Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama: If daughters get tattoos, Michelle and I will too

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM
  • 14 Replies

US President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama and their daughters Malia (L) and Sasha borad Air Force One at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on November 7, 2012. (AFP)

US President Barack Obama has a unique strategy for keeping his daughters from getting tattoos: threatening to get the same design, along with his wife, and turning it into a family YouTube moment.

“What we’ve said to the girls is: ‘If you guys ever decide that you’re going to get a tattoo, then mommy and me will get the exact same tattoo, in the same place,” Obama explained on NBC’s “Today” show on Wednesday.

“And we’ll go on YouTube and show it off as a family tattoo,” he said. “Our thinking is that it might dissuade them from thinking that somehow that’s a good way to rebel.”

Obama and his wife Michelle have two daughters: Malia, 14, and Sasha, 11.

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM

HA! Me and my oldest DD has already picked matching tattoos for when she turns 18

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol that's something I would tell my daughter. I have one tattoo and I don't mind her getting one when she is old enough.
lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL! My plan is H.S. graduation and I'll pay for one. My kids are under six so the 'bubble gum' ones are fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tag3.0
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan on paying for my daughter's first tattoo.

Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I saw the interview with our president this morning on the Today Show as I was in the waiting room of my ortho's office.

He's not gung-ho about tattoos. He's just finding what he hopes is a way to "dissuade" his daughter's from getting one and appears to think that getting inked is a show of rebellion.

Quoting -Celestial-:

“And we’ll go on YouTube and show it off as a family tattoo,” he said. “Our thinking is that it might dissuade them from thinking that somehow that’s a good way to rebel.”

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I'd be sporting a map tattoo on the back of my left shoulder...

annas_momma
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Is get a funny one in a crazy place just to see if my parents really would do it. Lmao!! Don't know what though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I caught this on the news earlier today.

I may use this one on my 13 year old.  Too late for the older girls. lol

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:05 AM

What does Obama have against tattoos? We tell our kid tattoos are great just make sure they can be covered by an evening gown.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Quoting soonergirl980:

What does Obama have against tattoos? We tell our kid tattoos are great just make sure they can be covered by an evening gown.

Lots of people do not like them.  *shrug*

I don't really like many of them and I even have one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)