Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Report: U.S. tortured detainees

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

A nonpartisan panel declared Tuesday it was “indisputable” that the United States tortured detainees in the years after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, and said the nation’s “highest officials bear some responsibility for allowing and contributing the spread of torture.”

The 11-member panel, convened by the Constitution Project after the federal government decided not to establish a truth commission-style examination of torture allegations, was led by former GOP congressman Asa Hutchinson and former Democratic Rep. James Jones.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/us-detainee-torture-report-90138.html#ixzz2Rfm64mZ2

So they are admitting it and releasing a report.  I don't know how I missed this story early in the week.  What should happen from here?  I have a feeling that this will be met with head shaking and vague promises, and then ignored.  Did I miss any reaction to this by the current or past administrations?  

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Well, first of all, this makes me sick.

Secondly, everyone involved in the torture should be tried for war crimes.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I heard about this earlier in the week. The report was released by accident, and then they had to own up to it. 

I am disappointed, but not shocked, that it happened. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I was shocked that they came out and admitted it, even if it was just an ad-hoc task force.

I am also shocked that this isn't bigger news.  I guess everyone who knew it was true is not surprised, and everyone who denies it won't believe it, and the rest just don't care.  

That is a sad commentary, right there.

Quoting cjsbmom:

I heard about this earlier in the week. The report was released by accident, and then they had to own up to it. 

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM
I'm going to guess that if this post gets some traction, you'll see some members defend and/or applaud it. Hope I'm wrong.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I was shocked that they came out and admitted it, even if it was just an ad-hoc task force.

I am also shocked that this isn't bigger news.  I guess everyone who knew it was true is not surprised, and everyone who denies it won't believe it, and the rest just don't care.  

Quoting cjsbmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dee0886
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM

"Fair, firm, and impartial"....DH worked for a year at GITMO and when I ask if anything went on there, thats what he would say to me...

he wasn't high ranking enough to be witness to anything or participate but i do know he was asked to do another tour there and declined. I know he can't tell me why.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

The report also said that they didn't get any information from the torture, that it didn't help.  There have been people saying that all along but they are always ignored.  People want to believe it helps in some way but it doesn't.

Quoting shannonnigans:

I'm going to guess that if this post gets some traction, you'll see some members defend and/or applaud it. Hope I'm wrong.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting cjsbmom:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Hm.  I'll bet his story is a common one.

Quoting Dee0886:

"Fair, firm, and impartial"....DH worked for a year at GITMO and when I ask if anything went on there, thats what he would say to me...

he wasn't high ranking enough to be witness to anything or participate but i do know he was asked to do another tour there and declined. I know he can't tell me why.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I'm already so disenchanted with what I read here. Last night I read a post where someone said we should screen and deny admission to this country to anyone who is Muslim. Period. Anyone else OK, but if you're Muslim, forget it. So I am sure you'll get some who will take you to task for posting this.

Quoting stacymomof2:

The report also said that they didn't get any information from the torture, that it didn't help.  There have been people saying that all along but they are always ignored.  People want to believe it helps in some way but it doesn't.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Luckily I don't know anyone IRL who thinks like that.  Even the most extreme conservatives I know would take issue with that.  

Quoting shannonnigans:

I'm already so disenchanted with what I read here. Last night I read a post where someone said we should screen and deny admission to this country to anyone who is Muslim. Period. Anyone else OK, but if you're Muslim, forget it. So I am sure you'll get some who will take you to task for posting this.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting cjsbmom:

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Here in the CM world, it was heartily endorsed by the usual suspects.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Luckily I don't know anyone IRL who thinks like that.  Even the most extreme conservatives I know would take issue with that.  

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)