Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

AP Twitter feed hacked -- no attack at White House

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 5 Replies

People are jumpy these days

Social media and the stock market went wild, briefly, when this (hacked) Associated Press tweet appeared around 1 p.m.: "Breaking: Two Explosions in the White House and Barack Obama is injured."

The AP took down its account and quickly announced it had been hacked.

Rest assure, there's been no attack on the White House -- and aide say President Obama is busy at work.

"The president is fine," said spokesman Jay Carney. "I was just with him."

The Dow Jones industrial average plunged more than 128 points in seconds after the report. And it recovered just as quickly when the report was found to be false.

A statement from the wire service: "The AP twitter account has been hacked. A tweet about an attack at the White House is false. We will advise on acct. status."

A few minutes ago the Standard & Poor’s 500 plunged, apparently because of a fake report on the Associated Press’ main Twitter feed of explosions at the White House. Here’s what the chart looks like:

AP Entertainment ‏@APEntertainmentThe main AP Twitter feed is currently suspended, with another of the news service’s feeds, @APEntertainment relaying news of the hack:

The official @AP account has been hacked! No explosions at the White House, Barack Obama not injured.

So nothing doing, other than some idiot hackers causing alarm; the S&P is up 1% at the latest. I’ll have more updates soon as I get them.

http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2013/04/23/aps-twitter-feed-hacked-did-markets-just-panic/

Originial message was :

Breaking: Two explosions at White House and Barack Obama is injured. 

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM

BUMP!

lokilover
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's funny.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Lmfao
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

YIKES!

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Quoting lokilover:

I think it's funny.

What part do you find funny? That someone said the president was hurt? The affect it had the market? The fact major companies can so easily be hacked? 

ETA: Not being sarcastic or snarky. Just honestly curious. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)