Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fourth Grader's Pro-Gay Marriage Essay Goes Viral

Posted by   + Show Post

Fourth grader's pro-gay marriage essay goes viral. (Reddit.com)

What is one fourth grader's argument for marriage equality? Essentially, "Get over it."

When the fourth grader's teacher posted a photo of the essay on Reddit, a social news site where registered users can post content, Wednesday, it quickly took off.

"One of my fourth grade students chose gay marriage as his topic for apersuasive essay," the teacher, Reddit user rafa3l2, wrote. "This is the result. More sense than some adults."

The student wrote:

"Why gay people should be able to get married is you can't stop two adult's from getting married because there grown and it doesn't matter if it creeps you out just get over it. And you should be happy for them because it's a big moment in their life. When I went to my grandparents wedding it was the happies moment."

"I am not sharing this because of how perfect the sentences are, but because of how clear his thought process is on this specific issue," the teacher wrote on Reddit. "It isn't as simple as pointing out mistakes and spelling errors."

The essay, errors and all, has since been posted on Huffington PostBuzzfeedTowleroad, and shared on social media sites, such as Tumblr.

Other recent letters and emails have also hit emotional notes and gone viral.

Last month, a young girl's letter to Yosemite National Park also touched hearts when a park ranger posted an image of the letter on Reddit, noting the girl's admirable attempt to return two sticks she had accidentally taken from the park.

While the fourth grade writer's essay might not change any laws, GLAAD, an organization that supports equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, fully endorses the student's efforts.

"This fourth grader is echoing what a majority of Americans of all ages now feel, and perfectly represents the respect for diversity that this student's generation is learning," Wilson Cruz, a GLAAD spokesperson, told ABCNews.com.

"This student is absolutely correct in saying that marriage is a 'big moment' for a couple, and creates a sturdy foundation for the rest of their lives.

"Children are wiser than we often give them credit for."

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/fourth-graders-pro-gay-marriage-essay-goes-viral-163213351--abc-news-topstories.html

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Replies (31-40):
MissTacoBell
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM
So, you contend that this essay us merely echoing "PC" rhetoric being fed to him.

Other ladies on here, take the words for face value.

You're evidence? Make your case, use examples, who are his parents? What are their personal views?

Since that information is clearly not presented or likely available at all, you're assumptions that the adults around him fed him this view is just as erroneous as others assumptions that they were not fed to him.

However, if you read it carefully, you see a clear understanding of fairness and equality. Is that not something our children should learn as a UNIVERSAL absolute? How can you tell a child that it is unfair to discriminate between men and women, but totally fair to discriminate between homosexuals and heterosexuals?

It is a bad double standard. And may I add also that the last time a huge group was denied basic civil rights, it took a long and bloody war plus 100+ years to put it right.

Do we teach our children to fight tooth and nail against equality? Or do we teach them that all men are created equal? I opt for the latter, and I hope, should you opt for the former, our children never meet.

Quoting TranquilMind:

No one should be bullied or teased, regardless of belief, appearance, intelligence or any other basis.

But no, it' isn't about "so long as they love each other". 

Unsound reasoning.  Reminds me of that song from the 70's by Luther Ingram about having an affair (but at least then we recognized that some things WERE wrong, whereas today, we don't seem to have that standard):

If loving you is wrong I don't wanna be right
If being right means being without you
I'd rather live a wrong doing life
Your mama and daddy say it's a shame
It's a downright disgrace
Long as I got you by my side
I don't care what your people say

Your friends tell you there's no future
in loving a married man
If I can't see you when I want to
I'll see you when I can

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

My 15 year old know what gay marriage is. She sees her gay best friend get teased. She has stood up to the bullies and other whenever they say anything negative about gay people. It is that simple. Like she says.. "what they do is not my business. As long as they love each other, how could they be wrong?"

Quoting TranquilMind:

The fourth grader is simply echoing the politically-correct stuff coming out of the mouths of the adults around him. 

His reasoning is:  Two adults should be able to get married if they want to do it because that's what they told me. 

Wow. Bowled over there.  He doesn't understand what marriage even is.  He thinks it's a "happy day". 

momtoscott
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Yes, that is one of the ways in which they form opinions, watching mom and dad in a good marriage.  I have one of those, too.  A good marriage, been married for 17 years now.  My 15-year-old son has no problem with gay people or gay marriage, even though he is straight and intends very much to be married to a woman someday.  (When he is 27.  He will have two kids, a boy and a girl, he has picked out their names, already designed the house they will live in.)  So...how did that happen?  He has formed opinions about what marriage is by watching us, and thinking, and talking with his friends, teachers, etc.   

If I had formed opinions about marriage solely by watching my parents, I would have been bitterly divorced by now, as well as antigay marriage and, basically, anti happy marriage.  

Quoting TranquilMind:

I've raised kids well past 4th grade, and taught a bit along the way as well. 

They form opinions of what marriage is by watching Mommy and Daddy in a good marriage.  They are the fruit of marriage. 

Quoting momtoscott:

Well, if you know any fourth graders with a nuanced, sophisticated understanding of marriage that they have developed independent of the adults around them, feel free to post their essays in rebuttal.  

I imagine, though, that most fourth graders have at least had the chance to observe the marriages of people around them and form opinions.  I teach fourth graders.  Many are smarter and more independent thinkers than we adults would assume.  

Quoting TranquilMind:

No, you are jumping to erroneous conclusions here.

I am referring to what the child actually said.  (My wedding day was awesome, one of the best days of my life, and so is my quarter-century marriage pretty awesome, thanks.) 

This kid is clearly and obviously spouting what he has been told that he should believe by people with a vested interest in indoctrination into that belief.  

It's so obvious that it really need not be reiterated.  

Quoting momtoscott:

Wow, sounds like a little sour grapes here.  Maybe your marriage wasn't a happy day.  If not, I am truly sorry.  

My marriage was a very happy day.  It wasn't sanctified by a church, but it was happy.  Most of my gay friends who are married also had happy marriage days.   

Sometimes politically correct is just ... correct.  Two adults should be able to get married.    

Quoting TranquilMind:

The fourth grader is simply echoing the politically-correct stuff coming out of the mouths of the adults around him. 

His reasoning is:  Two adults should be able to get married if they want to do it because that's what they told me. 

Wow. Bowled over there.  He doesn't understand what marriage even is.  He thinks it's a "happy day". 

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think so. My 4 yr old DD was playing with her dolls. She was playing that two women were getting married. She turned to me and asked, "Can two girls get married in real life?" I explained that in some states they could and in some it is against the law. She asked if they could in our state, and when I told her no she cried. Full on, deep felt cried. 

This was the first conversation that we had on the subject. She was thinking her own thoughts and feeling her own feelings. 

Why do you try to take a child's opinion away? 

Quoting TranquilMind:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

My son, who is fairly close in age, has no problem with anyone and would defend anyone who is getting picked on for any reason (and he's really tall, so they would back off, I think). 

He's going to be married to a good woman "who cooks and brings him great food and cleans all the time" and is going to have SIX kids.

Ha ha.  We shall see.  He wants her to be kind of like me but a better cook!  :)

Quoting momtoscott:

Yes, that is one of the ways in which they form opinions, watching mom and dad in a good marriage.  I have one of those, too.  A good marriage, been married for 17 years now.  My 15-year-old son has no problem with gay people or gay marriage, even though he is straight and intends very much to be married to a woman someday.  (When he is 27.  He will have two kids, a boy and a girl, he has picked out their names, already designed the house they will live in.)  So...how did that happen?  He has formed opinions about what marriage is by watching us, and thinking, and talking with his friends, teachers, etc.   

If I had formed opinions about marriage solely by watching my parents, I would have been bitterly divorced by now, as well as antigay marriage and, basically, anti happy marriage.  

Quoting TranquilMind:

I've raised kids well past 4th grade, and taught a bit along the way as well. 

They form opinions of what marriage is by watching Mommy and Daddy in a good marriage.  They are the fruit of marriage. 

Quoting momtoscott:

Well, if you know any fourth graders with a nuanced, sophisticated understanding of marriage that they have developed independent of the adults around them, feel free to post their essays in rebuttal.  

I imagine, though, that most fourth graders have at least had the chance to observe the marriages of people around them and form opinions.  I teach fourth graders.  Many are smarter and more independent thinkers than we adults would assume.  

Quoting TranquilMind:

No, you are jumping to erroneous conclusions here.

I am referring to what the child actually said.  (My wedding day was awesome, one of the best days of my life, and so is my quarter-century marriage pretty awesome, thanks.) 

This kid is clearly and obviously spouting what he has been told that he should believe by people with a vested interest in indoctrination into that belief.  

It's so obvious that it really need not be reiterated.  

Quoting momtoscott:

Wow, sounds like a little sour grapes here.  Maybe your marriage wasn't a happy day.  If not, I am truly sorry.  

My marriage was a very happy day.  It wasn't sanctified by a church, but it was happy.  Most of my gay friends who are married also had happy marriage days.   

Sometimes politically correct is just ... correct.  Two adults should be able to get married.    

Quoting TranquilMind:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I will ask again.................of TranquilMind...........would it be okay if a fourth grader wrote an essay that aligned with how you have taught your children to believe?

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Your 4 year old did not have any heartfelt feelings about this any deeper than, 'I like my 2 prettiest Barbies and they ought to be able to get married because whatever getting married is, it means you get to stay together.' 

Because I have raised kids, that's why. 

I hope you told her that two girl Barbies can't have babies together and a Mommy and a Daddy get married and have babies and take care of them (but I won't hold my breath).

She would be in favor of having babies. 

Quoting desertlvn:

I don't think so. My 4 yr old DD was playing with her dolls. She was playing that two women were getting married. She turned to me and asked, "Can two girls get married in real life?" I explained that in some states they could and in some it is against the law. She asked if they could in our state, and when I told her no she cried. Full on, deep felt cried. 

This was the first conversation that we had on the subject. She was thinking her own thoughts and feeling her own feelings. 

Why do you try to take a child's opinion away? 

Quoting TranquilMind:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Sure, any kid can write an essay about anything.

But I prefer logical essays that make sense given the age of the child, not political adult-speak repackaged.  I find that appalling to use your children to push your political agenda when they don't understand it. 

I have seriously political kids now, especially the oldest teen.  But they came to that through years of sifting their own and others' opinions.  They didn't begin spouting off about privacy rights or 2nd Amendment rights, or congressional debates or anything else they may have heard us talking about when they were 4, while we pretended that our kid was saying anything new and deep about his/her own feelings. 

So I much preferred creative things like  the "walking on the edges of the moon" song my son created one day and sang for weeks. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I will ask again.................of TranquilMind...........would it be okay if a fourth grader wrote an essay that aligned with how you have taught your children to believe?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TranquilMind:

But I prefer logical essays that make sense given the age of the child, not political adult-speak repackaged.  I find that appalling to use your children to push your political agenda when they don't understand it. 

I have seriously political kids now, especially the oldest teen.  But they came to that through years of sifting their own and others' opinions.  They didn't begin spouting off about privacy rights or 2nd Amendment rights, or congressional debates or anything else they may have heard us talking about when they were 4, while we pretended that our kid was saying anything new and deep about his/her own feelings. 

So I much preferred creative things like  the "walking on the edges of the moon" song my son created one day and sang for weeks. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

What I underlined, that is your opinion.  You do not know, any more than the rest of us, that this boy's essay was a direct result of his parent's political agenda. 

My 18 year old daughter is finding her way more and more in to politics.  She has formed her own opinions.  In some areas, we are aligned, in a few other areas, not so much.  Makes for some fun conversations.

My 13 year old has a head for politics more so at this age than her two older sisters did.  We discuss current events all the time.  I let her lead.  She finds herself really wanting to delve in to certain aspects that her teachers are not comfortable with, due to the grade, but absolutely commend her for her insight and her interest.

Even if this boy's essay stems from what he has learned through, or from, his parents, there is no 'proof' that  he is spouting off about any thing in a political sense.  

I have often seen 'essays' and mere letters written by young children going on and on about their perspective about God.  Sure, it probably comes from their parents, in one form or another.  I do not dismiss that child's thoughts even if I disagree.  As long as the child is not hurting some one and is making the effort, good for them.  

You dismiss this child's words because they do not align with your own.  That is the only reason.  His age matter not, any one who thinks this way is dismissed away by many who disagree.

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM
ok first off the kid wasnt four. Secondly do you really believe a kid in fourth grade, which makes the kid nine, cant have his or her own opinion? I am so glad my kids had their own thoughts and opinions by nine.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chloedee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm somehow doubting that there would be the same amount of dismissiveness and claims that a child couldn't have their own thoughts and would only be parroting their parent's views had the essay read something like "gay people can't get married because marriage is for a mommy to have a baby with a daddy and make a family that way. We should be nice to gay people but marriage is about God". 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured