Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you even hear muslims when we condemn violence?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:10 AM
  • 129 Replies
10 moms liked this

Home » Huffington Post

Qasim Rashid: Do You Even Hear Muslims When We Condemn Violence?

images (8)

Do You Even Hear Muslims When We Condemn Violence?

It took 9,000 officers, five days, and roughly $1 billion in lost revenue for Boston, but suspect one is dead and suspect two is in custody.

So let me start with the standard roll call: As an American Muslim, I condemn all violence in the name of religion. Terrorism has no religion and Islam is no exception. If the Tsarnaev brothers are guilty of the Boston bombings, then I hope they are brought to justice.

Is that condemnation clear enough? Because I’m pretty sure a whole lot of people instead read blah blah blah blah blah.

Here’s the deal. It is a shame that we had to employ 9,000 officers, put our lives on hold for five days, and sacrifice $1 billion in Boston revenue to catch these culprits. It is a shame that Muslim women were assaulted in retaliation, and that’s even before we knew who the suspects were. And it is a shame I received threats of anti-Muslim violence and that even my non-Muslim but non-white friends called me, fearing for their safety.

And now the public lynching and double standards against Islam begin. Mental illness was the culprit during Newtown, Conn., Oak Creek, Wis., and Aurora, Colo. More than 70 percent of America’s 64 previous mass shooters were white American men. But not one pundit, nor any politician, nor any Muslim has ever asked why White Americans or Christian Americans are not aggressively condemning these acts of terror. After all, why ask such a ludicrous question? Anyone with a functioning cerebrum could comprehend that these terrorists represent only themselves.

But why do our brains shut down when the slightest indication exists that the culprit might maybe possibly be Muslim? No sooner did the Boston tragedy occur — and even before the slightest indication emerged regarding who perpetrated the attack — but I received dozens of emails and messages asking why “moderate Muslims” aren’t condemning the attack?

This was my initial reaction to such demands for condemnation.

Muslims condemned 9/11, we condemned 7/7, we condemned the Fort Hood tragedy, we condemned the underwear bomber, we condemned the Times Square bomber, and now yet again we find ourselves condemning the Boston Bombers on the mere suspicion that they were “motivated by Islam.”

And this is why I am unsure if people hear Muslims when Muslims declare — in response to every violent act or attempt at violence — that Islam condemns all forms of religious violence and terrorism. Because even after condemning the Boston bombers, I receive messages that the condemnation wasn’t “loud enough” or “clear enough” or passionate enough.” ” In other words, all they heard from me was blah blah blah blah blah.

And the fact is Muslims have gone far beyond mere condemnation but taken action. The Muslims for Life campaign has raised over 25,000 blood donations in the past two years to honor 9/11 victims. The #MyJihad campaign serves to demonstrate Jihad’s true meaning. The Muslims for Peace campaign champions true, peaceful Islam. I could go on but hopefully you get the picture.

America is not under threat from radical Islam, but it is under threat from radical ignorance. This ignorance is a far more powerful and far more destructive force than any act of terror. I speak having experienced the horrific after effects of such ignorance.

Some 40 years ago, Pakistan decided to succumb to such ignorance and direct its wrath against my peaceful and pluralistic Muslim sect — the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. What began as passive discrimination advanced to laws banning our freedom of expression and worship, to now open violence against all religious and belief minorities in Pakistan — Ahmadi Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Shiite Muslims, Baha’is, and atheists. Pakistan went from a relatively peaceful nation entirely alien to terrorist attacks, to one that suffers through 3,000 civilian deaths from terrorists annually and now devoid of religious freedom.

If Americans have any hope of winning the “war on terror,” it won’t come from demonizing American Muslims, or Islam in general. It will come from education through interfaith dialogues, joining together in service of humanity, and recognizing that we are all equal human beings in search of similar goals of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It will come from all Americans rejecting ignorance and uniting even stronger against extremism that tries to divide us.

The path of radical ignorance is a one way street; if we go down this path, don’t expect to come back so easily. As I said, I’ve tried reasoning with extremists in Pakistan to give up discrimination and favor tolerance.

But all they seem to hear is blah blah blah blah blah.

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Piskie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:16 AM
7 moms liked this
I love it...... It's a very true piece... Breaks my heart that it has to be written, can't people just accept that Muslims are like everyone else. Most are okay, some, like you, are awesome, and some are bastards. Every group had them. No one likes them.
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Thanks. 

This article pretty much sums up how I feel about it. 

In another post last night, another poster asked why muslims werent speaking out about this. 0_o

Quoting Piskie:

I love it...... It's a very true piece... Breaks my heart that it has to be written, can't people just accept that Muslims are like everyone else. Most are okay, some, like you, are awesome, and some are bastards. Every group had them. No one likes them.

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Crazy and extremist come in all shapes, sizes and religions.
Piskie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:23 AM
3 moms liked this
Because its easier on their tiny brains if they think all Muslims are the same.... Recognising that you're all human and should be treated as individuals instead of one homogenous group.... Well.... That'd mean thinking, or taking the initiative to learn.
You'd hope that people realise that the outliers are exactly that.... Not representative, not condoned, and nowhere near normal.

Quoting muslimahpj:

Thanks. 

In another post last night, another poster asked why muslims werent speaking out about this. 0_o

Quoting Piskie:

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it's much easier to be told what to think than to actually think for yourself. 

If they recognize we are humans too, then it would make it harder to accept the carnage that we are doing in other countries that are predominantly muslim.

Quoting Piskie:

Because its easier on their tiny brains if they think all Muslims are the same.... Recognising that you're all human and should be treated as individuals instead of one homogenous group.... Well.... That'd mean thinking, or taking the initiative to learn.
You'd hope that people realise that the outliers are exactly that.... Not representative, not condoned, and nowhere near normal.

Quoting muslimahpj:

Thanks. 

Quoting Piskie:

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Yes, we hear it :)

Sadly, they all have extremists.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I know some hear it, but, it seems like the majority doesnt. :/

Quoting Ziva65:

Yes, we hear it :)

Sadly, they all have extremists.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:15 AM
3 moms liked this
Quoting muslimahpj:

As an American Muslim, I condemn all violence in the name of religion.

I’m pretty sure a whole lot of people instead read blah blah blah blah blah.

I received dozens of emails and messages asking why “moderate Muslims” aren’t condemning the attack?

Muslims condemned 9/11, we condemned 7/7, we condemned the Fort Hood tragedy, we condemned the underwear bomber, we condemned the Times Square bomber, and now yet again we find ourselves condemning the Boston Bombers on the mere suspicion that they were “motivated by Islam.”

And this is why I am unsure if people hear Muslims when Muslims declare — in response to every violent act or attempt at violence — that Islam condemns all forms of religious violence and terrorism. Because even after condemning the Boston bombers, I receive messages that the condemnation wasn’t “loud enough” or “clear enough” or passionate enough.” ” In other words, all they heard from me was blah blah blah blah blah.

Part of the answer is chinese whispers.

Fred tells Mary: Islam condemns terrorism.  All true Muslims condemn terrorism.

Mary isn't sure Fred is 100% correct, because she has seen lots of pictures in the media of whole crowds of Muslims supporting terrorism, so when she talks to Jane, she is less emphatic:

Mary tells Jane: Many Muslims condemn terrorism

Jane tells Alice: Some Muslims condemn terrorism

Alice tells Ian: Most Muslims support terrorism, but there are some who don't

Ian tells Sue: Muslims support terrorism

Sue tells the world: All true Muslims support terrorism.

The problem is that people don't put numbers on these things, and understand the VALUE of putting numbers on them.

If Fred had told Mary: 97.5% of Muslims world wide, and 99.4% of Muslims in America condemn terrorism, and here's a link to the Pew survey that's the source of those numbers

the message might be a little less likely to degrade in transmission, because then it wouldn't just be personal authority, it would give the listener some actual basis to judge how much the other person is shading the truth.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting muslimahpj:

Some 40 years ago, Pakistan decided to succumb to such ignorance and direct its wrath against my peaceful and pluralistic Muslim sect — the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community.

I like them.   From their FAQ:

Q7: What is the punishment for apostasy in Islam? (Back to Top)

There is no punishment for apostasy in Islam.
In fact the Qur’an stresses kindness and tolerance in matters of faith, the perfect example being the verse of the Holy Qur’an:

There should be no compulsion in religion.

(Ch.2: V.257),

Islam stresses the freedom of religion, for example in Chapter 109 of the Holy Qur’an it states,

For you your religion, and for me my religion

Furthermore there is not a single example of any punishment for apostasy from the life of the Holy Prophet(saw).

The Qur’an states very clearly, that those who leave the Islamic faith and apostatise will be dealt with only by God Himself:

Those who believe, then disbelieve, then again believe, then disbelieve and then increase in disbelief, Allah will never forgive them nor will He guide them to the way
(Ch.4: V.138)  

Nowhere is any punishment prescribed in this life as religion is a personal matter between man and God. People are therefore free to believe in any religion and to change their beliefs without any punishment from man. They will, however, be accountable for their beliefs before God.

Q8: What is the punishment for blasphemy in Islam? (Back to Top)

There is no punishment in Islam for blasphemy. No such punishment is prescribed in the Holy Qur’an, or in any of the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad(saw). Islam promotes the need for respect of all religions for the sake of peace in society, but it does not set out any punishment for blasphemy despite the offence it may cause people of faith.

We have evidence in the traditions of the Holy Prophet(saw) where  Abdullah bin Ubayyee (Chief of the hypocrites) continuously abused the Prophet(saw), and opposed him severely in Madinah. 
When he passed away, the Prophet(saw) stood to offer his funeral prayers but was asked by one of his companions, “O Allah's Apostle! Do you offer the prayer for this man although he said so-and-so on such-and-such-a day?” and “that he is a hypocrite!”.
The Prophet(saw) ignored his statements and continued to offer the funeral prayers of the dead man. (Sahih Bukhari, Volume 6, Book 60, Number 192)

The above example shows that the Prophet(saw) never ordered any punishment for anyone who insulted or abused him or God; on the contrary he went to pray for them that they be guided aright. Much has been written on this subject, for further details, please see the book ‘Murder in the Name of Allah’.
If somebody uses foul language against any holy person or teaching, Islam advises to keep away from such people as The Holy Qur’an says,

And when you see those who trifle with our signs then turn thou away from them until then engage in a discourse other than that and if Satan cause thee to forget then sit not, after recollection, with the unjust people.

(Ch.6: V.69)

What percentage of Muslims, world wide, does that community make up?

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Great article!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured