Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

US imam calls on Muslims in US to wage jihad

Posted by   + Show Post

US imam calls on Muslims in US to wage jihad

Neil Munro
White House Correspondent

The controversial imam of a prominent mosque in Arlington, Va., has urged immigrant Muslims in the United States to wage war for Islam.

“The enemies of Allah are lining up. The question for us is, are we lining [up] or are we afraid because they may call us terrorists?” Shaker Elsayed told a crowd of Ethiopian Muslims during a lecture at T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria, Va.

“Let me give you the good news: they are already calling us terrorists anyway. Whether you sitting at home, watching TV, drinking coffee, sleeping or playing with your kids, you are a terrorist because you are a Muslim.”

“Well, give them a run for their money. Make it worth it. Make this title worth it, and be a good Muslim,” said the Cairo-born Muslim.

“Muslim men when it is a price to pay, they are first in line. … They are the first in the community-service line. They are the first in jihad line,” he declared to applause.

At the end of the imam’s incendiary speech, a representative of the Ethiopian group walked to the podium and declared the speech was not calling for jihad.

“Just a disclaimer,” the emcee said. “Imam Shakir, he’s not advocating for armed struggle in Ethiopia. He’s just simply giving us a lesson. We’ll just continue with our non-violent struggle until these guys who are in prison [in Ethiopia] who did not bow down for this repressive government … are free.”

Imam Johari Abdul-Malik, the press secretary for the imam’s Dar al-Hijrah mosque, did not respond to messages from The Daily Caller.

“If Dar al-Hijrah were like most American religious institutions it would fire Elsayed, but it’s not like most religious institutions,” John Rossomando, a researcher at the Investigative Project on Terrorism.

“The mosque operates as a front for Hamas … [and] has the distinction of being connected with more terror plots than just about any other mosque in America,” he said in a statement to TheDC.

Ethiopia is a majority-Christian country and has defended itself from encroaching Muslims armies for more than 1,000 years. Currently, Muslims in Ethiopia’s Ogaden region complain that the central government has not given them autonomy.

“Ethiopian muslims are protesting against perceived government interference in their activities … [and] observers fear the latest move by the government would spark protests by muslims in the Horn of Africa country,” said a website run by Badr Ethiopia, an Ethiopian Muslim group.

The group cites the controversial Council on American Islamic Relations as an affiliate.

Elsayed’s comments add to his history of controversial statements that match orthodox Islam, but which clash with American culture.

In 1990, for example, The New York Times quoted him saying that the murder of a radical Jewish nationalist in New York was legal under Muslim law.

The murder of rabbi Meir Kahane “was not a violation, in the sense that Kahane adopted a position against all Arabs and Muslims,” said Elsayed, according to the Times.

According to numerous Islamic leaders, Islamic law endorses the use of war to expand the rule of Islam. The law, dubbed Shariah, also endorses the killing of Islam’s critics, including poets Christian preachers, and it allows only grudging recognition of non-Islamic governments.

For orthodox Muslims, civilian law is subordinate to Islamic requirements.

That provision has been implemented, at least in part, in Egypt’s new 2012 constitution. The constitution was mostly written by legislators in the political party created by the international Muslim Brotherhood organization.

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Replies (161-170):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Oh. I think she's still here, just magically reincarnated.

Quoting Shoota:

It said Cake baker isn't a member anymore...how sad. That was fun while it lasted.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mehamil1:

I was talking to crackheadcakebaker. She seems to think Jihad means "kill all white Americans and then some". The muslimahs on this board have explained over and over again that it means struggle. Whatever that imam meant/intended, whatever. Different strokes for different folks. For the grand majority of Muslims though, I'd say it means struggle. But I'm not the community spokesperson for the worlds 1 billion Muslims. For all I know he could have meant the monkeys in my butt. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:
So then how do you know what the Imams intended meaning of Jihad was?
Quoting mehamil1:

I don't know. I didn't write the speech. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

If that's all it means then why the need to for a disclaimer after the Imams speech?

“Just a disclaimer,” the emcee said. “Imam Shakir, he’s not advocating for armed struggle in Ethiopia. He’s just simply giving us a lesson. We’ll just continue with our non-violent struggle until these guys who are in prison [in Ethiopia] who did not bow down for this repressive government … are free.”

Quoting mehamil1:

Hey stupid, jihad means struggle. Not go blow people up. 

Quoting Imacakebaker:

s you all are good with a imam in americal calling for jihad?  nice.

What do you think of this part?

Quote:

The murder of rabbi Meir Kahane “was not a violation, in the sense that Kahane adopted a position against all Arabs and Muslims,” said Elsayed, according to the Times.

According to numerous Islamic leaders, Islamic law endorses the use of war to expand the rule of Islam. The law, dubbed Shariah, also endorses the killing of Islam’s critics, including poets Christian preachers, and it allows only grudging recognition of non-Islamic governments.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

lol

Quoting 12hellokitty:

So when Muslims were calling for the death of those who blasphemy Muhammad it was just a misunderstanding? 

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Because of people like YOU, who would hear it in a recording and immediately think that he was calling for violence.  

THAT is how vigilant these people have to be now.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

By other Muslims?  Seriously if Muslims don't understand what jihad means why are non-muslims expected to?

Quoting jllcali:

It's something that could have been easily misunderstood.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

If that's all it means then why the need to for a disclaimer after the Imams speech?

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

so you all are good with a imam in americal calling for jihad?  nice.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM
You didn't ask me, but I think it is paraphrased. If you want someone to respond to another's words, post their actual statement.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting mehamil1:

I was talking to crackheadcakebaker. She seems to think Jihad means "kill all white Americans and then some". The muslimahs on this board have explained over and over again that it means struggle. Whatever that imam meant/intended, whatever. Different strokes for different folks. For the grand majority of Muslims though, I'd say it means struggle. But I'm not the community spokesperson for the worlds 1 billion Muslims. For all I know he could have meant the monkeys in my butt. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:
So then how do you know what the Imams intended meaning of Jihad was?

Quoting mehamil1:

I don't know. I didn't write the speech. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting Imacakebaker:

s you all are good with a imam in americal calling for jihad?  nice.

What do you think of this part?

Quote:

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LindaClement:

Isn't 'jihad' just 'observance' of something?

No, it is a call to do something.

There are two commonly accepted meanings of jihad: an inner spiritual struggle and an outer physical struggle.[1] The "greater jihad" is the inner struggle by a believer to fulfill his religious duties.[1][5] This non-violent meaning is stressed by both Muslim[6] and non-Muslim[7] authors.

The "lesser jihad" is the physical struggle against the enemies of Islam.[1] This physical struggle can take a violent form or a non-violent form. The proponents of the violent form translate jihad as "holy war",[8][9] although some Islamic studies scholars disagree.[10] The Dictionary of Islam[1] and British-American orientalist Bernard Lewis both argue jihad has a military meaning in the large majority of cases.[11] Some scholars maintain non-violent ways to struggle against the enemies of Islam. An example of this is written debate, often characterized as "jihad of the pen".[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

So Muslims (and perhaps Arabs) need a TEA PARTY?

Quoting pvtjokerus:

No one said that they did.  However, with publicity like this hurts Muslims and they need to step up and do something about it. 

Quoting Bookwormy:

Do perps represent the entire RCC? Do terrorists represent all anti-privacy Christians who are against abortion, just because some are willing to bomb clinics & kill physicians? Does WBC represent all Christians?

If I suggest all Catholics are child molesters or that the RCC knowingly protected priests who did, I will get attacked. If I point out anti-privacy Christians commit acts of terror to protect fetuses, I'm told they are not representative, they are extremist, etc. And clearly everyone jumps on me if I suggest WBC is Christian.

One Imam does not Islam make.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Why are you attacking her for posting something that an Imam stated in the press?  Why are you not addressing the real issue instead of attacking the person sharing it with us?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

OP, you better a get a hold of yourself before you end up on a 'watch list'.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Complicated... like a lot of language...

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting LindaClement:

Isn't 'jihad' just 'observance' of something?

No, it is a call to do something.

There are two commonly accepted meanings of jihad: an inner spiritual struggle and an outer physical struggle.[1] The "greater jihad" is the inner struggle by a believer to fulfill his religious duties.[1][5] This non-violent meaning is stressed by both Muslim[6] and non-Muslim[7] authors.

The "lesser jihad" is the physical struggle against the enemies of Islam.[1] This physical struggle can take a violent form or a non-violent form. The proponents of the violent form translate jihad as "holy war",[8][9] although some Islamic studies scholars disagree.[10] The Dictionary of Islam[1] and British-American orientalist Bernard Lewis both argue jihad has a military meaning in the large majority of cases.[11] Some scholars maintain non-violent ways to struggle against the enemies of Islam. An example of this is written debate, often characterized as "jihad of the pen".[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad

SadiasMomma
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM
The mosque I attend never instructs me to do anything besides be a good person...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Name a Muslim member on this forum who trashes "Jews."  (Not Israel...we are talking about Jews.)

Lets hear it.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Weird how the Jewish members on this site will  trash Conservatives, although Conservatives for the most part are for protecting their Religious rights and definitely don't want to blow them up, but will suspend all notion of reality and will defend Muslims until their dying breath.

Up is down and down is up.

Especially when you consider how few Muslims do this for Jewish people.

muslimah
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Quoting pvtjokerus:

You would have to call me a liar?  You may want to check all of your Muslim countries before writing the below.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Please stop with the "phobe" this and the "phobe" that.  I spent half my years a big chunk of my life with those of the Islamic faith.  My mentor is a Muslim and my free time I have taught Muslim women self defense classes.  And last I have helped some women escape their country because they believed in Christianity and they would have been beaten and killed if their secret got out. So when I see an Imam get on national news and spout out his BS, I don't have to check and see if he meant it was a call for an act of violence.  He said it, he meant it.  As for the community sending out reports that they reject his "voice" I have not read anything saying that they did.  Maybe it wasn't reported.  Maybe is was reported in local news.  The problem is we have seen what this man is spouting but we are not seeing the same "loud" voice from the other side.

Quoting Bookwormy:

OK...

The guy who introduced the Imam immediately clarified that this was not a call to violence.

What research have you done beyond the OP to see if this Imam has been renounced? Do you trust one article from one Islamophobe?

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Riddle this....stay on topic.  ;  )

Quoting Bookwormy:

The guy who introduced the Imam immediately clarified that this was not a call to violence.

What research have you done beyond the OP to see if this Imam has been renounced? Do you trust one article from one Islamophobe?

How come no one cared about WBC when they were just homophobes? No one cared until they went after fallen military, except my peeps. Why is it that only GLBT cared? Huh? Riddle me that riddler.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

No one said that they did.  However, with publicity like this hurts Muslims and they need to step up and do something about it. 

Quoting Bookwormy:

Do perps represent the entire RCC? Do terrorists represent all anti-privacy Christians who are against abortion, just because some are willing to bomb clinics & kill physicians? Does WBC represent all Christians?

If I suggest all Catholics are child molesters or that the RCC knowingly protected priests who did, I will get attacked. If I point out anti-privacy Christians commit acts of terror to protect fetuses, I'm told they are not representative, they are extremist, etc. And clearly everyone jumps on me if I suggest WBC is Christian.

One Imam does not Islam make.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Why are you attacking her for posting something that an Imam stated in the press?  Why are you not addressing the real issue instead of attacking the person sharing it with us?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

OP, you better a get a hold of yourself before you end up on a 'watch list'.

And what Muslim countries would that be may I ask. because if you say anything other than Saudi, Iran, Afghanistan, or Somalia then I will have to call you a liar.

No need for me to check. I already know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)