Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think there's a connection between Boston Bombing Suspect Tsarnaev's age and his crime?

Posted by   + Show Post

19-Year-Old Bombing Suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Is Just a Kid & His Brain Proves It (VIDEO)

by Jacqueline Burt

Dzhokhar TsarnaevHas anyone else noticed that more and more acts of horrific violence are being committed by especially young men? Boston Marathon bomb suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is 19 years old. Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooter Adam Lanza was 20 years old. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, better known as the "Columbine killers," were 18. John Allen Muhammad, accomplice to the Beltway Sniper, was 17 when he helped to murder 10 people. At 24, Aurora Theater suspect James Eagan Holmes was slightly older at the time of his shooting, but still under 25 years of age -- the point at which the human brain is fully developed (a fact scientists only recently discovered).

Of course we can't blame crimes of this magnitude solely on the teenage brain, but the connection is too obvious to be ignored. What are we missing here? Not just as a society, but as parents?

According to Dr. Igor Galynker, director of the Family Center for Bipolar in the psychiatry department at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City, it's a combination of factors that can lead to disaster. Attachment issues and insecurity make the immature brain especially vulnerable to influence, which is why, Galynker explains, "Very often, these are pairs of perpetrators, one dominant figure who has psychopathic tendencies and the other a dependent figure."

Dzhokhar and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan certainly seem to fit this profile. Tamerlan is being painted as a strong-willed, influential religious extremist; Dzhokhar a laid-back college student with a reputation for smoking pot and hanging out. Even the suspects' mother says Tamerlan had a huge influence on Dzhokhar:

"They loved each other. What Tamerlan was said was law for Dzhokhar. That's how I raised them. What the elder brother says, the younger brother has to do. That is according to Islam."

Again, obviously we can't excuse these criminals because of their age and the company they chose to keep, but maybe going forward, we can start to pay a little bit more attention to troubled teenage boys. Again, not that they're ALL going to turn violent. But it can't hurt.

Do you think there's a connection between Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's age and his crime?

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
.jillybean.
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Link

Zubeidat K. Tsarnaeva, the Boston bombing suspect's mother, thinks this whole thing is a set up. 

Business Insider says: Tsarnaeva said that Tamerlan Tsarnaev got involved in "religious politics" five years ago, and that the FBI had previously contacted her about her son's activities. 

She says:

"He was controlled by the FBI, like for three, five years," she said. "They knew what my son was doing, they knew what actions and what sites on the Internet he was going [to], they used to come...and talk to me...they were telling me that he was really a serious leader and they were afraid of him." 

"How could this happen?...They were controlling every step of him, and they are telling today that this is a terrorist attack," she added. 

Further she says:

"FBI, they were scared of my oldest son, they always told me that he's a leader...they are afraid of him because, you know, he is a leader, he talks about Islam a lot." 

"They were talking to my son, and they called me officially and they told me that my son is an excellent boy and they have no problem with him," she added. "At the same time, they were telling me that...he is getting information on really extremists...sites, so they were very, very afraid of him. So that's why I think that this is a setup." 

Busines Insider further says: "Tamerlan, 26, died Thursday night in a shootout with Boston Police. A manhunt is still underway for Tsarnaeva's younger son, Dzhoker, 19."

GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Surely something to think about....Maybe there should be more support groups for our young men...but would they even take part in such a thing?  Could we require it in highschool and on through college? Would it do any good. I just don't know...

GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Whole thing a set up....?    Why?

lokilover
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Quoting .jillybean.:

Link

Zubeidat K. Tsarnaeva, the Boston bombing suspect's mother, thinks this whole thing is a set up. 

Business Insider says: Tsarnaeva said that Tamerlan Tsarnaev got involved in "religious politics" five years ago, and that the FBI had previously contacted her about her son's activities. 

She says:

"He was controlled by the FBI, like for three, five years," she said. "They knew what my son was doing, they knew what actions and what sites on the Internet he was going [to], they used to come...and talk to me...they were telling me that he was really a serious leader and they were afraid of him." 

"How could this happen?...They were controlling every step of him, and they are telling today that this is a terrorist attack," she added. 

Further she says:

"FBI, they were scared of my oldest son, they always told me that he's a leader...they are afraid of him because, you know, he is a leader, he talks about Islam a lot." 

"They were talking to my son, and they called me officially and they told me that my son is an excellent boy and they have no problem with him," she added. "At the same time, they were telling me that...he is getting information on really extremists...sites, so they were very, very afraid of him. So that's why I think that this is a setup." 

Busines Insider further says: "Tamerlan, 26, died Thursday night in a shootout with Boston Police. A manhunt is still underway for Tsarnaeva's younger son, Dzhoker, 19."

I'm really no going to take the dustraught testimony of a mother serriously inregards to her son's criminal activities. 

heresjohnny
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:11 PM

You know, I think this article is absolutely right. When I was young I was highly influenced. I did a CRAP TON of stupid things that could have been blamed on my adolescent brain and a few bad-influence friends. Cigarettes, alcohol, weed, vandalism, theft, etc. There isn't a doubt in my mind I wouldn't have done half of those things if I had a different group of friends. But even my under-developed brain would have ran the other direction the second shit got serious. I would NOT make a bomb and set it off in the middle of a crowd, and I would NOT take a gun and start shooting random people. There is a HUGE difference between typical adolescent anarchy and rebellion...and murder. That's something that absolutely no amount of peer pressure could have ever talked me into doing.

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Do you think any distraught mother would want to believe her children did this?

Quoting .jillybean.:

Link

Mommy2Taz4eva
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM

yes. I think the most volatile time period for a young man is from the ages of 16-30. I don't know if it's a brain thing or a hormone thing. HOWEVER, that is NO EXCUSE for such hideously, tyrannical violent actions. I'm no doctor, but given my own experience with two sons, two brothers, two BILs, and three father figures, and lots of male cousins,  I have often wondered the same thing that these physicians are claiming. While I'm not comparing my family to those lunatics, I have noticed a pattern of difficulty with young men and judgement in the late teens and twenties as well as difficulty adjusting to the hormonal changes occurring in the body.
Bar brawls, gun obsession, strip clubs, alcohol and drug abuse, and womanizing is absolutely nothing compared to those violent monsters, but it is apparent that some or even alot of men don't start to really control their impulsive behavior until right around 30. I have often said, and I know it's no joking matter,but sometimes I think I mean it,  that I would like to put my sons in a protective bubble from the ages of 16 to 30 so that they can ride out the testosterone wave. going crazyor at least so I can make it through their teens and twenties.

Imacakebaker
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:06 PM

No it wasn't his age.  How stupid.  Come on, it was his RELIGION..

Imacakebaker
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

She's a radical hateful Muslim herself.  She was probably in on it.

Quoting .jillybean.:

Link

She says:

Further she says:

anchorgurl
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Agree with this.  There is nothing that can justify the actions of a terrorist. The kid has a driver's license, is old enough to vote, goes to college--and college parties after killing/maiming people--he rationalizes and makes his own decisions.  This is a weak attempt by some misguided soul at using Erickson's psychosocial development theory; there was a recent study that indicated millennials are not showing signs of "young adulthood," according to Erickson, until age 26.  In years past, 18 was considered to be the age at which one reached the stage of young adulthood.

Erick Erickson is rolling over in his grave at the thought of someone using his work as a justification for a terrorist.

Quoting tooptimistic:

More than a little sick of trying to find a justification for the actions of a terrorist.

I think he knew what he was doing when he placed a bomb in a backpack next to an eight year old.  Dzhokhar did that, not anyone else.  He decided to that.

He wasn't mentally ill.  He went to a party after the attack.  There is NO JUSTIFICATION.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN