Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fourth Grader's Pro-Gay Marriage Essay Goes Viral

Posted by   + Show Post

Fourth grader's pro-gay marriage essay goes viral. (Reddit.com)

What is one fourth grader's argument for marriage equality? Essentially, "Get over it."

When the fourth grader's teacher posted a photo of the essay on Reddit, a social news site where registered users can post content, Wednesday, it quickly took off.

"One of my fourth grade students chose gay marriage as his topic for apersuasive essay," the teacher, Reddit user rafa3l2, wrote. "This is the result. More sense than some adults."

The student wrote:

"Why gay people should be able to get married is you can't stop two adult's from getting married because there grown and it doesn't matter if it creeps you out just get over it. And you should be happy for them because it's a big moment in their life. When I went to my grandparents wedding it was the happies moment."

"I am not sharing this because of how perfect the sentences are, but because of how clear his thought process is on this specific issue," the teacher wrote on Reddit. "It isn't as simple as pointing out mistakes and spelling errors."

The essay, errors and all, has since been posted on Huffington PostBuzzfeedTowleroad, and shared on social media sites, such as Tumblr.

Other recent letters and emails have also hit emotional notes and gone viral.

Last month, a young girl's letter to Yosemite National Park also touched hearts when a park ranger posted an image of the letter on Reddit, noting the girl's admirable attempt to return two sticks she had accidentally taken from the park.

While the fourth grade writer's essay might not change any laws, GLAAD, an organization that supports equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, fully endorses the student's efforts.

"This fourth grader is echoing what a majority of Americans of all ages now feel, and perfectly represents the respect for diversity that this student's generation is learning," Wilson Cruz, a GLAAD spokesperson, told ABCNews.com.

"This student is absolutely correct in saying that marriage is a 'big moment' for a couple, and creates a sturdy foundation for the rest of their lives.

"Children are wiser than we often give them credit for."

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/fourth-graders-pro-gay-marriage-essay-goes-viral-163213351--abc-news-topstories.html

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Replies (51-59):
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Thank you! I sure am trying.

Quoting gma2two:

You, my dear, are doing an awesome job raising your child!

Quoting desertlvn:

I don't think so. My 4 yr old DD was playing with her dolls. She was playing that two women were getting married. She turned to me and asked, "Can two girls get married in real life?" I explained that in some states they could and in some it is against the law. She asked if they could in our state, and when I told her no she cried. Full on, deep felt cried. 

This was the first conversation that we had on the subject. She was thinking her own thoughts and feeling her own feelings. 

Why do you try to take a child's opinion away? 

Quoting TranquilMind:

The fourth grader is simply echoing the politically-correct stuff coming out of the mouths of the adults around him. 

His reasoning is:  Two adults should be able to get married if they want to do it because that's what they told me. 

Wow. Bowled over there.  He doesn't understand what marriage even is.  He thinks it's a "happy day". 

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM
I don't think it's so odd. I know my DD was asking if she could marry a girl when she grows up. A lot of kids know at least one gay couple. I was actually talking to a group of moms about our 6 year olds asking questions and what our answers were.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Guess I am the only one that questions why and how a nine year old is so versed in very adult subjects.  While I am not against gay marriage, I am against children needing to deal with controversial issues beyond their years. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM

:)

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I suppose you may be right.  My kids, mostly adults did not ask questions pertaining to alternative lifestyles when they were children of that age.  Our two youngest, 6 and 10 have not questioned anything thus far, but I'm sure the subject will emerge eventually.

Quoting smalltowngal:

I don't think it's so odd. I know my DD was asking if she could marry a girl when she grows up. A lot of kids know at least one gay couple. I was actually talking to a group of moms about our 6 year olds asking questions and what our answers were.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Guess I am the only one that questions why and how a nine year old is so versed in very adult subjects.  While I am not against gay marriage, I am against children needing to deal with controversial issues beyond their years. 

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

There is so much hate out there that I personally choose to discuss these things with my daughter when they are brought up. Just like how I had to have a discussion with her about animal cruelty as she was crying her eyes out at 6 after seeing one of those sad commercials on TV. It's so hard to shield kids from all the negatives. She came home from school once and asked about being gay because her classmate was talking about how disgusting it is to be gay. We also had to have a discussion about different religions when a classmate from school told her that if you don't believe in God, you will go to hell. She is only in 5th grade so I can't imagine what's coming next.
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Yes.  I  was just responding to another post in this thread.  My children whom are mostly adults now never asked about these particular issues.  They were going about their childhood in relatively non-turbulant times.  Our youngest are 6 and 10.  There will come a day when they have questions.  DH and me will address the issues when they have questions so they do not learn the wrong answers anywhere else.

Quoting Healthystart30:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

There is so much hate out there that I personally choose to discuss these things with my daughter when they are brought up. Just like how I had to have a discussion with her about animal cruelty as she was crying her eyes out at 6 after seeing one of those sad commercials on TV. It's so hard to shield kids from all the negatives. She came home from school once and asked about being gay because her classmate was talking about how disgusting it is to be gay. We also had to have a discussion about different religions when a classmate from school told her that if you don't believe in God, you will go to hell. She is only in 5th grade so I can't imagine what's coming next.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

One is not a "bigot" for adhering to the traditional view of marriage.  Any two people can have a relationship. However, any other relationship is not marriage. 

I love my brother....but it ain't marriage.  I love my friends...but it cannot be "marriage".   

Ad hominem attacks like name-calling are simply a desperate effort to shut down the conversation one cannot comprehend. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Yes, it is that simple unless you are a bigot

Quoting TranquilMind:

No one should be bullied or teased, regardless of belief, appearance, intelligence or any other basis.

But no, it' isn't about "so long as they love each other". 

Unsound reasoning.  Reminds me of that song from the 70's by Luther Ingram about having an affair (but at least then we recognized that some things WERE wrong, whereas today, we don't seem to have that standard):

If loving you is wrong I don't wanna be right
If being right means being without you
I'd rather live a wrong doing life
Your mama and daddy say it's a shame
It's a downright disgrace
Long as I got you by my side
I don't care what your people say

Your friends tell you there's no future
in loving a married man
If I can't see you when I want to
I'll see you when I can

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

My 15 year old know what gay marriage is. She sees her gay best friend get teased. She has stood up to the bullies and other whenever they say anything negative about gay people. It is that simple. Like she says.. "what they do is not my business. As long as they love each other, how could they be wrong?"

Quoting TranquilMind:

The fourth grader is simply echoing the politically-correct stuff coming out of the mouths of the adults around him. 

His reasoning is:  Two adults should be able to get married if they want to do it because that's what they told me. 

Wow. Bowled over there.  He doesn't understand what marriage even is.  He thinks it's a "happy day". 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM
And trying to rationalize being a bigot doesn't make it not true. A marriage is between two people who love each other and want to make
a committment. It doesn't matter if it is man and woman, 2 men or 2 women.

If your marriage is simply a contract.. Well, that sucks for you

Quoting TranquilMind:

One is not a "bigot" for adhering to the traditional view of marriage.  Any two people can have a relationship. However, any other relationship is not marriage. 

I love my brother....but it ain't marriage.  I love my friends...but it cannot be "marriage".   

Ad hominem attacks like name-calling are simply a desperate effort to shut down the conversation one cannot comprehend. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting TranquilMind:

No one should be bullied or teased, regardless of belief, appearance, intelligence or any other basis.

Unsound reasoning.  Reminds me of that song from the 70's by Luther Ingram about having an affair (but at least then we recognized that some things WERE wrong, whereas today, we don't seem to have that standard):

in loving a married man
I'll see you when I can

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

My 15 year old know what gay marriage is. She sees her gay best friend get teased. She has stood up to the bullies and other whenever they say anything negative about gay people. It is that simple. Like she says.. "what they do is not my business. As long as they love each other, how could they be wrong?"

Quoting TranquilMind:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Marriage is a union between a man and a woman, before God (whether or not they recognize Him) for the purpose of creating a family. 

Meriam-Webster added #2 recently, but even recognizes the "wannabe" connotation.

The definition:

(1): the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law

The added part:

(2): the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage>

You can call something else "marriage", but that does not make it marriage. It never was and it never will be, regardless of what way the political winds are blowing.   

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

And trying to rationalize being a bigot doesn't make it not true. A marriage is between two people who love each other and want to make
a committment. It doesn't matter if it is man and woman, 2 men or 2 women.

If your marriage is simply a contract.. Well, that sucks for you

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting TranquilMind:

in loving a married man
I'll see you when I can

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)