Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sex Worker Advocates Ask New York to Stop Punishing People for Having Condoms

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM
  • 24 Replies

Sex Worker Advocates Ask New York to Stop Punishing People for Having Condoms

Regardless of what you're using them for, you shouldn't be penalized for carrying condoms

Photo by VALERY HACHE/AFP/Getty Images

Tuesday, advocates for the health and well-being of sex workers lobbied in Albany for the passage of a bill banning the use of condoms as criminal evidence in prostitution cases. Proponents of the bill—a similar version of which already exists in San Francisco—argue that allowing condoms to be used as evidence for prostitution discourages prostitutes and their customers from using them.  Supporters of the law such as the Red Umbrella Project state that passing the bill is not an endorsement of prostitution, but "a common sense measure to ensure that people can protect themselves and each other" from disease and unwanted pregnancy. 

Even though the proposed bill does not deny the state’s right to treat prostitution as a crime, the battle over it demonstrates the debate over whether to see prostitution as a criminal justice issue or a human rights and public health one. If you put a priority on prosecuting people for sex work, then letting cops use condoms as evidence is a no-brainer, because it makes it easier to establish the suspect's intent to have sex that night (and all you have left to do is show they intended to charge for it). But if you put a priority on protecting the health of sex workers, using condoms as evidence to prosecute them is anathema, because the end result is that sex workers will avoid using condoms to avoid getting arrested. 

Human Rights Watch published a 112 page report last summer and found evidence that the fear of police harassment, arrest, and prosecution discouraged sex workers from using condoms. 

“Sex workers in each city asked us how many condoms it was legal to carry,” said Megan McLemore, senior health researcher at Human Rights Watch. “One woman in Los Angeles told us she was afraid to carry condoms with her and sometimes had to use a plastic bag instead of a condom with clients to try to protect herself from HIV.”

All of this has created a confusing situation where health departments in cities like New York hand out condoms by the bucket load, only to have the police turn around and take them from people. Nearly half of the sex workers interviewed by the Red Umbrella Project had had condoms confiscated by the police. (Just as cops will sometimes take a 12 pack from a minor without bothering to charge him, they will sometimes confiscate condoms from people they believe are sex workers without arresting them.) Forty percent of those sex workers went on to have unprotected sex with a customer.

This bill asks legislators to choose their priorities: Is it more important to prosecute prostitutes as criminals or to protect people from contracting STIs? Legislators are notoriously wary of the bill, which has been introduced annually since 1999, but  hasn’t passed. Here's hoping the health advocates win this round, because no one should have to choose between risking HIV transmission and risking arrest.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree 100%. This is insane that it's even happening. What the hell are they thinking? Whatever you feel about prostitution, don't you believe they should protect themselves and their clients?!?!?! That's just common sense. 

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Terrible idea to use condoms as evidence for anything unless they're already used. I hope the practice of penalizing safe sex is halted. What if the person is just a slut?
lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM
2 moms liked this

whaat. They should not be afraid to protect themselves, whether I agree with what their doing or not. These people most of all need condoms! And how on earth do you use condoms as proof for prostitution? Every collega guy would be up for questioning!

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM
It alludes to the intent of having sex.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

whaat. They should not be afraid to protect themselves, whether I agree with what their doing or not. These people most of all need condoms! And how on earth do you use condoms as proof for prostitution? Every collega guy would be up for questioning!

lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Yeah but that becomes a very large grey area. Because a lot of people intend to have sex who buy and carry condoms.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

It alludes to the intent of having sex.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I know and agree. But somehow they've prosecuted this way. Personally, I think that the only reason they made it illegal is because the government couldn't make money off it. Dumb. There's all kinds of prostitution goin gon everyday.

Quoting lifeforchrist:Yeah but that becomes a very large grey area. Because a lot of people intend to have sex who buy and carry condoms. Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:It alludes to the intent of having sex.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

rfurlongg
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I am honestly kind of baffled by this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

If this isn't true I don't know what is. My husband torutures me with cop shows like, Cops and Police Women of Broward County. Too many times I've seen alleged prostitutes be searched and held because they had condoms.

Sadly, cop shows are turning me into a law enforcement hater

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM

This does sound like a common-sense measure.

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

If this isn't true I don't know what is. My husband torutures me with cop shows like, Cops and Police Women of Broward County. Too many times I've seen alleged prostitutes be searched and held because they had condoms.

Sadly, cop shows are turning me into a law enforcement hater

I totally feel this way. Only I am the one who used to watch all the cop show :|

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)