Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think there's a connection between Boston Bombing Suspect Tsarnaev's age and his crime?

Posted by   + Show Post

19-Year-Old Bombing Suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Is Just a Kid & His Brain Proves It (VIDEO)

by Jacqueline Burt

Dzhokhar TsarnaevHas anyone else noticed that more and more acts of horrific violence are being committed by especially young men? Boston Marathon bomb suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is 19 years old. Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooter Adam Lanza was 20 years old. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, better known as the "Columbine killers," were 18. John Allen Muhammad, accomplice to the Beltway Sniper, was 17 when he helped to murder 10 people. At 24, Aurora Theater suspect James Eagan Holmes was slightly older at the time of his shooting, but still under 25 years of age -- the point at which the human brain is fully developed (a fact scientists only recently discovered).

Of course we can't blame crimes of this magnitude solely on the teenage brain, but the connection is too obvious to be ignored. What are we missing here? Not just as a society, but as parents?

According to Dr. Igor Galynker, director of the Family Center for Bipolar in the psychiatry department at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City, it's a combination of factors that can lead to disaster. Attachment issues and insecurity make the immature brain especially vulnerable to influence, which is why, Galynker explains, "Very often, these are pairs of perpetrators, one dominant figure who has psychopathic tendencies and the other a dependent figure."

Dzhokhar and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan certainly seem to fit this profile. Tamerlan is being painted as a strong-willed, influential religious extremist; Dzhokhar a laid-back college student with a reputation for smoking pot and hanging out. Even the suspects' mother says Tamerlan had a huge influence on Dzhokhar:

"They loved each other. What Tamerlan was said was law for Dzhokhar. That's how I raised them. What the elder brother says, the younger brother has to do. That is according to Islam."

Again, obviously we can't excuse these criminals because of their age and the company they chose to keep, but maybe going forward, we can start to pay a little bit more attention to troubled teenage boys. Again, not that they're ALL going to turn violent. But it can't hurt.

Do you think there's a connection between Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's age and his crime?

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:35 PM

this isn't about justification and it's not just about terrorism.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
You know what I find funny is reading in one thread how the drinking (and sometimes voting) age should be raised because the brain isn't fully developed until 25ish, but then in another thread I read how 'he knew what he was doing!' at 18, 19, 20.

At any rate, I think it's stupid to ignore the possibility age being a factor, or to ignore what can be learned in order to help prevent another such incident.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM
It doesn't prevent further attacks, if behavioral science could prevent them the FBI would have become pro active rather than reactive on serial crimes yrs ago. These types of crimes are no different as far as preventing.

Quoting autodidact:was the Milgram experiment sick? I think it's worthwhile examining what goes through the minds of those who do these things, it could help prevent further attacks.
Quoting tooptimistic:More than a little sick of trying to find a justification for the actions of a terrorist.I think he knew what he was doing when he placed a bomb in a backpack next to an eight year old.  Dzhokhar did that, not anyone else.  He decided to that.He wasn't mentally ill.  He went to a party after the attack.  There is NO JUSTIFICATION.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

How would blaming this on his age, prevent future terrorist attacks exactly.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

You know what I find funny is reading in one thread how the drinking (and sometimes voting) age should be raised because the brain isn't fully developed until 25ish, but then in another thread I read how 'he knew what he was doing!' at 18, 19, 20.

At any rate, I think it's stupid to ignore the possibility age being a factor, or to ignore what can be learned in order to help prevent another such incident.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM
How do you think they got that well defined picture of a terrorist? By studying them. And do you not think that terrorists are evolving as the 'typical' terrorist is being caught before doing harm?

Quoting lokilover:

Quoting autodidact:

eye rolling

Quoting tooptimistic:

I don't think it will prevent a thing. I think it is glorifying terrorism. 

Quoting autodidact:

was the Milgram experiment sick? 

I think it's worthwhile examining what goes through the minds of those who do these things, it could help prevent further attacks.

Quoting tooptimistic:

More than a little sick of trying to find a justification for the actions of a terrorist.

I think he knew what he was doing when he placed a bomb in a backpack next to an eight year old.  Dzhokhar did that, not anyone else.  He decided to that.

He wasn't mentally ill.  He went to a party after the attack.  There is NO JUSTIFICATION.

I completely agree with her. We already have tons of psychological research on terrorism and a well defined profile of what a terrorist looks like. This is not a new area of study, and there's already been a lot of work done on it. My impression is that the people who say, "We need to examine him and learn why he did this so we can prevent it in the future.", are just not well-read on the subject. I don't think there's anything substantial that we can learn from Dzhokhar. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:48 PM
2 moms liked this

If these two would have profiled or singled out or labled at potential terrorist, the left would have cried profiling and discrimination.

The FBI did look into the older brother.

Quoting Carpy:

It doesn't prevent further attacks, if behavior science could prevent them the FBI would have become pro active rather than reactive on serial crimes yes ago. These types of crimes are no different as far as preventing.

Quoting autodidact:

I think it's worthwhile examining what goes through the minds of those who do these things, it could help prevent further attacks.

Quoting tooptimistic:

More than a little sick of trying to find a justification for the actions of a terrorist.

I think he knew what he was doing when he placed a bomb in a backpack next to an eight year old.  Dzhokhar did that, not anyone else.  He decided to that.

He wasn't mentally ill.  He went to a party after the attack.  There is NO JUSTIFICATION.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
ell put! I agree! I'm getting really tired after a crime is committed, the issue of Mental Illness. It's like people think a person has to be mentally ill to commit such horrific acts. Or that fact that a person may of been abused as a child, neglected, didn't have a mother or father, etc. etc. etc. Although, I do agree that one needs to look into this, but the fact is the facts. This person killed another person or many people. I feel they should be locked away for the rest of their life & NEVER get out. I also, believe some should get the death penalty. I would say a 2 yr. old for example, yes doesn't know what they did. Perhaps, even older than 2. But, by the time one is old enough to know what a gun, knife, bomb, (whatever), does to another human being, they should pay for what they did. Sad fact in some younger people that commit crimes, but oh well. Do the crime, pay the price.
Quoting tooptimistic:

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

There is nothing wrong with that kids brain. He wanted to do what he did and that is all.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

No these two were as far from the profile of being a terriost as every other normal college kid is. Everyone who knew them never saw this coming.

Quoting tooptimistic:

If these two would have profiled or singled out or labled at potential terrorist, the left would have cried profiling and discrimination.

The FBI did look into the older brother.

Quoting Carpy:

It doesn't prevent further attacks, if behavior science could prevent them the FBI would have become pro active rather than reactive on serial crimes yes ago. These types of crimes are no different as far as preventing.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

For the first time I agree with some people are just bad and we need accept that. People need to stop looking for an excuse for these horrific acts. Adam Lanza was crazy yes, but James Holmes was not. I would even go as far as saying what he did was a terrisom. He planned out everything months in advance just like the brothers. Anyway like I said some people are just rotten.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

ell put! I agree! I'm getting really tired after a crime is committed, the issue of Mental Illness. It's like people think a person has to be mentally ill to commit such horrific acts. Or that fact that a person may of been abused as a child, neglected, didn't have a mother or father, etc. etc. etc. Although, I do agree that one needs to look into this, but the fact is the facts. This person killed another person or many people. I feel they should be locked away for the rest of their life & NEVER get out. I also, believe some should get the death penalty. I would say a 2 yr. old for example, yes doesn't know what they did. Perhaps, even older than 2. But, by the time one is old enough to know what a gun, knife, bomb, (whatever), does to another human being, they should pay for what they did. Sad fact in some younger people that commit crimes, but oh well. Do the crime, pay the price.
Quoting tooptimistic:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN