Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

2nd Child Dies After Only Praying

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM
  • 40 Replies

2nd Child of Pa. Couple Dies After Only Praying

PHILADELPHIA April 23, 2013 (AP)

A Philadelphia couple - serving 10 years' probation for the 2009 death of their toddler after they turned to prayer instead of a doctor - has violated their probation now that another of their children has died.

Herbert and Catherine Schaible belong to a fundamentalist Christian church that believes in faith-healing

Philadelphia Judge Benjamin Lerner said at a hearing they violated the most important condition of their probation: to seek medical care for their remaining children.

Authorities have yet to file criminal charges in the death of the 8-month-old boy last week, after he suffered with diarrhea and breathing problems for days. But charges could be filed once authorities pinpoint how the baby died.

The couple is on probation after pleading guilty to involuntary manslaughter in 2011 in the death of their 2-year-old son, Kent, from pneumonia.

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Monstrous.  They need to be in jail.  That poor child.  This is so infuriating. 

Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Good grief! That is sad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:23 AM
4 moms liked this

They shouldn't have been on probation after killing their first child through neglect.

I hope this time they end up in jail permanently.

How disgusting.

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

banging head into wall  I do not understand these parents thinking.The good Lord works through doctors all of the time.Now they have lost two children because of their ignorance..wow.

my4kids274
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM

This story makes me sad.  :(  I really have no nice way of saying how I feel other than those people are idiots. 

lga1965
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Another example of how religion has been twisted into something wrong and unchristian. These people should have been jailed after their first child died of neglect. Some people should never have children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randi1978
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I hope they throw the book at them this time.  I'd even accuse them of purposely killing off their kids under the guise of "religious freedom".  They basically murdered one child already and the conditions of their probation (if this is the same case) was that they were to seek medical care for their other children in the event they became ill.

Lock them up and take their kids.  Don't ever let them go back.

lga1965
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Oh, and another anti science idiot pair who Pretend to be Christian.
They're morons.
Doctors heal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randi1978
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:31 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't understand how the laws can pretty much protect them.  Oh, their religion says no medical care, so the state really can't do anything to them?  Their rights to their religion stop cold and dead when it interferes with anothers health and life, and this includes their children.

PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Any crazy person can have children.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)