Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Principal bans strapless dresses

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 111 Replies

My 13 year old has a few strapless dresses.  She does not wear them to school, or events, without a cover.  Nor would she be wearing a dress, such as the one posted, at her age.

I don't mind strapless.  But it has to come all the way up and not v-shaped or otherwise.  Strapless does not mean much compared to some of the dresses I have seen young girls wearing, showing cleavage and otherwise. 

Some of the prom dresses I see girls wearing are a lot more inappropriate than a strapless dress.

Quote:

NJ Parents Protest Strapless Dress Ban for 8th Grade Dance

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013  |  Updated 12:25 AM EDT

Parents took to a school board meeting in New Jersey to protest a school principal's ban on strapless dresses at an 8th grade dance. Ida Siegal reports.

NBC 4 New York

Parents took to a school board meeting in New Jersey to protest a school principal's ban on strapless dresses at an 8th grade dance. Ida Siegal reports.

Some New Jersey parents are upset that a principal has banned girls from wearing strapless dresses to an eighth grade dance.

Readington Middle School principal Sharon Moffat wrote a letter to parents this month laying out a dress code -- "collared shirts and trousers" for boys, and a skirt or dress with straps for girls.

When parent Charlotte Nijenhuis disagreed with the dress code and spoke with Moffat about it, she says the principal told her strapless dresses "distract boys."

The principal also allegedly told Nijenhuis any student who showed up in a strapless dress would be turned away from the dance.

Nijenhuis says it's neither a woman's nor a girl's responsibility to control a man's or boy's behavior. 

Nijenhuis and other parents took their dress code protest to the school board Tuesday night. The superintendent and the school principal had no comment other than to say they would review the policy and make an announcement next month. 

Parents are funding the dance, which is scheduled to be held at a private venue. They say strapless dresses have been permitted in years past, and many have already bought the dresses specifically for the upcoming dance.

Another parent, Nancy Garceau, told NBC 4 New York that the kids are old enough to handle formal dress.

"They get dressed up, it's a nice formal occasion, and they're much more mature than that, and they can handle it better than they're getting credit for," she said.

Not everyone agreed. Father Phillip Ritter said at the meeting, "It's not about a dress. It's respecting authority. If this is what they've decided to do, do it." 

--Jen Maxfield and Ida Siegal contributed to this story

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tag3.0
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldnt buy a strapless dress for my daughter if she was that age. Tell the whiny parents to buy something to cover their shoulders.

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM
5 moms liked this
I have no problem with a ban on strapless dresses. I can also communicate that in a way that doesn't place the responsibility of a boy's behavior on a girl.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Here is a photo of my daughter in one of her strapless dresses.  With a cover.  

I don't mind the strapless as long as it covers and I do feel some type of cover is appropriate at this age.

Wearing a cover is not stiffling their sense of expression or who they are.  Some of these parents seem a bit silly to me, to be honest. 

angie944
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM

For 8th grade is understandable... not a lot of girls have the chest to keep a strapless dress up...  

mrssummerlin
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM

And?

When I was in school my senior year they banned a LOT of diffrent styles of dresses. Basically no skin chould show at all unless it was shoulders and from knees down. No low cut neck lines, no strapless, no empty midsections or low cut backs.

Whatever, it is what it is so you either follow the rule no matter how stupid you may find it or you don't attend and find something better to do.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Quoting mrssummerlin:

And?

When I was in school my senior year they banned a LOT of diffrent styles of dresses. Basically no skin chould show at all unless it was shoulders and from knees down. No low cut neck lines, no strapless, no empty midsections or low cut backs.

Whatever, it is what it is so you either follow the rule no matter how stupid you may find it or you don't attend and find something better to do.

This is pretty much how I feel.  I have always known the rules, dress codes, when it came to my girls and school. 

I guess, in this instance, the parents are upset because they had already purchased the dresses and then the Principal banned them.  Meh, I can't see getting so upset and going to the media over a damn dress.

happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's a little sad that strangers at school seem to care about modesty/morals/ and good taste more than the parents of the kids who go to school here.........

Why would any parent have a problem with a dress code that promoted modest attire?

furbabymum
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM

8th grade. That is not a dress for an 8th grader. Holy hell.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting happinessforyou:

I think it's a little sad that strangers at school seem to care about modesty/morals/ and good taste more than the parents of the kids who go to school here.........

Why would any parent have a problem with a dress code that promoted modest attire?

A few 7th grade girls were recently sent home from my daughter's school.  They wore inappropriate clothing, clearly going against the dress code.  The parents were called, asked to bring other clothing.  They refused.  The parents were then called again and told to come pick up their daughters.  The following day, the parents walked the girls in to school, again dressed in short shorts and string tank tops.  The parents said they are hindering their freedom of expression.  The girls were suspended for three days.

I'm surprised the parents did not run to the media. 

Two of the girls, when they returned to school, had told friends they were embarrassed and did not want to wear what their mothers had told them to wear.  

SMH

happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Some parents are just DUMB!!! :(

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting happinessforyou:

A few 7th grade girls were recently sent home from my daughter's school.  They wore inappropriate clothing, clearly going against the dress code.  The parents were called, asked to bring other clothing.  They refused.  The parents were then called again and told to come pick up their daughters.  The following day, the parents walked the girls in to school, again dressed in short shorts and string tank tops.  The parents said they are hindering their freedom of expression.  The girls were suspended for three days.

I'm surprised the parents did not run to the media. 

Two of the girls, when they returned to school, had told friends they were embarrassed and did not want to wear what their mothers had told them to wear.  

SMH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN