Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Please choose one

Options:

I practice the religion I was raised into

I practice the religion that I chose

I left the religion that I was raised in because it didn't mke sense to me

I'm not a religious person

I don't believe in God

I'm looking for a religion that makes sense to me

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 57

View Results

Or has your religion been indoctrinated into you?

If you're not religious, when did you make the concious choice not to be?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting desertlvn:

I was raised without a religion(something my mom regrets). When I was 18 I started seeking spiritual fulfillment. I was repelled by mainstream religions save Buddhism. I soaked Buddhism up, went to group meditations, learning workshops, read every book on the subject I could find. I eventually was turned off by all the rituals. 

Today I relate to Buddhist morality, but am otherwise completely turned off by religion. I am a deeply moral person without a faith.

IMO, the moral part and how you treat others is far more important than the rituals part. The rituals part is what the individual thrives on- the substance is what the community and mankind survives on; makes the planet a better place. I know a person who was deeply devout and fixated on the rituals, but never extended those practices beyond herself. Her only concern was her individual salvation. IMO, she was missing the big picture.

Too many are "selfish" when it comes to faith- it's sad, really.

Generica
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I was raised SDA, now I am a non denominationl Christian, my Buddhist cousing thinks I'm so open minded that I should be Buddhist lol

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Quoting Generica:

I was raised SDA, now I am a non denominationl Christian, my Buddhist cousing thinks I'm so open minded that I should be Buddhist lol

Is buddhism a religion or more of a lifestyle?

Generica
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Generica:

Ya know i'm not sure...seems like more of a lifestyle though.

viv212
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Pretty much the same for me but I do pray everyday and have a strong faith in God. I can't call myself a practicing Catholic though.

Quoting Sisteract:

Raised RCC- schooled in the faith for 16 years.

No longer practicing. Have studied other faith groups and have finally accepted that the Golden Rule works for me.

I am totally accepting of others' beliefs as long as those folks are not attempting to cram those beliefs down my throat. I will call out a hypocrite if needed and do NOT want individual faith groups inferring or co-mingling with government on any level.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I suppose it depends on how you define religion...for some it is Christian, Islam..ect...for others it is Catholic, Baptist...

I define it by church becase in the Christian faith alone there are thousands of differing churches with their own doctrines.

With this being said...I was raised Baptist and chose to become Catholic.

Generica
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Generica:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Generica:

http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell03.htm

Buddhism cannot, therefore, strictly be called a religion because it is neither a system of faith and worship, nor "the outward act or form by which men indicate their recognition of the existence of a God or gods having power over their own destiny to whom obedience, service, and honor are due." 

Thanks you got me curious!

ElleAimeleVie
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I'm a Christian (of sorts), I was raised Christian but a very different type of Christian that I am today. I have done a lot of searching and I am always learning.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I was raised fundamentalist Christian and am now an atheist.  The Christians I grew up among definitely influenced my desire to be someone who lives according to a set of values and treats others with kindness.  The Christians I knew as a child did not provide good models of this kind of behavior, but I appreciated the goals and the concept.  I found some good role models (most not religious) for consistent ethical behavior later in life.  

ElleAimeleVie
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this

I love Buddhism, I have learned a lot from it and have put a lot of it into practice, but I am still a Christian.
I came across this quote and I just love it. 

Quoting Generica:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Generica:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)