Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever been harassed for breastfeeding or pumping when traveling?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM
  • 20 Replies

Flight Attendant Berates Breastfeeding Mom for Pumping on Airplane

by Jeanne Sager

breastfeedingMoms, we've got another breastfeeding brouhaha on our hands. Only -- dare I say it? -- Dawn Brahos tangle with an American Airlines flight attendant over her right to pump her breast milk on a plane might end up helping moms in the end?

Did you know some airlines actually have mom friendly pumping policies? I confess I didn't! But thanks to Dawn Brahos, now more moms should know the deal.

Most "traveling and breastfeeding" tips I've read on the internet advise moms pump in the airport or buy a battery-powered pump just for the trip (or one of those hand-powered pumps). That's what the moms I know say they've done. But Moms, it could be a heckuva lot easier than that! 

It turns out American is one of those airlines that actually has pre-approved certain electric pumps for use on its planes. That means moms can go ahead and plug them in; not questions asked. There's even an approval process for getting other brands OK'd for use on long trips away from your baby.

In the midst of all the bad news about this mom getting kicked out of this place for breastfeeding or that mom being harassed there for feeding her child, I dare say this is actually a huge win ... and one we need to celebrate.

It's unfortunate that it came out because of something not so nice, of course.

Brahos, who was taking a rare trip with her husband away from their three kids, including baby Adrien, has said she managed to pump on two different flights. It was on the last leg of her trip, after her flight home got diverted because of a storm and she had to spend an extra night in a hotel, that Brahos encountered a flight attendant with a bee in her bonnet about breast pumping on the plane. She was berated for just trying to relieve her aching, engorged boobs, and you can guess what happened next.

American has apologized big time, and Brahos is accepting their apology.

Good for the airline, and good for her for making a stink. Good for her, too, for deciding to make the story public.

She just clued countless moms into policies that could make a huge difference in their decisions on how to travel ... and make them more comfortable to boot!

Do you pump on airplanes when you travel? Have you ever been harassed?

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never had an issue with anyone about nursing or pumping and I spent most of the last five years nursing. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope- maybe the world was a kinder, more accepting place in the late 80s and early 90s when this was pertinent to  my life?

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I had many people look me in the eyes, smile, and nod in solidarity when I was breastfeeding. I even had several people vocalize their support.

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish I could have breastfed.

I planned to, and my milk never came in. My DD latched on, but nothing for 5 days except maybe collostrum at which point we had to do formula. And formula for my subsequent children.

I do sympathize with your plight. Because I also was harrassed by family and strangers alike for bottle-feeding.

Looks like other people are generally never satisfied with how other parents, parent.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM

It doesn't matter what you do. I was constantly harassed for ff. every mom must do what is best for her family and every body else needs to myob.

LindaClement
by Linda on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I've never had a baby that young on a plane. The first time my kids flew, they were 9 & 11.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

First time I had a surprise pregnancy. I had a 2 hour a day commute working ft and DH was a shad. Second time I fully planned, then learned that I could not physically do it. Both of my children are academically gifted ano perfect. People should just stfu about how mothers feed their babies.

Quoting buttersworth:

I planned to, and my milk never came in. My DD latched on, but nothing for 5 days except maybe collostrum at which point we had to do formula. And formula for my subsequent children.

I do sympathize with your plight. Because I also was harrassed by family and strangers alike for bottle-feeding.

Looks like other people are generally never satisfied with how other parents, parent.

Neon Washable Paint

rfhsure
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM
i got a dirty look from a woman in a restaurant when i was nursing with my cover on, but thats it. no one seems to give it a second thought, though my mom of all people seems really wierd that i breastfeed. but i dont care.
buttersworth
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally! They should mind their own business, period. I remember telling the nurses the second time that I wanted to try breastfeeding again....and the nurses, 3 of them, as soon as he was out, were all over my boobs. Who the f do they think they are?

Then for the third, I knew I couldnt' and kept telling them at the hospital. I was going in for premature labor, and this head nurse kept badgering me and PREACHING to me how good it was. I was so ....****

So I come home with my 2nd child and am bottle feeding, and my DH's nephew has this new gf who just happens to be a nurse who worked for a time in NICU. And she sees me get the bottle ready and says, 'You don't breast feed?" And I said just no, because it's none of her business. And she scrunches up her face. Then my DH's nephew starts making all these comments.

This was a long time ago, but it still sticks. No one's business but the Mommy's. Period.

Quoting NWP:

First time I had a surprise pregnancy. I had a 2 hour a day commute working ft and DH was a shad. Second time I fully planned, then learned that I could not physically do it. Both of my children are academically gifted ano perfect. People should just stfu about how mothers feed their babies.

Quoting buttersworth:

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

You know what, I'm for whatever anyone wants to do, breast or bottle. But I recently discovered that my 12 yr old Dd has a problem with women breastfeeding in public. Of course, I told her it's no big deal, its' natural.

BUT my point is....I'm talking to my 12 yr old daughter! A girl, going through puberty, who, because of her age, has all these awkward body issues like all 12 yrd olds. Pretty normal for a kid her age to feel weird about the possibility of seeing someone else's boob, unlike for us grown ups.

I don't get these adults with issues! Maybe they're stuck in arrested development! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured