Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Middle School Girls Forced to Ask Classmates for ‘Lesbian Kiss’ During Anti-Bullying Presentation

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:52 AM
  • 387 Replies

Imagine 13 and 14-year-old girls being instructed to ask one another for a lesbian kiss in a class exercise.  The girls had no choice. The parents were NOT informed. But hey, if it falls under “anti-bullying,” than who are you to question it, right?

Heather Clark over atreports this alarming development:

schoolRed Hook, New York – A recent anti-bullying presentation at a middle school in New York that focused on homosexuality and gender identity has angered parents after their daughters have come home to tell them they were forced to ask another girl for a kiss.

According to reports, the session occurred last week at Linden Avenue Middle School in Red Hook, New York, near Poughkeepsie. A group of students from Bard College led two workshops for the youth, separated by gender.

During the workshop for girls, the 13 and 14-year-olds were told to ask one another for a lesbian kiss. They were also taught words such as “pansexual” and “genderqueer.”

Parent Mandy Coon told reporters that her daughter was very uncomfortable with the exercise.

“She told me, ‘Mom, we all get teased and picked on enough; now I’m going to be called a lesbian because I had to ask another girl if I could kiss her,’” she lamented.

Coon stated that she was especially irate over the matter because parents were given no warning about the presentations, nor an opportunity to opt out. She is also dismayed that college students were granted the right to come into the classroom and encourage her daughter to be sexually active.

“I am furious,” she declared. “I am her parent. Where does anyone get the right to tell her that it’s okay for her to have sex?”

“The school is overstepping its bounds in not notifying parents first and giving us the choice,” another parent remarked. “I thought it was very inappropriate. That kind of instruction is best left up to the parents.”

According to reports, during the workshop for the adolescent boys, the students were counseled to keep a condom in their pocket at all times, and were taught how to identify a woman who is a “slut.”

“I was absolutely furious – really furious,” an anonymous parent told reporter Todd Starnes. “These are just kids. I’m dumbfounded that they found this class was appropriate.”

However, both the school principal and the district superintendent are defending the workshops, and are advising that they will schedule more. Superintendent Paul Finch told the Poughkeepsie Journal that the presentation was “focused on improving culture, relationships, communication and self-perceptions.”

“[We] may require more notification to parents” in the future, he said, contending that the sessions are required under the state Dignity for All Students Act, which prohibits harassment and bullying in the classroom.

He advised that Principal Katie Zahedi and guidance counselors at the school worked with the Bard students to plan the workshops. Zahedi asserts that the sessions were rather about saying no to unwanted advances as opposed to encouraging homosexual acts.

“In planning the discussion, we made it clear that absolutely no discussion of any sexual acts is appropriate to middle school, and they used the examples of a kiss,” she wrote in an online forum for parents. “It was a separate activity for boys and girls and ultimately about respect and safety.”

Mark Primoff, a spokesman for Bard College said that students had volunteered to give the presentation after Zehedi invited the institution of higher learning to participate in the workshops.

However, parents remain livid over the matter. A public meeting was held this week for residents to express their concerns.

It is not known whether girls actually had to kiss one another, or if the exercise stopped at the request.

source

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:09 AM
15 moms liked this

Somewhere in the not too distant past our school systems  decided that teaching morals to our children was better left to them than to us, the parents. I am 100% behind teaching kids not to bully but when they come home and tell me that they were visited by a very vocal group of homosexuals/lesbians who invited them (7th graders) to visit their offices and get literature about their sexual identity...it crossed a line.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:32 AM
3 moms liked this

I am so glad my kids are all done with this and my grandkids are being homeschooled.   I really feel for the parents that really want to homeschool but can't.   I hope they are being vigilant.

I do wonder about how many lines a school will cross before some parents wake up.

Quoting prommy:

Somewhere in the not too distant past our school systems  decided that teaching morals to our children was better left to them than to us, the parents. I am 100% behind teaching kids not to bully but when they come home and tell me that they were visited by a very vocal group of homosexuals/lesbians who invited them (7th graders) to visit their offices and get literature about their sexual identity...it crossed a line.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:47 AM
9 moms liked this

No different than when Chelmsford Massachusetts  hired Suzi Landolphi to give an AIDS awareness presentation to the entire school. The school had the hell sued out of them.  She had kids show their "orgasm face" on camera, had a male student come lick a condom on stage with her, she told one student that he had a nice ass, called another students baggy pants "erection wear" and the list can go on regarding how vulgar she was. The students were forced to be there, but her first statement was "I can't believe how many of you came here to listen to me talk about sex, rather than staying home and having it yourself".

And we wonder what is wrong with the younger generations.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:55 AM
5 moms liked this

and yet so many don't see a problem with any of this.

Quoting Carpy:

No different than when Chelmsford Massachusetts  hired Suzi Landolphi to give an AIDS awareness presentation to the entire school. The school had the hell sued out of them.  She had kids show their "orgasm face" on camera, had a male student come lick a condom on stage with her, she told one student that he had a nice ass, called another students baggy pants "erection wear" and the list can go on regarding how vulgar she was. The students were forced to be there, but her first statement was "I can't believe how many of you came here to listen to me talk about sex, rather than staying home and having it yourself".

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:56 AM
8 moms liked this

I think it's clear from how this is written that they weren't going for the kids to be kissed, but role playing what to do "if" a girl asks another girl to kiss her, so they can teach them how to be respectful of one another.  There would be no reason to have them actually kiss each other.  

Having said that, I get why this would make middle school kids uncomfortable and I don't think this was the best way to do this lesson. 

dballa
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM
9 moms liked this

This article is from Christian News?  Is there another article from a neutral site? 

lga1965
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:10 AM
4 moms liked this
Eeeeeeek !
That's too much for me to handle ! Kids don't need that in crap in school. Heck,when I was growing up, I didn't even know there was oral sex until I was a college sophomore and a friend explained it to me. Kids were still kids, not miniature adults. My goodness......
All they need is information about reproduction,sex,birth control condoms to prevent STD's and morals.

Quoting Carpy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM
9 moms liked this

I can not form an opinion based on the source of the article. But based on what I have read it is being blown out of proportion and I am not surprised

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

What is a "lesbian kiss" anyway?  Is that just a kiss between two girls or some special type of kiss?

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

This has no place in the classroom at all

Quoting lga1965:

Eeeeeeek !
That's too much for me to handle ! Kids don't need that in crap in school. Heck,when I was growing up, I didn't even know there was oral sex until I was a college sophomore and a friend explained it to me. Kids were still kids, not miniature adults. My goodness......
All they need is information about reproduction,sex,birth control condoms to prevent STD's and morals.

Quoting Carpy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN