Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll: Should people have to apply for gov't loans instead of receiving welfare?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM
  • 167 Replies

Poll

Question: Should people have to apply for gov't loans instead of receiving welfare?

Options:

Yes

No

It's worth exploring.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 98

View Results

The program would follow the same eligibility guidelines as welfare currently has, so every person could potentially receive bigger monthly or weekly payments because it's a loan.  Maximum limits of years and amounts of loans would apply, similar to federal student loans.  Payments on the loan would be required after 1 or 2 years, starting with small graduated payments that increase over time.  This is just a sample scenario of the terms.

Would this encourage more responsibility?

Would this make a big dent in our nation's deficit?

What are the pros and cons?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM
2 moms liked this
Not a bad idea.
Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM
2 moms liked this
No I don't agree. Just because they are teens doesn't mean they should get different treatment. On top of that when you have things like school loans at least a lot of them you usually can't get a house or car. I think it would make them struggle more and give them less of a chance to go to college.
honey27
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this
The loan wouldnt get paid and then they will be in a worse situation having to get on aid anyways.
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this
So you guys are saying most teen moms are deadbeats on the system their whole lives?
mommy2boys03
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Why do this to teen moms.  It will set them up to fail in the long run.  If someone implement this then it should be done on adults that have the ability to work.  That would make more sense.

krysstizzle
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM
6 moms liked this
I don't think starting a teen mother out with loads of debt is a good idea at all.

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM
4 moms liked this

Who would service said "loan"?

Would you change the laws that now make it prohibitive for a person under the age of 18 to enter into a contract?

How would a 13, 14 or 15 y/o begin to repay this "loan" within 1 to 2 years?

Why is your target teen "moms"?  What about the fathers?

lga1965
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this
The answer,of course, is DON'T have sex and get pregnant when you are a teen with no assets. Teens have nothing so they are dependent on others. NOT a good start for a baby. It's incredibly selfish. This kind of discussion makes me crazy....it's nuts to glorify having a baby .
Adoption is a good choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM
4 moms liked this

Why should teenage mothers be treated differently than other mothers?

I don't understand.

If you have a baby at 16 you should get aid in the form of a loan you haev to repay, but if you're 20 and do the same thing you get aid without expecting payback?

thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this
As long as we are educating the teens. I actually think education should be a requirement for federal aid. Give people a chance to become taxpayers. Those who want a future will succeed. The real " lazy moochers" won't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN