Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are you consciously religious?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 42 Replies

Poll

Question: Please choose one

Options:

I practice the religion I was raised into

I practice the religion that I chose

I left the religion that I was raised in because it didn't mke sense to me

I'm not a religious person

I don't believe in God

I'm looking for a religion that makes sense to me

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 57

View Results

Or has your religion been indoctrinated into you?

If you're not religious, when did you make the concious choice not to be?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I voted other. I'm Deist, which is a general belief system...but I wouldn't really classify it as a religion. It was not the religion I was raised in, nor the only thing I have studied.
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM

More than one of those apply to me. However, I practice the path that makes the most sense and called to me. 

I left the RCC at 16

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I technically practice the religion I was raised in but I am not religious.
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

This is me. I was raised Christian, I believe in the Christian God and the Bible, but I'm not overly religioius in that I don't attend church and I do/believe things that wouldn't really qualify me as a "good" Christian.

Quoting Peanutx3:

I technically practice the religion I was raised in but I am not religious.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM
4 moms liked this

Raised RCC- schooled in the faith for 16 years.

No longer practicing. Have studied other faith groups and have finally accepted that the Golden Rule works for me.

I am totally accepting of others' beliefs as long as those folks are not attempting to cram those beliefs down my throat. I will call out a hypocrite if needed and do NOT want individual faith groups inferring or co-mingling with government on any level.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM
I wasnt raised in a particular religion. I guess we were vaguely Christian but it wasnt something we discussed as a family. Became pagan in middle school and practiced that until about two years ago when I converted and was recieved into the Catholic Church. My family thinks i'm nuts :D
Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not practice the religion I was raised in, which is Pentecostal.

I am unsure of God's existence, which my understanding is more akin to being Agnostic.

I do believe that a man named Jesus Christ existed, lived and was a remarkable teacher and human being. I also believe he probably had a family of his own. Just makes sense to me.

I do not take the Bible as literal fact and see it more as symbolic and metaphoric.

Sooo...not sure what religion my beliefs fall under. lol

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not consciously religious.  I was raised a lax Lutheran.  My mother was not a fan of the church back then so spent a few months each year trying to find a fit for herself and us.  I identified as Lutheran as that is the denomination of my family.  I joined and regularly attended church in my early 20s.  

I conciously left religion behind when I realized that depending on it was preventing me from taking a proactive role in turning my life around.  

MommyBee12808
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I was raised Catholic but now I'm an atheist.
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I was raised without a religion(something my mom regrets). When I was 18 I started seeking spiritual fulfillment. I was repelled by mainstream religions save Buddhism. I soaked Buddhism up, went to group meditations, learning workshops, read every book on the subject I could find. I eventually was turned off by all the rituals. 

Today I relate to Buddhist morality, but am otherwise completely turned off by religion. I am a deeply moral person without a faith.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN