Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

2nd Child of Pa. Couple Dies After Only Praying

PHILADELPHIA April 23, 2013 (AP)

A Philadelphia couple - serving 10 years' probation for the 2009 death of their toddler after they turned to prayer instead of a doctor - has violated their probation now that another of their children has died.

Herbert and Catherine Schaible belong to a fundamentalist Christian church that believes in faith-healing

Philadelphia Judge Benjamin Lerner said at a hearing they violated the most important condition of their probation: to seek medical care for their remaining children.

Authorities have yet to file criminal charges in the death of the 8-month-old boy last week, after he suffered with diarrhea and breathing problems for days. But charges could be filed once authorities pinpoint how the baby died.

The couple is on probation after pleading guilty to involuntary manslaughter in 2011 in the death of their 2-year-old son, Kent, from pneumonia.

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Replies (31-40):
heresjohnny
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM

What laws protect them? In my experience, there isn't a single law out there that would allow the death of a child for the sake of religious freedom. Even Jehovah's Witnesses have no say if their minor child is bleeding to death. The hospital will step in and give a blood transfusion, and the family would have no legal recourse. The only time those lines are blurred is if it's an older child (mid-to late teens) and they personally tell the doctors they refuse medical treatment. All those consent forms the hospital makes you sign, those are only there as a formality. If your child is dying, they will ignore you and do what they can to save them. Doctors aren't legally allowed to sit back and watch the preventable death of a child, even if the parents are against treatment.

Quoting randi1978:

I don't understand how the laws can pretty much protect them.  Oh, their religion says no medical care, so the state really can't do anything to them?  Their rights to their religion stop cold and dead when it interferes with anothers health and life, and this includes their children.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

laws do not protect these idiots.

linnyleo
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I complete understand limited medical intervention based on faith.  (Blood transfusions, CPR, life support, immunizations, etc) But nobody, regardless of religion, should be dying of diarrhea!  This is absurd and these parents need to be thrown in jail and have their parental rights severed from any remaining children.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Take the rest of their kids away! Holy hell and throw them in jail. 

Choose the faith healing for yourself.. but PLEASE, let your children see the doctor... 

smurfbitebug
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Bump
lazycervix
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:52 PM

This makes me so mad! These poor children were murdered because their parents didn't want to take them to the doctor for antibiodics or extra fluid support. This is the 21st centry folks and these things need to stop. If a grown adult doesn't want treatment that is one thing but to deny a living breathing child life saving medication is wrong an against god in everyway. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Wow...I believe God heals too...but He often heals through doctors.  If my kids are sick we certainly pray...but on the way to the doctor. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM
I am curious as to the name of the church. I live in Philly and this story shocks me a little. They should be in jail
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM
I take that back... I know the area and i am not that shocked.
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM

What do these people think will happen if they use modern medicine? Hell? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)