Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Catherine, Herbert Schaible's Second Child Dies After Parents Use Prayer, No Medicine

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 7 Replies

Catherine, Herbert Schaible's Second Child Dies After Parents Use Prayer, No Medicine

Catherine Herbert Schaible
Catherine and Herbert Schaible

PHILADELPHIA - A Philadelphia couple - serving 10 years' probation for the 2009 death of their toddler after they turned to prayer instead of a doctor - has violated their probation now that another of their children has died.

Herbert and Catherine Schaible belong to a fundamentalist Christian church that believes in faith-healing

Philadelphia Judge Benjamin Lerner said at a hearing they violated the most important condition of their probation: to seek medical care for their remaining children.

Authorities have yet to file criminal charges in the death of the 8-month-old boy last week, after he suffered with diarrhea and breathing problems for days. But charges could be filed once authorities pinpoint how the baby died.

The couple is on probation after pleading guilty to involuntary manslaughter in 2011 in the death of their 2-year-old son, Kent, from pneumonia.

Philadelphia Judge Benjamin Lerner said at a hearing they violated the most important condition of their probation: to seek medical care for their remaining children.

Authorities have yet to file criminal charges in the death of the 8-month-old boy last week, after he suffered with diarrhea and breathing problems for days. But charges could be filed once authorities pinpoint how the baby died.

The couple is on probation after pleading guilty to involuntary manslaughter in 2011 in the death of their 2-year-old son, Kent, from pneumonia.

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM

They should be jailed and not allowed to ever have more children - harsh I know but that is my opinion

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I agree.

Quoting mikiemom:

They should be jailed and not allowed to ever have more children - harsh I know but that is my opinion

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I have no words. This is a situation where I might consider forced sterilization. Those poor babies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Me too.

Quoting Sisteract:

I agree.

Quoting mikiemom:

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Mohels sucking babies' penises, infecting them w/ HPV...

"faith" healing aka medical neglect/suffering/death of "Christian" children...

suffer the little children

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM
2 moms liked this

criminal neglect

GLWerth
by Gina on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this

"Involuntary manslaughter". Um, seeing that your child is dying and refusing to get medical attention is in no way "involuntary".

These people should, at very, very least be serving the sentence they were on probation for.

And they should not be allowed to have children in their home. Ever, since they have shown that they cannot adequately care for them.

(Edited for superfluous "w")

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured