Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Meet Your New $100 Bill...It's purty

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:39 PM
  • 17 Replies

For only the fourth time in history, there will be a new $100 bill.

After a three-year delay due to slower-than-expected production, Americans will finally have an improved, high-tech $100 bill for their wallets, the Federal Reserve said Wednesday.

The bill is set to debut on Oct. 8.

What's so special about the new greenback? To start, the Fed says the the bill is a culmination of a decade-long research and design process.

The note features a series of amped-up security measures aimed at combating counterfeiters, including a blue, 3-D security ribbon on the front of the bill that moves when the note is tilted back and forth and side to side.

The inkwell and bell on the front of the bill and the number 100 on the right-hand corner also change from copper to green when the note is tilted.

This is the fourth time the $100 bill has been redesigned, according to a Fed spokeswoman. It has been revamped three times in the last 20 years alone, as the Fed had to react more often to improved counterfeiting technology.

The design was first unveiled in 2010 and was meant to go into circulation in Feb. 2011. To top of page

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/24/news/economy/new-100-dollar-bill/

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tag3.0
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM

This shit is starting to look like monopoly money!

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Is it plastic too like the new Canadian money?
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM

It looks very Euro.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I heard it was going to be more colorful!  Jeez it seems like they just updated the hundred.

I'm glad for this, I work in a cash volume business and last year we got stuck with $300 in fake hundreds. You'll never believe it but the most recent fake I have seen was  $5.  Yes, a FIVE.  We get fake 20s sometimes, too.  

cjsix
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM

It looks fake....

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM

What in the world...

It really makes me wonder about people: who in the world would spend so much time and effort to make fake 5 dollar bills? I mean, really! It reminds me of when I was a kid, my mom would get so mad because I would spend more time and effort figuring out how to 'pretend' clean my room (stuff stashed here and there, hiding it) rather than really clean it. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

I heard it was going to be more colorful!  Jeez it seems like they just updated the hundred.

I'm glad for this, I work in a cash volume business and last year we got stuck with $300 in fake hundreds. You'll never believe it but the most recent fake I have seen was  $5.  Yes, a FIVE.  We get fake 20s sometimes, too.  

Vcoskey
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Because fives and tens almost never get checked - much less risk than big dollars.

Quoting krysstizzle:

What in the world...

It really makes me wonder about people: who in the world would spend so much time and effort to make fake 5 dollar bills? I mean, really! It reminds me of when I was a kid, my mom would get so mad because I would spend more time and effort figuring out how to 'pretend' clean my room (stuff stashed here and there, hiding it) rather than really clean it. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:50 PM

You're less likely to get caught.  No one checks $5 bills with the special marker or the watermark.  You might even be able to put them in change machines and get quarters back which you can then exchange for paper money.

Quoting krysstizzle:

What in the world...

Quoting stacymomof2:

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Ben Franklin looks a little pissed to me.  I mean, maybe this is the same picture as the old bill, but he looks like he's saying "wtf is up with this crazy colored paper".  Or he looks like he's on the toilet.  

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Damn, I think some of you haven't seen paper currency from other countries.

I'd venture a guess you've never seen a US $1000 bill either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)