has no policy against what he was wearing and the was there until his 5th period teacher said something. He VERBALLY defended himself and his right to wear the shirt. The school flipped and called the cops. Or at least that is what I have gathered so far from what his dad said. The article I read said the school declined comment. I would be suing the pants of the school, period!

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

THat's wha tI was thinking.

Whatever it is, it goes beyond the school dress code issue. Kids get suspended, etc- school related discipline. Jail is civil- so what did the kid do?

Quoting Fairegirl33:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Fairegirl33:

Fairegirl33
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I agree with you 100%

Quoting Ziva65:

THat's wha tI was thinking.

Whatever it is, it goes beyond the school dress code issue. Kids get suspended, etc- school related discipline. Jail is civil- so what did the kid do?

Quoting Fairegirl33:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Fairegirl33:

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Well, that leaves it open to interpretation.  Many people consider a gun violent.  So that could be considering a violent image.  I mean, the purpose of a gun is to shoot something, no?  That could be deemed violent.

This sounds like it got WAY out of hand.  If the school decided his shirt went against their code, he should have simply turned it inside out and been done with it.  If he refused, they have the right to do whatever it is they do (send him home, detention, suspension, etc). 

It also sounds like the father has an agenda, and he is using his 13 year old for it.  He said ""I will go to the ends of the earth, I will call people, I will write letters, I will do everything in the legal realm to make sure this does not happen again," Lardieri said.

Or maybe just have your kid follow the dress code?  Cause that would be WAY easier.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Again...opinion over facts: link

It was the image of a gun printed on Jared’s t-shirt that sparked a dispute between a Logan Middle School teacher and Jared, that ended with Jared suspended, arrested and facing two charges, obstruction and disturbing the education process, on his otherwise spotless record.

The Logan County School District’s dress code policy prohibits clothing that displays profanity, violence, discriminatory messages and more but nowhere in the document does it say anything about gun images.

Quoting lga1965:

And they don't care if their kid breaks a rule,obviously. A shirt that advertises has no place at school and they had a policy about that . But it seems he was probably being difficult. Do you side with this kid over the school ? If he was cuffed it's a pretty good bet he,was hostile.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

He should have left the sleeves on the shirt.  Cutting them off look absolutely ridiculous.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN