Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Forcing Children to Believe in Religion is 'Child Abuse'

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 268 Replies

Richard Dawkins Says Forcing Children to Believe in Religion is 'Child Abuse'

article image
By Michael Allen, Mon, April 22, 2013

While speaking about his new book 'The Magic of Reality' at the Chipping Norton Literary Festival in the UK, outspoken atheist and evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins said that parents who force children to believe in religion are guilty of "child abuse."

"What a child should never be taught is that you are a Catholic or Muslim child, therefore that is what you believe. That's child abuse," said Dawkins on Sunday, reports the Daily Mail.

"There is a value in teaching children about religion. You cannot really appreciate a lot of literature without knowing about religion. But we must not indoctrinate our children," Dawkins added.

Last year, Dawkins said that being raised Catholic was similar to sexual abuse.

Dawkins told Al Jazeera of a woman who had been sexually abused by a priest and was told by a Protestant friend that she was going to Hell.

"She told me of those two abuses, she got over the physical abuse. It was yucky but she got over it," Dawkins said. "But the mental abuse of being told about Hell, she took years to get over."

Sources: Daily Mail

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM
10 moms liked this

Growing up I knew a lot of kids who were disturbed by the religious teaching that God is everywhere and sees you all the time.  

I don't know that teaching religion per se is child abuse, but certainly there are a lot of disturbing tenets of religion that may be difficult for kids to handle.  And....I think teaching that we already have all the answers makes for kids less likely to be knowledge explorers.

randi1978
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM
18 moms liked this

Part of me agrees with him.

I don't believe a parent has the right to force their beliefs onto their children.  Teach them about it, yes.  Maybe take some of the base morals and utilize them in their upbringing, but not "we're this, so you're that too and you have to worship as we worship". 

But what do I know?  I'm just an atheist heathen liberal who has a christian for a daughter, LOL.

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM
7 moms liked this

Um no.Why does he feel the need to take parental rights away? He says he had a bad experience as a child..boo hoo many of us have.

PinkParadox
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Brainwashing at it's finest
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Generica
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM

*facepalm*

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM

The key word being "forcing".

Forcing almost anything can be abusive.

For example!

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

My nieces are a prime example of this. They are 16 and 11 years old, their dad is a preacher, and they are forced to write their own sermon 2x a month and preach it among the congregation. They are told to pray for people at their school they may be gay. They are very judgmental and never happy. They are made to pray 3x a day and not allowed to wear their hair down or wear makeup. Its like the little house on the prairie meets Carrie.

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
i agree to a point. I taught my kids to learn about as many beliefs as they could. It worked best for us and no panic attacks for my kids cause they never thought they were going to hell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tnmomofive:

Um no.Why does he feel the need to take parental rights away? He says he had a bad experience as a child..boo hoo many of us have.

Where does he say he had a bad experience as a child?

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Last year, Dawkins said that being raised Catholic was similar to sexual abuse.

Im assuming hes speaking of himself here with the above quote

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured