Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What books have you read to your kids?

We are reading Treasure Island and the littlest one is enjoying it the most I think:)  I have several on our to read list including Call of the Wild and Tom Sawyer. Maybe Hunger Games as I have mentioned before.

What books do you want to share with your children?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Replies (51-60):
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel exactly the same way about Sci-Fi. I also am not a fantasy fan, lol. I really wish there was good Girl-Power science fiction out there, but i'm convinced now I will have to write it myself ;) If anyone out there knows some good ones, please, let me know!

Quoting stacymomof2:

Talking about it makes me want to get it now!  I was a sci-fi freak from ages 10-15 or so, I still like it but so much of it geared towards adults is so trashy.  And I'm not really a fan of fantasy like Watership down and Lord of the Rings.  (Terrible, I know, but I loved the movies, lol)

The sci fi classics (in retrospect) are really pretty misogynistic (Asimov, Bradbury, etc.)  I don't want my daughter who loves science to get the idea that a female scientist is a "woman scientist" who surprises everyone with her competence.  lol Maybe I'm taking it too seriously.  But my daughter has a talent for math and science and I want her to see it as "normal" for a woman to be into those things.

Quoting stringtheory:

Mixed up Files was one of my favorites as a kid (I would still love to live in a museum, haha). Dd didn't really like A Wrinkle in Time (she was 9 when we read it), so I hope she reads it again when she's older; I think I enjoyed it better as an adult, so maybe she'll grow into it, too.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I loved A Wrinkle in Time and From the Mixed up Files as a kid.  It is a little tough because my 5 year old isn't patient enough for the longer books, and my 1st grader wants to be the one reading and the 5 year old will not tolerate that, it has to be me reading or she gets mad and wants to read too, but she can only sound out a couple of words.  

One more year and I bet we will get to them!

Quoting stringtheory:

A Wrinkle in Time, From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenwieler, Stargirl, Boy in the Striped Pajamas, and a very old book of "children's tales" that I can't remember the name of right now...

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Man, I hear you! I don't like them either, but I too think that as long as they are reading, it is a good thing. We started doing books on tape in the car. They got to enjoying higher leveled books that way. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yep, that's it!  Rainbow Fairies.  I cannot tolerate them, yuck!  But I always want my girls to get the chance to choose what they like.  When they are both reading on their own I will get very picky on what I will read aloud, and they can read that garbage to themselves.  Haha

Charlie Small, huh?  I will check it out!

Quoting desertlvn:

We stumbled across a Charlie Small book on tape at the library. It is one adventure after another. My 4 yr old (at the time) loved it and so did HDTV and I. Maybe that would hold her interest.

and I just remembered it it the rainbow fairy series that my dd loves. Bet it is the same one your dd is into.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Ugh, it's some "sparkle fairy" series geared towards new readers.  The stories are poorly written and hard to follow.  I do NOT reccomend them. They are about a first grade level for reading, so my first grader loves them since she can read them aloud, but they offend my tastes.  I tried the Narnia series, which I loved, but it's over their heads right now, they start slow and my girls aren't patient enough yet to tolerate a couple of chapters of introduction, especially the 5 year old.  Maybe in another year.

My sister told my girls fairies were real (ugh) and it annoyed me.  It kind of takes the magic out of it, IMO.  I always say "that would be great, wouldn't it?  Where would a fairy like to live, what do you suppose they would do," etc etc.  I think flat out saying they are real kind of kills the magic in a way.

Quoting desertlvn:

Is it the magical animal fairies series? My dd is sooooo into fairies right now. she has asked me a million time if i believe they are real. i refuse to lie and refuse to answer honestly, too. i simply say that some believe and some don't and my opinion shouldn't impact her opinion. The unspoken rule at our house is the kids can read whatever they want by themselves (annoying fairy crap) but read aloud books have to be something everyone will enjoy like Harry potter, narnia, Ramona books, etc.

Quoting stacymomof2:

We are working on the Laura Ingalls Wilder series.  We are in Little House on the Prarie.  They liked Little house in the Big Woods.

They are 5 and 7 so we usually go with their choices, current favs are The Pout Pout Fish, an annoying series about fairies, and Junie B, First Grader.  They usually pick something we can finish in one night, though.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds great!  That is the kind of thing my 5 year old would like.  She is quite philosophical, during the morning commute to preschool she is always shocking me with complex questions about the meaning of life, God, what happens when you die, why some people are poor, why are some people from other countries, how do animals think, what is love, etc etc.  

I'm always thinking, please, girl, not at 8:00 in the morning, I'm only on my 1st cup of coffee.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting desertlvn:

What is arm in arm about?

Quoting romalove:

Arm in Arm by Remy Charlip, especially for a bright or creative child

The Borrowers

Arm in Arm is a children's book but it's not a story book.  It's a collection of "stuff", interesting little puzzle things, short stories and poems, and things that make you think.  The opening is a short story about two octopus' who go down the aisle arm in arm in arm in arm in arm etc.  There will be a page and on one side of the page will be a sign that says "what is written on the other side of this page is not true" and the same sign will be written on the opposite side of the page, which leads to the conundrum of how can they both be true.  There are pictures of fanciful animals with tails that become pictures, and all sorts of interesting tales.

It was my favorite as a kid and I bought it for my own kids.

I recommend it highly.

gabeybaby07
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Curious george and dr. seuss big book - we are currently on horton hears a who. It was hilarious when we read the "oobleck" story... he kept dying hysterical - like side splitting laughter, tears in his eyes- every time we said oobleck.. or he would stop me mid sentence "im sorry im sorry....oobleck, hahahahhhaah. I dont know why i like saying that word obleck hahahaahahahaahah" lol crazy kid

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I always wonder why they group sci-fi and fantasy together.  I know there is crossover but how do you put Asimov next to Tolkien?  lol

Did you ever read "The Gismo from Outer Space"?  I looked it up to buy online and they were wanting $20-$30 for it.  I guess it's out of print and is a collector's item now.  Ugh I am old.

Quoting stringtheory:

I feel exactly the same way about Sci-Fi. I also am not a fantasy fan, lol. I really wish there was good Girl-Power science fiction out there, but i'm convinced now I will have to write it myself ;) If anyone out there knows some good ones, please, let me know!

Quoting stacymomof2:

Talking about it makes me want to get it now!  I was a sci-fi freak from ages 10-15 or so, I still like it but so much of it geared towards adults is so trashy.  And I'm not really a fan of fantasy like Watership down and Lord of the Rings.  (Terrible, I know, but I loved the movies, lol)

The sci fi classics (in retrospect) are really pretty misogynistic (Asimov, Bradbury, etc.)  I don't want my daughter who loves science to get the idea that a female scientist is a "woman scientist" who surprises everyone with her competence.  lol Maybe I'm taking it too seriously.  But my daughter has a talent for math and science and I want her to see it as "normal" for a woman to be into those things.

Quoting stringtheory:

Mixed up Files was one of my favorites as a kid (I would still love to live in a museum, haha). Dd didn't really like A Wrinkle in Time (she was 9 when we read it), so I hope she reads it again when she's older; I think I enjoyed it better as an adult, so maybe she'll grow into it, too.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I loved A Wrinkle in Time and From the Mixed up Files as a kid.  It is a little tough because my 5 year old isn't patient enough for the longer books, and my 1st grader wants to be the one reading and the 5 year old will not tolerate that, it has to be me reading or she gets mad and wants to read too, but she can only sound out a couple of words.  

One more year and I bet we will get to them!

Quoting stringtheory:

A Wrinkle in Time, From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenwieler, Stargirl, Boy in the Striped Pajamas, and a very old book of "children's tales" that I can't remember the name of right now...

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM

We also really like most of the Sandra Boynton books

Quoting armyvet06:

Mine can almost recite the entire hop on pop book
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM

That's a good idea.  I'll download some stuff to my ipod.

Quoting desertlvn:

Man, I hear you! I don't like them either, but I too think that as long as they are reading, it is a good thing. We started doing books on tape in the car. They got to enjoying higher leveled books that way. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yep, that's it!  Rainbow Fairies.  I cannot tolerate them, yuck!  But I always want my girls to get the chance to choose what they like.  When they are both reading on their own I will get very picky on what I will read aloud, and they can read that garbage to themselves.  Haha

Charlie Small, huh?  I will check it out!

Quoting desertlvn:

We stumbled across a Charlie Small book on tape at the library. It is one adventure after another. My 4 yr old (at the time) loved it and so did HDTV and I. Maybe that would hold her interest.

and I just remembered it it the rainbow fairy series that my dd loves. Bet it is the same one your dd is into.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Ugh, it's some "sparkle fairy" series geared towards new readers.  The stories are poorly written and hard to follow.  I do NOT reccomend them. They are about a first grade level for reading, so my first grader loves them since she can read them aloud, but they offend my tastes.  I tried the Narnia series, which I loved, but it's over their heads right now, they start slow and my girls aren't patient enough yet to tolerate a couple of chapters of introduction, especially the 5 year old.  Maybe in another year.

My sister told my girls fairies were real (ugh) and it annoyed me.  It kind of takes the magic out of it, IMO.  I always say "that would be great, wouldn't it?  Where would a fairy like to live, what do you suppose they would do," etc etc.  I think flat out saying they are real kind of kills the magic in a way.

Quoting desertlvn:

Is it the magical animal fairies series? My dd is sooooo into fairies right now. she has asked me a million time if i believe they are real. i refuse to lie and refuse to answer honestly, too. i simply say that some believe and some don't and my opinion shouldn't impact her opinion. The unspoken rule at our house is the kids can read whatever they want by themselves (annoying fairy crap) but read aloud books have to be something everyone will enjoy like Harry potter, narnia, Ramona books, etc.

Quoting stacymomof2:

We are working on the Laura Ingalls Wilder series.  We are in Little House on the Prarie.  They liked Little house in the Big Woods.

They are 5 and 7 so we usually go with their choices, current favs are The Pout Pout Fish, an annoying series about fairies, and Junie B, First Grader.  They usually pick something we can finish in one night, though.

armyvet06
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM
What books does she write?

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting armyvet06:

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

some of our favs

Book Cover Image. Title: The Going to Bed Book, Author: by Sandra Boynton

Book Cover Image. Title: But Not the Hippopotamus, Author: by Sandra Boynton

Book Cover Image. Title: Barnyard Dance!, Author: by Sandra Boynton

Book Cover Image. Title: Happy Hippo, Angry Duck:  A Book of Moods, Author: by Sandra Boynton

Book Cover Image. Title: Pajama Time!, Author: by Sandra Boynton

Book Cover Image. Title: Hippos Go Berserk!, Author: by Sandra Boynton

Quoting armyvet06:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting armyvet06:

armyvet06
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to have to look for those

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

some of our favs

Book Cover Image. Title: The Going to Bed Book, Author: by Sandra Boynton

Book Cover Image. Title: But Not the Hippopotamus, Author: by Sandra Boynton

Book Cover Image. Title: Barnyard Dance!, Author: by Sandra Boynton

Book Cover Image. Title: Happy Hippo, Angry Duck:  A Book of Moods, Author: by Sandra Boynton

Book Cover Image. Title: Pajama Time!, Author: by Sandra Boynton

Book Cover Image. Title: Hippos Go Berserk!, Author: by Sandra Boynton

Quoting armyvet06:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting armyvet06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN