Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Challenge to Christians: Wear an Atheist T-Shirt and Gauge Reactions

The Atheist Advocate proposes a challenge to Christians:

I often hear Christians claim that they have been persecuted throughout history and they are still being persecuted today. I don't think they know the meaning of the word! So, I'm issuing this challenge. You may choose to challenge your Christian friends as well.

Wear an Atheist shirt for a week (wash it once in a while!) everywhere you go, NOT covered up with another shirt. Allowing the public to see it clearly. If a person comments (friends, family, church members, strangers) you're not allowed to divulge which religion you actually are, or explain yourself in any way. You must only listen to what they say and respond with "I'd rather not talk about it!"

Even though it would leave a bad taste in my mouth, I would wear the Christian shirt with the same rules for the same week.

At the end of that week, who do you think would have a clearer understand of the meaning of the word persecution?

Bonus points if you do it in the South.

April 25, 2013 By

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Replies (41-50):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:56 AM
5 moms liked this
I do not need to wear a scarf to know how they are treated. I already know. My neighbor experiences it now and then but not much, unless we go to Caddy, then she gets an occasional look. But I have asked a couple of people, what the hell they were looking at when I have gone shopping with her. I tend to have a mouth like that now and then. But to wear a shirt proclaiming to be something in my opinion is just drama, attention seeking. As I said, I could care less what a person is as long as they are not wanting to blow me up, protest a funeral or any other extremist activity.

Quoting shannonnigans:

That wasn't the point though. If someone said to me right now, listen, wear a headscarf right now to see for myself how Muslim women are treated of late, I can see that being educational. I wouldn't say no under the guise of I'm not being true to my faith.

Quoting Carpy:

I do not see a need to announce my beliefs or lack of to the world.  I don't need validation nor do I need attention.

ilana_ny
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Wear your Atheist t-shirt and go visit Iran or Iraq, no that will be a REAL challenge. :-)
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Is it scary that I am starting to like you? 

Quoting Carpy:

I do not need to wear a scarf to know how they are treated. I already know. My neighbor experiences it now and then but not much, unless we go to Caddy, then she gets an occasional look. But I have asked a couple of people, what the hell they were looking at when I have gone shopping with her. I tend to have a mouth like that now and then. But to wear a shirt proclaiming to be something in my opinion is just drama, attention seeking. As I said, I could care less what a person is as long as they are not wanting to blow me up, protest a funeral or any other extremist activity.

Quoting shannonnigans:

That wasn't the point though. If someone said to me right now, listen, wear a headscarf right now to see for myself how Muslim women are treated of late, I can see that being educational. I wouldn't say no under the guise of I'm not being true to my faith.

Quoting Carpy:

I do not see a need to announce my beliefs or lack of to the world.  I don't need validation nor do I need attention.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM

And you would proudly persecute someone wearing this shirt wouldn't you poodles.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting pixie92:

umm it didnt say wear a t shirt that said im an athiest. It also said not to lie. So how is it denying your faith or lying?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

No.

I am not a liar, and no, I will not deny my Christian faith. 

You sure like this kind of garbage, don't you, OP? 

For me, as a Christian, to put on a shirt proclaiming "Atheist" would be a lie. 

It doesn't have to say "I am".....just "atheist" would be a proclamation.  Why would I want to do that?

I will proudly wear the one proclaiming Christian though. 

Aslen
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Putting yourself in someone else's shoes does not deny your faith.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

No.

I am not a liar, and no, I will not deny my Christian faith. 

You sure like this kind of garbage, don't you, OP? 

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:10 AM

no-one is asking you to stop believing as you do. What they are asking is that you stop persecuting others who do not believe as you do. I get that you are incapable of doing that.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

You just keep believing what you believe, romalove.

I will continue believing what I believe.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting romalove:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

There is NO WAY on God's green earth I would do this!!!!

Persecution?   

You and this author do not EVEN begin to understand the depth of the word!!!!

People DIE for their faith and have for years.

My signature explains everything.

Veronica-Roman Catholic 

What would be so horrible about seeing how someone else experiences life?

And yes, people die for their faith and always have.  It isn't happening in America very much that I know of, but it does happen around the world.

And it doesn't only happen to Christians.

AMBG825
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I would rather be bashed than shot at.

Quoting cjsbmom:

When I have to hide my Bible and worship inside my home for fear someone might see me, then I could agree I'm being persecuted. I agree that Americans really don't know what that means. 

Do Christians sometimes get bashed for their beliefs? Yep. But they are still allowed to have them. Openly. That is not persecution. 

Quoting Peanutx3:

I know it can happen but American Christians don't, maybe can't understand what real persecution is.  There MAY be some minor Christian persecution in this country but until you live outside the country you won't experience the fear for your life persecution that many people from other religions feel in our country.  

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

Veronica I responded in a fact based fashion.

I agree.

If you have evidence that there are people dying for their faith in America, please, share it.

I have done this.

If you don't, you're just clinging to some ideas because they suit you.

You are a very judgemental , hard-headed woman, who knows NOTHING.

Please stop assuming you are my authority-YOU ARE NOT:  You do not believe in God as I do.

God is my authority!!!!!

I am not the only person to inform you of this, nor do I doubt I will be the LAST....

Please think about this and have a good day, romalove.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Quoting romalove:

Veronica I responded in a fact based fashion.

I agree.

If you have evidence that there are people dying for their faith in America, please, share it.

I have done this.

If you don't, you're just clinging to some ideas because they suit you.

You are a very judgemental , hard-headed woman, who knows NOTHING.

Please stop assuming you are my authority-YOU ARE NOT:  You do not believe in God as I do.

God is my authority!!!!!

I am not the only person to inform you of this, nor do I doubt I will be the LAST....

Please think about this and have a good day, romalove.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

In my world, being told by someone that they are "heard headed" and "know nothing" is a personal attack.

Aren't you capable of better debate than that?

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel sorry you have been treated the way you have been, but that is NOT the way I would have handled the situation.

I have already told people I have lived in Bolivia and was stationed in West Berlin, Germany while the wall was still up.

My heritage, being Polish, whose grandfather came here before Poland was taken over, has made me very aware of the death as the result of persecution.

Being Roman Catholic, I am very aware that people are persecuted in the world. It is NOTHING like what you have described about yourself.

I am a believer in God.

Have a good day, Sekirei.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Quoting Sekirei:

You don't either. Trust me, most of us in the US don't. 

This is simply a social experiment..your reaction shows that you wouldn't care if a group of people beat an atheist all to Hel. 

Quick story, when I lived in Hawaii, I got pretty sick, ended up losing some hair because of it. So, for a solidarity thing (specific day) I wore a head scarf.. not full hijab, mind you, but I covered my hair. Kept my hair loss hidden, so I started wearing it daily..

It was fine in Hawaii.. no one commented, most locals would say 'Hi Auntie' and go on their way

I move to Texas... no sooner than I stepped into DFW, I had a few people telling me that I am free here and I shouldn't wear the scarf

I had a woman try to pull it off my head at the local walmart

I have had people telling me to go back to my own country (I am Mass.. born in Salem... pretty sure that is still the US, plus, I am Irish pale with freckles.. hmmmm) 

Not so much persecution, but bullying. Non christians deal with that ... some daily. That is something you will never  understand.

also, read my siggie and have a wonderful day

Quoting VeronicaTex:

There is NO WAY on God's green earth I would do this!!!!

Persecution?   

You and this author do not EVEN begin to understand the depth of the word!!!!

People DIE for their faith and have for years.

My signature explains everything.

Veronica-Roman Catholic 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)