Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What books have you read to your kids?

We are reading Treasure Island and the littlest one is enjoying it the most I think:)  I have several on our to read list including Call of the Wild and Tom Sawyer. Maybe Hunger Games as I have mentioned before.

What books do you want to share with your children?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Replies (31-40):
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, I don't remember what I read my teenagers. My little guy is in Kindergarten. We're reading the first magic tree house book. He reads the first page of the chapter, and I read the rest of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armyvet06
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is only 2 but here are some we have read:

Hop on pop
Mr brown can moo, can you?
Guess how much I love you
The cat in the hat
These are my pets
Just grandpa and me
Horton hears a who
Mr dog
Walt Disney's mother goose
The pokey little puppy
The shy little kitten

greenie63
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

When they were little, Shel Silverstein (although I admit I LOVE his work wish he was still alive to create more), Dr. Seuss, The Rainbow Fish, Goodnight Moon,Goodnight Zoo (which was the favorite bedtime book for my younger two), Robert Munsch (although I could never finish reading Love You Forever without crying). 

Now they are 22, 12, and 9. so their interest vary. My younger two love love love "The Lightning Thief," the younger one loves "The Magic Tree House" chapter books, "The Boxcar Children," "Diary of a Whimpy Kid," "Captain Underpants." 

We'll see what they pick out today, we're headed to the library later. 

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM
A Wrinkle in Time, From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenwieler, Stargirl, Boy in the Striped Pajamas, and a very old book of "children's tales" that I can't remember the name of right now...
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM

The first HP book, we took turns reading aloud- they read too. I think my son was in 3rd grade at the time. My husband had been transferred and had moved ahead, it was winter and the kids and I had stayed behind and were living in this tiny apartment for 3 mos...fun times, NOT.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting armyvet06:

My daughter is only 2 but here are some we have read:

Hop on pop
Mr brown can moo, can you?
Guess how much I love you
The cat in the hat
These are my pets
Just grandpa and me
Horton hears a who
Mr dog
Walt Disney's mother goose
The pokey little puppy
The shy little kitten

I love the Dr. Seuss board books like Mr. Brown Can Moo! My daughter has them memorized and "reads" them to her little brother like a champ. She has also formed a pretty decent amount of site words from the books.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM

We are working on the Laura Ingalls Wilder series.  We are in Little House on the Prarie.  They liked Little house in the Big Woods.

They are 5 and 7 so we usually go with their choices, current favs are The Pout Pout Fish, an annoying series about fairies, and Junie B, First Grader.  They usually pick something we can finish in one night, though.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I loved A Wrinkle in Time and From the Mixed up Files as a kid.  It is a little tough because my 5 year old isn't patient enough for the longer books, and my 1st grader wants to be the one reading and the 5 year old will not tolerate that, it has to be me reading or she gets mad and wants to read too, but she can only sound out a couple of words.  

One more year and I bet we will get to them!

Quoting stringtheory:

A Wrinkle in Time, From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenwieler, Stargirl, Boy in the Striped Pajamas, and a very old book of "children's tales" that I can't remember the name of right now...

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Is it the magical animal fairies series? My dd is sooooo into fairies right now. she has asked me a million time if i believe they are real. i refuse to lie and refuse to answer honestly, too. i simply say that some believe and some don't and my opinion shouldn't impact her opinion. The unspoken rule at our house is the kids can read whatever they want by themselves (annoying fairy crap) but read aloud books have to be something everyone will enjoy like Harry potter, narnia, Ramona books, etc.

Quoting stacymomof2:

We are working on the Laura Ingalls Wilder series.  We are in Little House on the Prarie.  They liked Little house in the Big Woods.

They are 5 and 7 so we usually go with their choices, current favs are The Pout Pout Fish, an annoying series about fairies, and Junie B, First Grader.  They usually pick something we can finish in one night, though.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Mixed up Files was one of my favorites as a kid (I would still love to live in a museum, haha). Dd didn't really like A Wrinkle in Time (she was 9 when we read it), so I hope she reads it again when she's older; I think I enjoyed it better as an adult, so maybe she'll grow into it, too.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I loved A Wrinkle in Time and From the Mixed up Files as a kid.  It is a little tough because my 5 year old isn't patient enough for the longer books, and my 1st grader wants to be the one reading and the 5 year old will not tolerate that, it has to be me reading or she gets mad and wants to read too, but she can only sound out a couple of words.  

One more year and I bet we will get to them!

Quoting stringtheory:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured