Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Apparently the Boston bomber suspect wasn't armed when he was fired upon

I just read an article that the bomber who holed up in a parked boat was unarmed. Is that even news worthy? He appears to be a legitimate suspect that bombed a public space killing and injuring people. Does it matter that he wasn't armed when he was running from law enforcement?

Although police feared he was heavily armed, the suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings had no firearms when he came under a barrage of police gunfire that struck the boat where he was hiding, according to multiple federal law enforcement officials.

Authorities said they were desperate to capture Dzhokhar Tsarnaev so he could be questioned. The FBI, however, declined to discuss what triggered the gunfire.

Video

Speaking at the memorial service of slain MIT police officer Sean Collier, who was killed while pursuing the Boston bombing suspects, Vice President Biden praised Collier as "a wonderful kid" and promised, “we will not yield to fear.”

Speaking at the memorial service of slain MIT police officer Sean Collier, who was killed while pursuing the Boston bombing suspects, Vice President Biden praised Collier as "a wonderful kid" and promised, “we will not yield to fear.”

Other law enforcement officials said the shooting may have been prompted by the chaos of the moment and some action that led the officers present to believe Tsarnaev had fired a weapon or was about to detonate explosives.

These new details emerged as investigators continued their examination of the movements and motives of Tsarnaev, 19, and his brother, Tamerlan, in last week’s coordinated bombing, which killed three people and wounded more than 250.

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Replies (161-169):
eviesmom453
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Yeah, I heard that, too. He supposedly shot at the police, but didn't have a gun? The details of this situation are changing by the hour.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Must be a new development - so new I wasn't even aware:D

Quoting tscritch:

LoveMyBoyK...I was not aware you are a crackwhore!!!! Is this new or have you been one for awhile now? :-)

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Yes, actually you did with your sarcastic comment about sleeping well when I merely shared a civil opinion. And now you resort to tawdry personal attacks. How sad you can not discuss like an adult. SMH.

Quoting Donnah118:

Listen you bored crackwhore housewife go troll your bored ass somewhere else. Nobody started SHIT with you. Good night

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

If you do not want to "get into it", next time do not start it.

Quoting Donnah118:

I am so not getting into this. Not worth my time. Find another argument thank you.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I was not aware there was a time limit set on opinions being shared. Kindly point me to where such is spelled out in the ToS.

Quoting Donnah118:

It was over two days ago but thank you. I will sleep better tonight knowing how you feel.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

She has expertise and inside knowledge of police procedures. Her insight is more than welcome here.

Quoting Donnah118:

Ok before I leave this converation and the many like it on this site I would like to point out that I have a cousin in Watertown. My old boss lives in Watertown and a childhood friend of mine has parents who live in Watertown. I would also like to point out that officers were live, on air carrying children from the surrounding homes of the home where the boat was located. How is it that officers in the country stands together united on this but you? Thousands all across the Country, former and current law enforcement came to Boston to pay respects to the murdered MIT officer and yet here you sit correcting us cicvilians. Not interested. Have a nice day.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Let me tell you something about evacuations. Not EVERYONE gets evacuated. The police can only SUGGEST that people leave their homes they cannot FORCE people out by dragging them into the streets. Therefore WE, in law enforcement are supposed to act as if all the homes are occupied. That's SOP.

Even though you're in BOSTON, it's clear that you don't know everything that you think you know so,

Pay closer attention.

Quoting Donnah118:Evacuated. Gee for a bunch of people who know so much you seemed to miss a hell of a lot of the news. Or is it just that those of us in Boston paid closer attention ?

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:It is absolutely necessary to assume that he is armed and dangerous. With that said, there is a level of force that we go by.

You can't see the suspect, can't tell if he's armed or not and have not been fired upon (assuming) - then the barrage of bullets was wrong. They are lucky that innocent bystanders (if there were any) were not hurt because of the gunfire. Or that one of those rounds didn't go through a window of a house that was occupied.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:I am a retired cop as many of you know. I wondered this immediately. If he did not fire first then there's a problem. We are not here to execute. I could see however, a well placed shot to the neck by ONE shooter in the event they thought he was wearing a suicide vest.

But, there's no evidence either way if he was definitively armed or not. Time will tell.His brother died while driving a car they car jacked. One or both of them appeared to be armed during that chase. Is it not prudent to assume that the one that escaped is likely armed and dangerous? Just curious about your thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

no

Does it matter that he wasn't armed when he was running from law enforcement?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

It does matter if the first reports are true that  authorities were shooting at him while in the boat if he was unarmed. 

Why?

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I don't know, but it might since I'd want him taken alive to answer questions.  Shooting any suspect to death is counter-productive when victims and their families have the right to know what the hell happened.  Why?  Could this specific event be thwatted by our government?  Did the suspect warn/threaten the city of Boston beforehand. 

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

would it matter if that was YOUR 8 year old that he killed? 

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

It does matter if the first reports are true that  authorities were shooting at him while in the boat if he was unarmed. 

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Because I'd want  him taken alive to answer questions like why, did  Boston receive threats beforehand etc. 

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Why?

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem :)

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting tscritch:

LoveMyBoyK...I was not aware you are a crackwhore!!!! Is this new or have you been one for awhile now? :-)

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
First I have to figure out whether it is the crack or whoring that is the problem:D (If Big Brother is spying, that was a joke, son!!:P)

Quoting lizzielouaf:

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem :)

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting tscritch:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylamom2004
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:17 PM

And it works OH SO WELL, eh?

Quoting cjsbmom:

If that is the kind of justice you seek, then maybe you ought to move to a Communist country or a Dictatorship, where that is exactly what happens. But as it stands now, we're in the United States, and that is not how our justice system works, thank God. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)