Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How much do you know about religion?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM
  • 23 Replies

How much do you know about religion?

And how do you compare with the average American? Here's your chance to find out.

Take our short, 15-question quiz, and see how you do in comparison with 3,412 randomly sampled adults who were asked these and other questions in the U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey. This national poll was conducted by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life from May 19 through June 6, 2010*, on landlines and cell phones, in English and Spanish.

When you finish the quiz, you will be able to compare your knowledge of religion with participants in the national telephone poll. You can see how you compare with the overall population as well as with people of various religious traditions, people who attend worship services frequently or less often, men and women, and college graduates as well as those who did not attend college.

For a full analysis of the findings of the U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey, read the full report.

Take the Quiz

Your responses on the quiz do NOT affect the U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey's results.

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM

You answered 13 out of 15 questions correctly
for a score of 87%.

Here's how you did on these 15 questions (excerpted from the larger U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey) compared with a nationally representative sample of 3,412 adults. Read the Full Report

Your responses on the quiz do NOT affect the U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey's results.

JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:05 AM

13/15 here.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:08 AM

12/15

AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:11 AM

15/15
TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I did okay...

You answered 12 out of 15 questions correctly
for a score of 80%.

Question Your Response Correct Answer % of survey respondents answering correctly
1. Which Bible figure is most closely associated with leading the exodus from Egypt? correct Answer Moses Moses 72%
2. What was Mother Teresa's religion? correct Answer Catholic Catholic 82
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the Ten Commandments? correct Answer Do unto others as you would have them do unto you Do unto others as you would have them do unto you 55
4. When does the Jewish Sabbath begin? correct Answer Friday Friday 45
5. Is Ramadan…? correct Answer The Islamic holy month The Islamic holy month 52
6. Which of the following best describes the Catholic teaching about the bread and wine used for Communion? correct Answer The bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Jesus Christ. The bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Jesus Christ. 40
7. In which religion are Vishnu and Shiva central figures? wrong Answer Islam Hinduism 38
8. Which Bible figure is most closely associated with remaining obedient to God despite suffering? correct Answer Job Job 39
9. What was Joseph Smith's religion? correct Answer Mormon Mormon 51
10. According to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to lead a class in prayer, or not? correct Answer No, not permitted No, not permitted 89
11. According to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to read from the Bible as an example of literature, or not? wrong Answer No, not permitted Yes, permitted 23
12. What religion do most people in Pakistan consider themselves? correct Answer Muslim Muslim 68
13. What was the name of the person whose writings and actions inspired the Protestant Reformation? correct Answer Martin Luther Martin Luther 46
14. Which of these religions aims at nirvana, the state of being free from suffering? correct Answer Buddhism Buddhism 36
15. Which one of these preachers participated in the period of religious activity known as the First Great Awakening? wrong Answer Charles Finney Jonathan Edwards
chloedee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:16 AM

13, missed Job (Abraham stuck out suffering too...) and Jonathan Edwards. 

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:16 AM
14/15
BellaByrdie
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:27 AM

They only one I missed was John Smith.  The rest I got.  So yeah please tell me how I must know nothing because my beliefs are a ittle tweaked.  

KristenFowles
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Mobile Photo

I'm an atheist, but I've taken a few different comparative religion courses that I found fascinating. Guess I held on to some random facts.
mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:18 AM
I got 14/15. I missed the last one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)