Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Challenge to Christians: Wear an Atheist T-Shirt and Gauge Reactions

The Atheist Advocate proposes a challenge to Christians:

I often hear Christians claim that they have been persecuted throughout history and they are still being persecuted today. I don't think they know the meaning of the word! So, I'm issuing this challenge. You may choose to challenge your Christian friends as well.

Wear an Atheist shirt for a week (wash it once in a while!) everywhere you go, NOT covered up with another shirt. Allowing the public to see it clearly. If a person comments (friends, family, church members, strangers) you're not allowed to divulge which religion you actually are, or explain yourself in any way. You must only listen to what they say and respond with "I'd rather not talk about it!"

Even though it would leave a bad taste in my mouth, I would wear the Christian shirt with the same rules for the same week.

At the end of that week, who do you think would have a clearer understand of the meaning of the word persecution?

Bonus points if you do it in the South.

April 25, 2013 By

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Replies (31-40):
shannonnigans
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:12 AM
6 moms liked this
I'm not sure you're qualified to say that, much less even define it. But beyond that, it's hard to have a conversation with you when you are that defensive. Nothing horrible about my question. Atheists and other non-Christians took it on the chin for a few hundred years, at the hand of the Church. So they're hardly unfamiliar with persecution, and likewise, Catholics don't have a monopoly on being victims thereof. Not even close. So that's where you're losing me. Are you saying Atheists were/are not persecuted? Sometimes I wonder if you feel it's justified. You seemingly have a contempt for non-believers.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I am so very sorry you are so spiritually blind.

Only you can remedy that.

Veronica

Quoting shannonnigans:

Atheists don't know about persecution? For goodness sake, your Church made a business of persecuting them! What are you trying to say here? Your signature didn't fully explain, it's just a label.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

There is NO WAY on God's green earth I would do this!!!!

Persecution?   

You and this author do not EVEN begin to understand the depth of the word!!!!

People DIE for their faith and have for years.

My signature explains everything.

Veronica-Roman Catholic 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't either.  There is no way I would want anyone to think I am an athiest, even for a second.  For them to think I am an athiest, they would have to think I am denying God.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Persecution?   

Veronica-Roman Catholic 

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Quoting candlegal:

I wouldn't either.  There is no way I would want anyone to think I am an athiest, even for a second.  For them to think I am an athiest, they would have to think I am denying God.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Persecution?   

Veronica-Roman Catholic 

Same question to you, would you not wear a Juliet costume and appear in Romeo and Juliet because it would be denying who you are?  Do you not understand role playing?

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I understand role playing.  I would dress as Juliet.  I stand by my original statement. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Persecution?   

Veronica-Roman Catholic 

Same question to you, would you not wear a Juliet costume and appear in Romeo and Juliet because it would be denying who you are?  Do you not understand role playing?

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting candlegal:

I understand role playing.  I would dress as Juliet.  I stand by my original statement. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Persecution?   

Veronica-Roman Catholic 

How sad.  No wonder people can't "get" each other, they refuse to even try.

shannonnigans
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Just curious. Would you be ok if they thought you were Jewish?

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Persecution?   

Veronica-Roman Catholic 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paknari
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM
4 moms liked this
I don't think having someone say something to you is persecution. Yes there are people out there who do persecute but people in America need to start remembering what actual persecution is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I've never really been offended or persecuted for being a Christian.  Questioned about it, but I wouldn't say harassed or anything extreme.  I could easily wear the Atheist t-shirt where I live and probably no one would say anything about it.  I live in NY state.  Most people I know are at least agnostic.  I kind of doubt anyone would barely bat an eye at it.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Kmary:

I've never really been offended or persecuted for being a Christian.  Questioned about it, but I wouldn't say harassed or anything extreme.  I could easily wear the Atheist t-shirt where I live and probably no one would say anything about it.  I live in NY state.  Most people I know are at least agnostic.  I kind of doubt anyone would barely bat an eye at it.

I'm in NJ and I know for sure that being in the Northeast is in a whole different world from being in other parts of the country, particularly the South and Midwest.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM
8 moms liked this

You don't either. Trust me, most of us in the US don't. 

This is simply a social experiment..your reaction shows that you wouldn't care if a group of people beat an atheist all to Hel. 

Quick story, when I lived in Hawaii, I got pretty sick, ended up losing some hair because of it. So, for a solidarity thing (specific day) I wore a head scarf.. not full hijab, mind you, but I covered my hair. Kept my hair loss hidden, so I started wearing it daily..

It was fine in Hawaii.. no one commented, most locals would say 'Hi Auntie' and go on their way

I move to Texas... no sooner than I stepped into DFW, I had a few people telling me that I am free here and I shouldn't wear the scarf

I had a woman try to pull it off my head at the local walmart

I have had people telling me to go back to my own country (I am Mass.. born in Salem... pretty sure that is still the US, plus, I am Irish pale with freckles.. hmmmm) 

Not so much persecution, but bullying. Non christians deal with that ... some daily. That is something you will never  understand.

also, read my siggie and have a wonderful day

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Persecution?   

Veronica-Roman Catholic 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured