Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Troops Ordered to Scrape Bible References Off Weapon Scopes

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

Alaskan Army Troops Ordered to Scrape Bible References Off Weapon Scopes

article image
By Dabney Bailey, Tue, April 23, 2013

The US Army has ordered troops in Fort Wainwright, Alaska to completely remove Bible verses from their weapon scopes.

The official order reads, "In accordance with included instructions remove the biblical reference from the indicated area of the M150RCO/ACOG. This biblical reference will include, but not be limited to JN8:12 and 2COR4:6."

These two engravings refer to John 8:12 and Second Corinthians 4:6. The two verses respectively read, "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" and "For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,' made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God's glory displayed in the face of Christ."

The Michigan-based company Trijicon manufactures the scopes as part of a $660 million contract with the US government. Future contracts might be in jeopardy following the stunt - Army spokesman Matthew Bourke stated that the inscriptions were added "without the Army's approval. Consequently, the modified scopes did not meet the requirement under which the contract was executed."

The Army ordered military personnel to file off the inscriptions and cover the area in black paint. The order has provoked a mixed response. One Christian soldier told Fox News, "It blows my mind. It doesn't help the Army do its mission to take off a biblical reference."

On the other side of the fence, supporters of the order argue that the verses could incite Muslim terrorists who are fighting back against a perceived holy war. That is a concern many Americans share following the Boston bombings, which may have been religiously motivated. Indeed, the verses are in direct opposition to Army policy. General Order No. 1 strictly prohibits Department of Defense personnel from proselytizing while in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and other Middle Eastern companies.

This isn't the first time that Trijicon stirred up controversy. They made headlines back in 2010 by supplying scopes with biblical references to the Marine Corps and Army.

Sources: Fox News

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM

How sad.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM
3 moms liked this

If the Muslim terrorists are that close to the gun to see it....I'm pretty sure they won't. Dead men don't see.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I'd engrave the part that says "And they shall beat their swords into plowshares" 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I thought Christianity was a 'peaceful' religion but then the followers go and put bible verses on GUNS?

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Also, this never should have been engraved on the weapons in the first place. What the hell?

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I have yet to understand why the company wasn't required to replace those scopes.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM
That's my question, too. Well, unless the military ordered them that way to begin with.

Quoting Della529:

I have yet to understand why the company wasn't required to replace those scopes.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Well, ya know, extra security and protection is needed when shooting an enemy in the face.

Quoting IhartU:

I thought Christianity was a 'peaceful' religion but then the followers go and put bible verses on GUNS?

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Thank goodness but they also need to terminate the contract with the manufacturer and fire the employees responsible for the purchase.

We are not a Christian nation and it is unsafe and unsound to issue military weapons with biblical references. We can not afford to be involved in any more religious wars.

motherslove82
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I think the company should fix it. They never should have done it without approval. I think if some soldiers want to keep it, they should be allowed to, but for the ones who don't, the company should fix it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN