Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

American Slaves Today --all legal and everything

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 160 Replies

Poll

Question: Did you know about the extent of the manufacturing done by prisoners in the US?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 60

View Results

I just found out about this today.

I am speechless.

Prisoners earning 23 cents an hour in U.S. federal prisons are manufacturing high-tech electronic components for Patriot Advanced Capability 3 missiles, launchers for TOW (Tube-launched, Optically tracked, Wire-guided) anti-tank missiles, and other guided missile systems. A March article by journalist and financial researcher Justin Rohrlich of World in Review is worth a closer look at the full implications of this ominous development. (minyanville.com)

The expanding use of prison industries, which pay slave wages, as a way to increase profits for giant military corporations, is a frontal attack on the rights of all workers.

Read more

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM
8 moms liked this

I honestly didn't know the extent of it. 

I have serious issues with prisoners providing labor for private corporations. I find it a foul, disgusting practice. 

Prisoners should, however, do community service-type labor, or something that generally benefits a community at large. For example, help in maintaining community gardens or other urban ag ventures, keeping public spaces clean, etc. I'd rather it involve something that is both providing a service to the community and giving prisoners a sense of pride/responsibility in contributing to their homes and communities, perhaps even giving them skills to carry them forward. 

romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm all for it. If they could work 24/7 with nothing but bread and water, I'd be all for it. Save the taxpayer money, after all we have to pay for them to be in prison, so I don't think this is unfair or cruel

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM
4 moms liked this

Interesting direction to take this...

... I was thinking more of 'undercutting wages in many industries, and enabling unfair competition'...

Quoting romanceparty4u:

I'm all for it. If they could work 24/7 with nothing but bread and water, I'd be all for it. Save the taxpayer money, after all we have to pay for them to be in prison, so I don't think this is unfair or cruel

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM
2 moms liked this

We have prison farms here, in some places: enabling prisoners to grow their own food, which I think is completely appropriate.

Quoting krysstizzle:

I have serious issues with prisoners providing labor for private corporations. I find it a foul, disgusting practice. 

Prisoners should, however, do community service-type labor, or something that generally benefits a community at large. For example, help in maintaining community gardens or other urban ag ventures, keeping public spaces clean, etc. I'd rather it involve something that is both providing a service to the community and giving prisoners a sense of pride/responsibility in contributing to their homes and communities, perhaps even giving them skills to carry them forward. 

MorganTho
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM
4 moms liked this
I think it's just wrong. That's why so many states are getting pushed into privatizing the prisons these companies are for profit, and then making more $ off slave labor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I think so, as well.

And I completely agree with you about driving down wages, etc. I can't believe anyone who has really thought this through would think it's a good economic idea. Other than those corporations profiting, I suppose...but that's still a rather short view to take.

Quoting LindaClement:

We have prison farms here, in some places: enabling prisoners to grow their own food, which I think is completely appropriate.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Gee and all this time I thought American Slaves were just really Canadians

(Just teasing, Linda, so smile :) )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MorganTho
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM
3 moms liked this
This doesn't save the taxpayers money. These prisons are For-profit, they don't discount how much $ they get from the government from what they make off the prisoners. They take $ from the state, and then make money off the prisoner's labor on top of that.

Quoting romanceparty4u:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM

rolling on floor

Our lowest minimum wage is $9.25/hr ... so...

Quoting Donna6503:

Gee and all this time I thought American Slaves were just really Canadians

(Just teasing, Linda, so smile :) )

Tag3.0
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Would it be better if these prisons were owned by our own government? Our own governemnt used to do the same thing, these were called industrial prisons. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)