Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Marion County schools bring back paddling as form of punishment

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 67 Replies

What do you think of paddling in elementary school?

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/marion-county-schools-bring-back-paddling-as-form-of-punishment/-/1637132/19872278/-/91ra5nz/-/index.html

Marion County schools bring back paddling as form of punishment

Elementary principals will be able to paddle misbehaving students

OCALA, Fla. -

Elementary school principals will now be able to paddle misbehaving students in Marion County.

The Marion County school board approved the measure Tuesday, three years after banning the practice.

Paddling can only be used in elementary schools if a parent gives a standing written approval once a year. In addition, the principal must receive verbal permission before paddling the child. And a student can be paddled just once a semester.

The newspaper reports that before the practice was banned in 2010, Marion County was one of the largest districts in the state that still used corporal punishment.

The motion to bring back paddling was made by board member Carol Ely, a retired principal who believes it is a good option for discipline.

Do you agree with the decision?

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

It still happens here in my part of Texas. We have to sign a permission slip every enrollment for corporal punishment. I sign to allow. The kids know not to phuck up at school or they will get the *meat whistle* after them..

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I got paddled once.  The VP of the school enjoyed it.  I was late to class because I had to poop.  I was seven.  Bastards.  I think it is wrong.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM

That is definitely wrong. 

I remember in grade school all the bad kids would b out in the hall and the principal would make his round every hour and swat us in the hall..

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

I got paddled once.  The VP of the school enjoyed it.  I was late to class because I had to poop.  I was seven.  Bastards.  I think it is wrong.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I was paddled in third grade because I didn't do my math homework...then lied about it. She made us all stand up, allowing us to sit when she called off our names from the pile of turned in papers. I'd sneak down, thinking I was being smart.

That paddling was nothing compared to what I got at home!

I learned pretty quickly the importance of doing homework...

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this

If I had children this age, or if the school my Grandson was to attend at that age, brought back corporal punishment........I would move heaven and earth to put them in a different school or find a way to home school them.

mamaofficer
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I wonder what happens if they leave a bruise, will that be child abuse, will they be arrested and have to take a class?

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM

You have to first sign a written permission form and then they call you and you have to give a verbal permission...its not like they're just giving pops at whim.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

If I had children this age, or if the school my Grandson was to attend at that age, brought back corporal punishment........I would move heaven and earth to put them in a different school or find a way to home school them.

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM

You know what is interesting is that I have read so many "pro-spanking" articles about how it creates better citizens.  Now, whether a person wants to spank or not in their own home I believe is up to the parents but from my own personal point of view, from that moment on, I lost all trust of authority.  I was also constipated a lot because I was afriad if I went to the bathroom and it took too long I would get hit five times with a wooden board. 

Quoting -Celestial-:

That is definitely wrong. 

I remember in grade school all the bad kids would b out in the hall and the principal would make his round every hour and swat us in the hall..

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Ha! We never gave it up where I live. Of course, the parents sign a permission slip for it at the beginning of each year.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I always signed it for my kids too. We sat down and I carefully and clearly explained the possible consequences of their chosen behavior, and they watched me sign it and had to return it. They knew if they acted up bad enough to get pops, they deserved it. Neither one ever got them.

Quoting -Celestial-:

It still happens here in my part of Texas. We have to sign a permission slip every enrollment for corporal punishment. I sign to allow. The kids know not to phuck up at school or they will get the *meat whistle* after them..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN